Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aran Islands decent place to eat ???? Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 03:17 AM
Aran

Dear All<BR><BR>We are spending an evening on Aran soon and want to find a place to have a meal- not a chip van or five star please but something in the middle. We like our wine, love seafood and are Irish (not that that makes a difference) so it needn't be touristy. Any recommendations gladly received.<BR><BR>We are staying in Kilronan-anywhere near there would be excellent.<BR><BR>Thank you

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 05:13 AM
aran

Eating in Aran Islands?<BR><BR>No-one eats out there- bring a packed lunch or buy food in the local spar shop.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:19 AM
aran

topping- Has anyone ever eaten out in Aran

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Mike

It's been a couple years, but I had breakfast in a coffee shop and a great lunch in a little restaurant in Kilronan. We left on the last boat, so I can't say what happens in the evening. I think there were a couple pubs, though.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 09:28 AM
kayd

I don't think that "eating out" is much of an option in Kilronan, but we did get a snack of some sort. The town consists of only about a dozen buildings. <BR>My Inishmoor visit was a daytrip from Doolin several years ago and Dun Aengus was my principal reason for going there, so obviously I didn't look for dinner, but the Spar market was very busy. <BR><BR>Since you are staying in Kilronan, why not ring up your hosts there -- they are sure to know of all the possibilities.

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 10:19 AM
jpm

Ok, this is dated, (4 years) but I remember two or three pubs on the island that I am sure serve food. Also, I take it you are spending the night (???), if so, arrange with your host to provide a local homecook meal for you - would be worth the experience.