Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Aran Island Day Trip? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aran-island-day-trip-350330/)

Pawleys Aug 21st, 2003 09:39 AM

Aran Island Day Trip?

Has anyone done a daytrip to the Aran Is from the Doolin area? How big is the boat and would it be tough on those susceptible to sea sickness? Would it be worth spending one of the 9 days we'll have to visit the W/SW of Ireland. Our trip is in a couple of weeks.

kayd Aug 21st, 2003 10:34 AM

It can be a rough trip. The boat I took five years ago was pretty small and not at all luxurious.
I'd probably decide at the last minute, after checking weather and tide forecasts. If the boat leaves Doolin late due to rough seas, it may still depart Kilronan on schedule and you could be left with very little time to explore the island (assuming you are headed to Inishmore, the largest of the three islands).
I think it is a very worthwhile way to spend one of your 9 days -- there's nothing like Dun Angus anywhere else.

Keenan Aug 25th, 2003 09:18 AM

I agree with Kayd about the boat ride as I witnessed several persons leaning over the rail, most likely serving penance from the festivities the night before. The boat from Doolin was about forty or so feet, but the ocean can swell up quickly. With that said, I still recommend a trip over but instead to Inisheer which is much closer and has some fine ruins and walks. The ride took thirty minutes. If you do go, my advice is to stay outside the cabin as I began feeling a bit quesy myself before I hastily exited the cabin. Good travels!

Mat Aug 25th, 2003 09:32 AM

Been to Inishmore twice and got engaged at Dun Angus. To me it rivals the Cliffs of Moher! But the boat ride from Doolin (itself a prize town for music in either of its two pubs) was very rough - we had a lot of folks getting sick. The first time I went was from Rooseviel (spelling?) on the north side of Galway bay just on the eastern tip of Connemara (a beautiful drive, but perhaps out of your way?). The boat was bigger and smoother, and I hear they now have a large, fast Catamaran from there, which may very well be the fastest and smoothest ride of all your options.

In any case, a trip to the Arans (been to the small ones too) is just great, the real Ireland. Be warned that restuarants and such are not open late or often, even in the tourist season, but there is a decent grocery store on Inishmore near the dock. There are some great B&B's there as well! We rented bikes and that was a great way to get around, although there are "cabs" that are affordable and will take you to your B&B and even give you a neat tour the next day. They are all lined up on the quay when you arrive.

Laoghaire Aug 26th, 2003 09:16 AM

Hello..We flew to Inishmore from the Connemara Airport (which is about 25 miles from Galway City at Inverin), in May. A 10 minute flight which only costs about 10 Euros more than the ferry from Rosseveel. If you are in the area around Galway, that is the way to go. Left before the first ferry departed, and had Dun Aenghus all to ourselves! The airport was socked in at 4:15, so had to ferry back to Rosseveel (Catamaran was very comfortable), which took about 40 minutes, and were bussed to the airport. Hope this is of some help..Helen