Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Aquileia.....Please share your travel experience.

Jan 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

We would like to include a visit to Aquileia on our next trip to Italy. This is a new area for us and we would appreciate sharing your experience and having your travel tips.
Jan 15th, 2007, 08:32 PM

You might start with a search in the Italy forum for several current listings. Your request poses a problem for a reply since we can't tell if you are just passing thru on a car trip or spending a week in Trieste or what.
Archeology is a read-a-lot passion with me so I heartily approve of your choice.
Jan 16th, 2007, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

ferdun,

Thank you for your response....we would like to do an overnight and likely spend just two days in the immediate area. We will come from Vicenza and have a car. Our main objective is to see the ruins, now a UNESCO site, but we'd like to visit the nearby town of Grado also. I did find some information in previous posts last night which helped....trying to gather as much as I can.
Jan 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM

Hi Traviata,

nice to meet you - I already wondered where you've been... planning for just a new Italy trip, obviously! Congratulations! When are you going?

Well, Aquileia is just a great sight, as well as the two early Christian churches of Grado: splendid. Modern Aquileia used to be very provincial but has greatly improved and looked quite upscale at my last visit in summer 2006. Grado, instead, used to be one of the household beaches of Austrians - not the most distinguished of Austrians, to be honest. However, of those cheap Adriatic "Austrian" beaches, Grado was always the best. Now, with long-distance flights being so extraordinary cheap, most of those former Grado-Bibione-Caorle-Jesolo guests are off to the Dominican Republic, and the Adria seems to be recovering. The beach of Grado is actually not bad, though maybe not for the adventurous swimmer (a VERY soft decline into the sea, you have to walk quite a distance before reaching deeper water - just right for a lousy swimmer like me, when I'm in the mood for spending half a day on the beach, once in five years or so...).
Attention, Traviata, I have some more bottles for you to carry home: Aquileia is the home of one of Italy's best grappa distilleries, the Distilleria Aquileia. They have a tasting room on the mainroad through Aquileia, the one that goes to Grado. Don't be put off by the German sign "Schnapsbude" (the "Austrian" time of Grado is not long gone...), theirs are really excellent grappe, and quite inexpensive. Special recommendation: the Centenara, a very fruity grappa aged in oak like a cognac: DELICIOUS!
If you happen to be interested in Fascist architecture (not exactly beautiful, but certainly interesting), you should go to Tor Viscosa, a nearby small industrial town, a Fascist foundation, with their architecture's characteristic mix of brutalism, modernism, and narrow-minded wannabe-traditionalism. Today totally run-down, but absolutely worth seeing IMO.
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

franco,

Once again you have come to my aid. Thank you! We expect to do this trip in early October. I am trying very hard to get to Rome in April, but the fall trip is a surer thing right now. I have printed all your information to take along, and, of course, will look for the grappa and drink a toast to you! Right now, I am reading what I can find on the area and Trieste is looking interesting. That will likely be my next question!
Jan 16th, 2007, 05:45 AM

Traviata, are you going to visit Udine as well? I'm asking because from what I read about it, it seems quite an interesting destination.
Jan 16th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Keren,

After your question I did a bit of looking and Udine does indeed seem worth seeing....if only for the Tiepolo pieces, but, I confess, I know little about it. This area of Italy, east of Venice, is new to us....I am happy to consider any good recommendations...we can stay longer than the orginal two days if needed, but we will be driving to Ferrara next, so don't want to get too far north. Udine looks like good driving back to Padova, then onto Ferrara.
Jan 16th, 2007, 10:39 PM

Maybe Franco knows about it.
I'm also interested in the Tiepolo art.

And I think Ferrara is a great place to visit, I enjoyed my one-day trip there last October (The cathedral museum, the Palazzo Schifanoia, just wandering the lovely narrow streets of the ghetto) and intend to go back this October, probably as a day trip from Venice, mainly to attend what seems to me is going to be a very interesting exhibition at the Palazzo Diamanti.
http://www.palazzodiamanti.it/
I had a pretty good lunch at the Osteria del Ghetto.
http://www.osteriadelghetto.it/
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Keren,

There is another current post about Udine and I am reading it and learning as I go. Our visit to Ferrara in October will be our first time in this town, so thank you for the museum and restaurant information...much appreciated. I am just beginning the hotel search. The more I read, the more I want to see!
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:39 AM

Hi Traviata,

My first choice for a restaurant in Ferrara would had been L'Oca Giuliva, Via Boccanale di Santo Stefano, 38 Ferrara, tel. 0532.207628.
But when I arrived I found out it was closed for that day due to renovation work. I got this recommendation here on Fodors from reading nonnafelice's wonderful report on Emiglia-Romania. I don't know how to post a link to it here so I'll top it for you.

I found the Osteria del Ghetto by strolling around the old town. It looked inviting enough and had an interesting menu so I went in and was not disappointed.
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:44 AM

The trip report's title is "City Life, Country Life, Suburban Life: Trip Report from Emilia Romania and the Veneto."
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Keren,

Thank you so much! I will read every word. We will also spend an overnight in Parma this trip, again a first stop, so I'll be taking notes.
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:56 AM

That's great. I apologize for my typos. That what happens when I'm writing on places that are dear to me.
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:27 AM

How strange that suddenly everybody on Fodor's seems to be interested in Udine, of all places! Like Grinisa wrote in one of the other threads, Udine is a pleasant town, but it is the contrary of spectacular in all respects: very sleepy, very provincial, tiny center, the sights nice, but not a must - Tiepolo buffs excluded, of which I'm none, I admit. However, it's true that Udine has what seem the best of Tiepolo's works I've ever seen: the frescoes at the Oratorio della Purità, most of them monochromes - a technique that suits Tiepolo IMO, maybe just because I can't get over his usual pastel colours and prefer if he uses none...

As far as Trieste, that's a place I never fell in love with (sorry if I'm sounding negative today). I know there are many who just love Trieste, but I found it always morbid, grungy, dull - typical border town atmosphere, in particular a once-important border town. But I repeat, there are quite many who love it. And I've had a truly memorable fish dinner several years ago in Trieste: at Osteria ai Fiori.

East of Venice, for me, there are just three really excellent sights, two of which we have already discussed on this thread, Aquileia and Grado; the third (my most-beloved) is Cividale del Friuli, east of Udine: an extraordinarily nice hill town, a charming combination of Italian and Alpine atmosphere, and one of Italy's great (though tiny!) sights, the Tempietto Longobardo - a church (nowadays, rather a chapel) from the 8th century, the exterior irrecognizable, but the interior excellently preserved, and lavishly decorated with typical Longobardian stuccos - once you've seen that style, you'll always recognize it, it's unique, and wonderful. The museum of the cathedral of Cividale has two more great Longobardian art works, an altar and a huge baptismal font. THIS place is a must, at least for me.
Jan 17th, 2007, 09:29 AM

Excuse me, make that "Langobardic" - with words so similar, I'm in constant danger of mixing up (and actually mixing) English and Italian.
Jan 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

franco,

Just keep those thoughts coming please....I am reading and learning...Cividale might be just too far on this trip considering a drive back to Ferrara, but maybe not.. you know how I love those chapels!.....Thoughts on Ferrara and Urbino (next stop after Ferrara)???

Thank you!!
Jan 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM

Oh, but Cividale is merely 12 miles from Udine (19 kilometres), that's nothing!
As far as Ferrara, I think Keren has already given you excellent advice. Just two things perhaps that I might add: don't be disappointed when entering the Duomo - outside, it's splendid Romanesque art, but inside, it's worst 19th century decoration, totally spoiled. And don't expect vivid Italian town life; Ferrara is really, really sleepy.
What I might add even though you didn't ask is my recommendation to eat in Comacchio - may I redirect you to the long, and IMO very funny, thread "Rome visit - easy side trips", where I've been telling the whole Comacchio story recently (towards the end of that thread). I know, it's nowhere near Rome, but that thread has gone around the whole world, as far as Saigon!!!, and in comparison to that, Comacchio IS near Rome.
Ok, what else? Ah, Urbino, that's another story. Urbino is a wonderful place, WONDERFUL. The Palazzo Ducale is among the very best pieces of early Renaissance architecture, the town is vivid, relaxed, not too many tourists, just a great feel-at-home place. Food is good, as well, and when you're in the Marche region, look out for bars serving Romcaffé (there are many of them, it's the most important coffee brand in the Marche - maybe you know it from Umbria where fairly widespread as well). That's my favourite Italian coffee...
Jan 18th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

franco,

I am still thinking about Udine, but, if we go, Cividale will be a "must".

Ferrara will be a new stop and I am hoping to see the Monastero di Sant'Antonio in Polesine...another small chapel! If it is so sleepy, we will plan to spend less time there and more time in Urbino. Friends visited last week and loved it.

I'll look for Commacchio....I have read it is an anguille town...is there more there than eels??????

Thanks franco!

Jan 18th, 2007, 04:55 AM

I didn't feel Ferrara was sleepy at all, center of town was quite lively all afternoon, bicycles are everywhere. I left at about 19:00 so didn't stay the night but would love to on a future visit.
Jan 18th, 2007, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi Keren,

The answer to this is obvious....I must move to Italy so I will have time and opportunity to see and do it all!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO