Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Appropriate Med Clothes for LATE October? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/appropriate-med-clothes-for-late-october-558655/)

newyorkgolfer41 Sep 15th, 2005 07:58 AM

Appropriate Med Clothes for LATE October?

I've been on the Med during late September and early October and most everyone was still wearing summer shorts, sandels etc. We will be there the very end of October. Wonder if we should still pack summer clothes for daytime wear? (we'll bring sweaters for evening). Maybe in places like Sorrento they wear summer clothes year around? Thanks.

cmt Sep 15th, 2005 08:04 AM

I'm sure that in Sorrento most people do not wear summer clothes year-round.

I assume that by "Med" you're asking about the Mediterranean. It will not be the same all over the Mediterranean. Along the Mediterranean coast of Turkey last year in mid-October, I found what I consider to be "summer" weather--very summer and very warm but not uncomfortably hot, and I wore "summer" clothes. However, I heard that a few weeks earlier it had been cool and rainy.

kenderina Sep 15th, 2005 08:33 AM

And the Turkey side of the Mediterranean is hotter than the Spain one :)
I live at the Med, in Castellón , near Valencia :) I don't wear summer clothes in late October. No one does, in fact. The weather changes too much day by day, you can have shiny days..and rainy ..and hard rainy days :) I don't know Sorrento, but I wouldn't trust too much on weather forecasts this time of the year !

cmt Sep 15th, 2005 08:50 AM

When I typed "very summer," I meant "very sunny."

Cre8 Sep 15th, 2005 12:39 PM

Hi kenderina, I was reading the post RE: appropriate cloths, and you said you lived in Castellon near Valencia. I live in a place in FL called Valencia Lakes on Castellon Court. At least, now I know where they got the names. Thanks

newyorkgolfer41 Sep 16th, 2005 07:52 AM

Thank you for your replies. I was assuming that perhaps the dress was kind of semi-summery year around like Southern Californians or Floridians dress.

kenderina Sep 16th, 2005 10:03 AM

Hi, Cre8 !! I didn't know that , it's nice to know :) The funny thing is that there are no lakes in Valencia, I suppose the lakes are in FL :)

petlover Sep 19th, 2005 07:10 AM

Also, carry a small umbrella with you as there can be a heavy rainstorm that seems to suddenly come from nowhere. An hour later the sun is shining again!

Christina Sep 19th, 2005 09:11 AM

huh, I lived in Southern California for about 15 years, and we certainly did not wear summery clothes in the winter, year round. It could get down to 40 in winter, and people wore clothes that might be described as Fall clothes in some other climates. No one wore summer clothes in January.

petlover Sep 19th, 2005 04:30 PM

I agree Christina (I live in So. Cal) and you wouldn't believe how many snow birds come out with summer clothes only and are disappointed if it's not hot and sunny every day. Places like San Juan and some of the islands they do wear summer clothes all year around.