Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Arcos de la Frontera (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/arcos-de-la-frontera-400753/)

kommander18 Jul 24th, 2008 09:18 AM

Arcos de la Frontera

Trying to narrow my route down on a 10 day trip to Spain and the last decision I need to make is if Arcos de la Frontera is worth the trip considering we do want to go to Granada, Sevilla, Ronda, and perhaps the coast. It is hard to narrow this down, but any feedback on this area would certainly help me get there. Thank you in advance!!

josele Jul 25th, 2008 09:40 AM

Of course it is worth the trip, but if you have little time and if you are visiting Ronda (which you may find similar), you may skip it.

Graziella5b Jul 25th, 2008 10:47 AM

I totally agree with Josele, we thought it was a lovely town. The Parador rooms have a little balcony over the most striking panorama. But if you are short of time you have to consider that in that general area Spain has many charming places,....it is impossible to see them all, so it is better in my opinion to stay longer in fewer places.
Should you choose Arcos, I notices besides the Parador a nice charming small hotel El Convento, not far from the Parador. We had dinner once in its restaurant and was very nice.

josele Jul 27th, 2008 03:13 AM

Just to mention that not all the rooms at El Convento have a view. The one I was unlucky to have didn't, you had to wald an aisle to a comon terrace. If you spend the night there, check.

CathyM Aug 1st, 2008 02:25 PM

If you are driving and can stop in Arcos along the route from Sevilla to Ronda, I'd skip spending the night in Arcos and base myself in Ronda. They are both beautiful white villages but with only 10 days I'd probably limit my choice to Arcos or Ronda.

A comment on the lovely restaurante, El Convento. Unfortunately it is closed. I helped friends plan a trip this spring and emailed the hotel to see if they could make a reservation. They responsded the restaurant had been closed.

littlemountain Aug 1st, 2008 03:30 PM

If you only have 10 days, I would be inclined to leave Arcos de la Frontera out as a place to overnight. It is smaller than Ronda but does have a similar feel. In the area that you are travelling in, we gave 4 days to Sevilla, 3 days to Ronda, 2 days to Arcos del Frontera, 2 days to Tarifa, 2 days to Nerja and 3 days to Granada. If I had to shorten that to 10 days I would go 3 days to Sevilla, 2 days to Ronda, 3 days to Tarifa/Ronda and (with Alhambra reservation firmly in hand) 2 days in Granada.

So disappointing to learn the El Convento restaurant may be closed. We had a very nice meal there and the lady who owned it was most gracious.

NorCal Aug 2nd, 2008 09:23 PM

Yes, I agree with others. Arcos is nice, but Ronda (a bit further) is truly noteworthy. The Parador in Arcos is nice, but overall the situation in Ronda is FANTASTIC!

In short, skip Arcos de la Frontera.

Graziella5b Aug 3rd, 2008 03:55 AM

I agree but for me the view from the rooms in the Parador in Arcos was superb.... I feel both towns are different but if you are short of time you must make a choice and leave one aside.