Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Are 2005 fires a problem? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/are-2005-fires-a-problem-613120/)

cookndoc May 4th, 2006 07:49 PM

Are 2005 fires a problem?

We have been planning a trip this year to Porto and northern Portugal and wonder if there was a lot of destruction from last year's wildfires. Anyone have a clue on whether this will be like visiting Yellowstone after its big fire?
Thanks.

lobo_mau May 5th, 2006 01:52 AM

Yes, they are. Imho you should go to Seville instead. The people is nice and the area is fire free.

Tere May 5th, 2006 02:48 AM

I have to disagree Lobo Mau. There are fires in Summer , yes, but I never heard it could stop anyone from visiting Porto and the north. And to send someone to Spain instead of coming here, por favor...!!!!!! At least you could advise to go to another Portuguese region.
I wonder what you and Matt advise on your nonstop longish post on Portugal.....

Cookndoc, I have another opinion, I think you can come to Portugal, visit Porto, Guimaraes, Ponte de Lima , Viana do Castelo, Bragança, etc,( all beautiful places and you will have no problems), I would only avoid the forest areas, such as Gerês. And forget Sevilha, it's in Spain and I think it has nothing to do with northern Portugal.
Have a wonderful trip:)

Teresa

rjsol May 5th, 2006 02:58 AM

Agree with Teresa.

Matt_from_England May 6th, 2006 01:07 AM

<i>&quot;I wonder what you and Matt advise on your nonstop longish post on Portugal&quot;</i>

I don't know what Lobo has been smoking here but if you are really wondering Tere why don't you drop in once in a while and actually have a look? Seems most people are pretty happy with the content...

Matt

Tere May 6th, 2006 06:05 AM

I had a look at one of your posts once Matt, but it was so long I don't really have the time to read it all. Actually, I could even see your photos at some lunch or dinner and the description of what you had eaten. Not very helpful for others, the part I read, though I am sure you can provide good help in between some information I don't think is that helpful.

But I truly have nothing to do with what you write or don't wirte in your post. It is supposed to provide information on Portugal, isn't it? Good! I just hope it's not the kind of information Lobo Mau gave here, and that you surely read......!

Sorry, I didn't mean to mess with you,pr criticize you, just didn't like the reply Lobo Mau gave to this poster, it has nothing to do with you. I mentioned you as a reference to the post where I know he also posts.

Teresa

lobo_mau May 6th, 2006 10:32 AM

My dear
Your opinion is different from mine? That's the beauty of democracy.
No need for anybody to remain upset. I enjoy your contributions here in Fodors.
Joao

Tere May 6th, 2006 12:27 PM

I didn't like does mean I got upset, I think, not in my dictionary. Lol, if I got upset for things like that I would already be in hell!
And as far as democracy I am not a very 25th April person, sorry, so please use another word. I am very nationalist though, that's why I didn't like someone to recommend Spain over Portugal....;)
Have a great weekend

Teresa

lobo_mau May 6th, 2006 01:11 PM

Thak you. I wish the same to you.

cookndoc May 6th, 2006 08:38 PM

Thanks for all of the opinions (I didn't really intend to start a border war). Actually, we ARE starting in Seville and then heading north before turning west to Portugal. We have a week in Spain and one in Portugal (I hope now everyone is happy). I was just concerned that we might need to do some detouring on our way to Porto. Current plans have us heading through Bussaco (2 nights) to Coimbra and Aveiro and then north to Porto for 4 nights (exploring the Douro and north to Viana de Castelo on day trips). But if the fires have affected the Coimbra area too much, we may simply want to head to the Minho and skip the Beiras.
Gracias and Obrigado,
Howard

tondalaya May 6th, 2006 09:14 PM

cookndoc, my daughter loves Portugal, finds the people warm and welcome her.

Toninha May 8th, 2006 02:26 PM

No, the North of Portugal still have lots of trees!!!:)
I especially recommend:
Bussaco (1 night)
Coimbra
Aveiro (1 night), you can see around beautiful places(Costa Nova/Barra/S&atilde;o Jacinto)
Porto (? nights, that depends of the time you have)(One of the best cities of Portugal, to mee!!)
Amarante
Guimar&atilde;es (&quot;Where Portugal was born&quot;, very historical)
Viana do Castelo and please, if you have time go to Caminha and Valen&ccedil;a do Minho, you gonna love it, beautiful views!
The north still is the most &quot;green&quot; region of this Country!

Neopolitan May 8th, 2006 03:29 PM

I read the question . . . 2005 fires. . . and thought &quot;wow, that's a lot of fires.&quot;

Must be past cocktail time!