Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   APS vs 35mm Cameras (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/aps-vs-35mm-cameras-135016/)

John Jul 2nd, 2001 06:23 AM

APS vs 35mm Cameras

I'd would be interested on your opinions regarding the pros and cons of APS cameras vs. 35mm. I am currently in the process of looking into a new camera for an upcomming vacation and would value any opinions from those who have experience with both.<BR><BR>Thanks.

Art Jul 2nd, 2001 07:15 AM

Hi John, the APS cameras do not have the resolution of the 35MM which may be important if you enlarge the photos. There have been several threads on cameras, so you might want to do a search. I carry a Canan A1 SLR as well as a Olympus Stulus with me. The Canon has 3 changable lens, a telephoto zoom, a 28mm wide angle and the standard 50mm. The Stylus has a built in 28mm to 80mm zoom lens. I have faster film in the Stylus for indoor shooting ie museums etc. It is much smaller and fits in a case that goes on my belt. I find that I use the wide angle in both cameras more than the other lens.<BR>Regards,<BR>Art<BR>

Jim Tardio Jul 2nd, 2001 09:52 AM

An APS camera has only half the negative size of a regular 35mm camera...and the film costs more to process!<BR><BR>They're OK for snapshots no larger than 3x5, but for anything larger they'll start to look grainy.<BR><BR>If size is your concern, there are plenty of 35mm cameras that are the same size as APS models. Plus, 35mm film is more available around the world.<BR><BR>Lots of photos on my site:<BR>http://www.jimtardio.com

ALW Jul 2nd, 2001 10:05 AM

I just went through this debate myself and ended up getting a Canon EOS IX -- it's an APS but can handle all the attachments of an SLR. I see it like this: If I choose to, I can change to a 35mm Canon Rebel without losing all the accoutrements I've purchased for the EOS. However, my EOS and MOST (but NOT all) APS cameras have something called "MRC" or "midroll change" -- which means that I can swap the same roll of film between cameras as many times as I like. So I can shoot a day's worth of film on my EOS and then swap that same roll of film into a little APS, slip it into my purse, and have an unencumbered evening (just FYI, I did some comparing between cameras, and to my surprise, the Fujifilm 400 zoom [iZoom? can't remember the name] had the same to slightly better quality photos than the Canon Elph or the Minolta...weird...). I can also give my travel companion (usually my sister) a separate roll of film that's all hers.<BR><BR>One little perk of the APS is that each photo will have the date, time, and negative number printed on the BACK of the photo (plus goofy messages if you're so inclined).<BR><BR>I guess the best thing to remember is that for purity of photos, use a 35mm; for ease, "gadgetry," and convenience (and often size), use an APS.<BR><BR>I would take each camera home at the same time, shoot a roll of identical film (night, dusk, zoom, movement, portrait, etc.) with the cameras, and then choose based on how the camera felt and how the resulting photos looked.<BR><BR>Enjoy!

Ess Jul 2nd, 2001 10:06 AM

Well, I don't have MUCH of a basis for comparison when it comes to 35mm cameras, but here are my comments. Last year we went to Paris and I brought an old, manual Nikon 35mm that I bought second hand, as I was taking a B&amp;W photography course at the time, and I got some really great shots - but I had the school darkroom at my disposal to make corrections, and I shot a lot of film to print only a few pictures. <BR><BR>Last month, we visited the Loire valley and I brought my mother's little Cannon Elph 2 APS camera, which I loved because it was so small and portable. It had three different formats, wide angle, regular and panoramic, and the photos came out terrific! We were really pleased with the results. Only thing I would do differently next time is to use a slow film speed in very bright light - some of the colors were washed out with 400. I didn't realize until we got home that you can remove the film cartridge before it's finished and replace it with a different speed of film. That's a very useful feature. I would bring the Elph again anywhere just because it's so handy, and takes such great snaps. I bought one of my own when we got home because I thought it was a great little camera.<BR><BR>So, automatic 35mm vs APS I cannot comment on. But I love the APS because of its convenient size, and because you can change the film in the middle of a roll.