metro/rer

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 12:46 AM
cecilio

metro/rer

my wife and i are going to paris this tuesday. can anybody give me any advice regarding public transport. can i buy a day pass for the emtro/rer. what is a CARNETT anyway. i need all the info you guy's can give me. thanks a lot!!!
cecilio

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:31 AM
alex

cecilio: You can buy a one day (also 3 and 5 day) "Paris Visite" pass good for unlimited travel. Zones 1-5 will get you to and from the airports, Disneyland and Versailles and all sorts of places in the middle. Zones 1-3, all the places in the middle. Most consider it pricey, though it carries certain discount features, such as at museum stores. Also available is a one day Mobilis. A "carnet" is a book of ten individual metro tickets, sold at a discount from the price of ten individual tickets. Also worth looking at: Carte Orange, a weekly pass (Monday-Sunday)intended primarily for the weekly commuters." All are available at Metro stations, among other places on the ground, and some by internet, for a service charge. Other options are available.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:31 AM
JOdy

A Carnet is a packet containing 10 tickets, caost about 80 francs. There is a 1 day pass , vaild for 3 zones , called a Formula 1. A 7 day pass called
a carte Orange is also available. The 7 day pass starts on Mondays so probably would not be of much use if you arrive on Wed.

A good source of info is available at www.paris.org

Have fun,

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Gretchen

The Carte Orange is 88FF which allows you to use the Metro and bus system for one week--Monday-Sunday. We arrived on Wed. and found it useful for the amount of travelling we did (through Sunday). Also on the bus there are no transfers so a ticket is needed for each segment used. You do need a small 1"square picture--just cut it out of a snapshot.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Christina

Buy a Mobilis one day pass, it's the cheapest and all you should need -- just choose the appropriate zones (zones 1-2 are central Paris where most tourists go). Formula 1 passes (really called Formule 1 in French) haven't existed for many years.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:42 AM
JOdy

I still call the refirgerator the icebox, guess I will have to start calling the formule 1 ,the mobilis. Old habits die hard

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 12:47 AM
axio

I agreed with Christina. I just came back from my Europe trip and I survived with a Mobilis pass which cost only 33FF for a day. I could get on the metro and hop on and off any buses...whatever is nice to see in Paris is within the zone that you can travel on the Mobilis. However this pass is only for transportation and don't give you discount for museums and sights. I suppose if you are looking for those, you may have to get other passes which I am not sure what because I am not a museum goer.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 08:45 AM
sue

Obviously, if you are going to be there for more than three days, at 88 FF a Carte Orange (good from Tuesday-Sunday) would be cheaper than a Mobilis pass each day, plus you would only have to purchase it once. It allows unlimited travel on metro and buses.

Old Sep 30th, 2001, 08:52 AM
Dave

I get the mobilis, some days I never even take the metro or a bus , just walk everywhere so I waste the money I would have saved by buying carte Orange.