April 25th in Italy

Jan 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

April 25th in Italy

We're planning a trip to Puglia during the second half of April. The trip includes April 25 which I know is a national holiday in Italy (end of WWII). Can anybody tell me what to expect on April 25? What will be closed and what will be open? This year it falls on a Saturday.
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Traffic jams. Everybody hits the road on April 25. All tourist services will be in full swing, and you may find concerts, parades and other events, but perhaps less in Puglia than you find in the north of Italy.

What April 25 specifically commemorates is the moment when the resistance in combination with allied foreign forces in Italy reached the tipping point in driving the Nazi Army of occupation out of Italy, up through the north. So in places like Bologna, Genoa and Milano, the patriotic celebrations are noticeable, with lots of veterans of the battles. I just don't know if you will see that in Puglia.

You should make sure you've booked your hotel ahead, any destination restaurants you were hoping to eat at during that weekend, and certainly your rental car. Beaches are often crowded on that day if the weather is pretty.
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Jan 9th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks.

Beaches we don't need.

I'm checking hotels right now.

Jan 9th, 2009, 01:38 PM

We were in Venice on April 25 one year. It is the National Day of Liberation as well as the Feast of St. Mark, Venice's patron saint, thus a double holiday. I have never seen such pedestrian gridlock and crowds. We could hardly move so went off into the more remote neighborhoods for the day. Just a warning if you're thinking of being in Venice.The crowds were Italians coming into the city by train on thier day off from work.
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:50 PM

Also possibly expect travel craziness the entire weekend.
Jan 9th, 2009, 01:58 PM

We were in San Gimignano and it was a nightmare. People everywhere, parking horrific.