COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Archeologia Card and Possible Itinerary in Rome

Old Jul 7th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Original Poster

I was trying to find the current price of this card on the Official Rome Tourism site but this card isn't mentioned at all, only the Roma Pass is listed.

On this site, it said it's 27.50 euros.
http://www.rome.info/museums/cards/

But in some guidebooks I checked out for 2009, it stated the price was 22 euros.

Which one is correct?

I was also trying to plan what I would do each day in Rome with the Card and the Roma Pass. I probably packed each day too full, but just wanted to see which days aren't realistic.

Thanks!

Rome Day 1
Arrive
National Museums
Baths of Caracalla plus walk around South Rome

Rome Day 2
Forum, Colosseum, Palatine Hill, Pantheon

Rome Day 3
Ancient Appian Way
Walk around Trastevere area, maybe visit Jewish museum

Rome Day 4 – start using Roma Card
Borghese Gallery
Capitol Hill Museum and walk around area
Trajan’s market

Rome Day 5 – Roma Card
Ostia Antiga
Castel Sant’Angelo

Rome Day 6 – Roma Card
Museum of Roman Civilization
Montemartini Museum
Altar of Peace

Rome Day 7
Vatican City

Rome Day 8
Depart
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 02:41 AM

I don't think you can visit the National Museums (there are four locations) *and* the Baths of Caracalla the same day, particularly if you're coming off an overnight flight.

Rearrange your plan to include the Colosseum/Palatine/Roman Forum combo and the Borghese Gallery as your two free admissions with the Roma Pass; they're the most expensive tickets. You need a timed entry to the Borghese Gallery, which you can only reserve by phone.

I don't think the Archeologia Card would save you any money.
According to the most frequently updated site about Rome - www.060608.it - it costs 23.50 Euro.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 03:20 AM

You are going to get Ancient ruins overload by the end of day 3, so I agree w/Zerlina switch your days around, including the most expensive tickets to be covered w/Roma Pass. The pass will also allow you three days of free metro/bus rides. Use it to get to The Vatican, which BTW you should allow more than a day, there are about 32 museums within the Vatican Museums complex. Confirm Opening Days/hours, i.e. Castel Sant'Angelo is closed Mondays.... Try to get a day trip in; I recommend Assisi or Pompeii for a change of scenery.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 05:31 AM

The actual price of the Archaeology Card is 20€ + 2€ for exhibitions. It doesn't cover very many places, but is good for 7 days.
ARCHAEOLOGIA CARD valid 7 days for Palazzo Massimo, Palazzo Altemps, Crypta Balbi, Terme di Diocleziano, Colosseo, Foro Romano and Palatino, Terme di Caracalla, Villa dei Quintili, Mausoleo di Cecilia Metella:
ADULTS € 20,00 + € 2,00 (for exhibitions)+ 1.50€ service fee for advanced purchase.

The exhibition fee can be upped to 3€ during certain times. If you advance purchase, you have to pick up at the Colosseum.
Old Jul 8th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the information and advice. I'll push Baths of Caracalla to another day. I've looked on the map to see where places are, but it's hard to gauge how long I will end up staying at each, plus how far attractions are to reach, so your advice is invaluable.

I was going to use the Roma Pass for the Colosseum, but when I saw that it was also covered by the Archaeologia Card, I pushed it earlier in the itinerary (I arrive on Sat and wanted to avoid using the Roma card until Tuesday since most of the places covered by it closed on Monday... thus, Day 4 is a Tuesday).

I was debating about the Archaeologia Card since I don't want overload, but I read it pays for the entire cost of entry each of the places listed, so I figured it would be worthwhile if I end up visiting most of them.

Rome is my last stop in an Italy trip... I would have spent a week in Sorrento before visiting the coast, Pompeii, etc.
Old Jul 10th, 2009, 05:01 AM

while i love ostia, i don't think that you should go if you are already going to pompeii before you get to rome.
i would also suggest a trip to the etruscan museum in the morning before you head to the borghese. it is very small and manageable and easily visited on your way to the borghese. and it was very interesting and empty.
the roman civ/montemartini is a great idea - get a morning start and you can be back in time for lunch.
the altar of peace is small and won't take long - you could pop in there at any time during the week.