Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Apr-June Milan Stay-Details Needed! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/apr-june-milan-stay-details-needed-516305/)

robertron76 Mar 28th, 2005 02:40 AM

Apr-June Milan Stay-Details Needed!

Hi Everybody,

I'll be in Milan from April-June '05(business trip).i'll have 12 weekends,right?

I would like to know what are the places that I should not miss,places I can travel and see etc.,

I'm planning to visit Rome also.

Can somebody gimme some tips on how to spend these 12 weekends wisely by roaming around Milan/Italy?

pls. remember that I've never travelled to europe before,but was in US for 5 years.

TIA,

R

robertron76 Mar 28th, 2005 02:50 AM

and, sorry I missed out to ask these details :

Restuarants not to miss
Car Rental Details
Local language(I don't speak/know italian)
local Shops for shopping good/cheap stuff!

etc.,etc.,etc.,

Thanks

mamc Mar 28th, 2005 05:08 AM

With 12 weekends, you should plan to visit Florence and Venice as well as Rome. While in Milan, don't miss The Last Supper and the recently renovated La Scala Opera house.

BlueSwimmer Mar 28th, 2005 05:26 AM

I recommend a weekend in Bologna- a beautiful city with the best food in Italy.

HowardR Mar 28th, 2005 06:15 AM

With 12 weekends, you've got time for all of the lakes!

DeirdreStraughan Mar 28th, 2005 06:22 AM

I lived in Milan for 13 years and now live on Lake Como, there's quite a bit of info about both on my site - do drop in!

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

straughan.com

DeirdreStraughan Mar 28th, 2005 06:23 AM

ps If you get lonely for expat company, leave a note on http://groups.msn.com/expatsinitaly - we have GTGs in Milan semi-frequently.

Ciao, D'

robertron76 Mar 28th, 2005 08:29 PM

My sincere thanks to you all.
i'll try all these stuff and certainly chat with people in the msg board.

bye

robertron76 Apr 27th, 2005 06:51 AM

ok,iam in milan now and nobody speaks english here.this frustrating.i stay near central station.

i want to go to near by places and nobody is helping me here.

i need to know the details of how to go to these places by train in the weekend and comeback :

venice
rome
paris-eiffel tower
geneva
nearby lakes

don't gimme generic info.

also i need the the hotels where i can stay for a night and then return.

pls.,pls., help me.

bye

eliztrav Apr 27th, 2005 07:25 AM

??? Am I missing something here? Certainly for Venice and Rome, you buy a train ticket and go. Venice is about a 3 hour ride. Rome, a bit longer. Check out the schedule on line at trenitalia, print out the trians you are interested in, and go to the station or a travel agency and buy your tickets.

As for hotels, go to venere.com and search Venice & Rome for what interests you & is in your price range. Then, when you've selected some hotels, e-mail them for availability (& see if they have a better price if you reserve directly rather than through venere) and also come back here & ask Fodorites for their opinions on your hotel selections.

robertron76 Apr 27th, 2005 11:41 AM

Thanks for the info on venice and rome.

any idea about paris,geneva and the lakes near milan?

TIA,

R

Eloise Apr 27th, 2005 11:58 AM

Robertron76: The process for Paris, Geneva and the Lakes region is exactly the same as for Venice and Rome.

In the Lakes region, you will have to make up your mind which lake you want to go to and which town on the lake. You can do searches here for Como, Maggiore, Garda and Orta.

The only difference for Paris and Geneva is that it might be faster and cheaper to fly than to take the train.

Have a look at

www.whichbudget.com

for discount airlines in Europe.

But really, do you expect the people here to hold your hand through every step? Have you never travelled before?

Or, if you can't do it yourself, go to a travel agent. I am sure there are dozens of travel agents in Milan who speak English.

And if the following:

ok,iam in milan now and nobody speaks english here.this frustrating.i stay near central station.

i want to go to near by places and nobody is helping me here.

from your last message is typical of how you are reacting to the people in Milan, it does not surprise me that no one is willing to help you.

You are in Italy; people in Italy speak Italian. But there are thousands of people in the tourist industry in Italy who speak English and who are more than willing to help -- if you approach them in a polite and friendly fashion.

I would suggest that a major change in your attitude is called for.

LoveItaly Apr 27th, 2005 02:55 PM

Hello Roberton76, what country are you from? What is your native language?

Underhill Apr 27th, 2005 02:59 PM

Why don't you spend some time at your local library looking at travel books on Italy? That should give you some ideas.

jinx11 Jun 30th, 2005 07:12 AM

"The Last Supper "
Is this a restaurant ? Where is it located ?