Notices

April/May: Europe in 6 weeks.

Jan 22nd, 2013, 04:40 PM
Original Poster

April/May: Europe in 6 weeks.

Hey everyone,
I've just begun to contemplate doing a backpacking trip to various countries in Europe from early April to mid May. I have some countries on my "wishlist" and would like your input on an itinerary/which cities to focus in on. I live in Canada and am thus used to colder weather but I don't want to sacrifice sights or the experience by going too early in the year. I tend to value stunning scenery, architecture, and culture in a trip, but do enjoy some art/major sites.

The plan would be to fly in one country and out another, using train/(CHEAP) air travel throughout.

Portugal
Spain
SOUTHERN France
?Germany
Switzerland
Austria
Greece (thinking the Islands)
Turkey (thinking Istanbul)

Any input is welcome.
Jan 22nd, 2013, 06:03 PM

Even though you're used to colder weather I honestly think early April to mid May is too early to insure good times outside. You'll be fine for indoor exploration such as museums and galleries but outdoor activities stand a good chance of being curtailed because of rain. And of course the further north you are the colder it will be. I've been in Istanbul in April and it was absolutely freezing then due to a storm sending cold air south from Russia.

FYI -- There is no train service from any country into Greece at this time. The Greek islands will be cold and damp and very many shops, hotels, galleries and restaurants won't be open until right around Greek Easter, May 5.

Search this Thread