Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

appropriate dress for italy in late dec./early jan.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2003, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our family will be visiting Rome, Florence, and Venice in late dec. and early Jan. What would be appropriate indoor/outdoor clothing for that time of year for ladies and guys? We're first time travelers to Italy. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 04:56 AM
ira

topping for jon
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:07 AM

Take a look at weatherbase.com for historical average and high temps are precip. January and December will be cool to cold in Florence and Venice (high 40s F), cool in Rome (50's to low 60s F). Chance of rain in is pretty good, esp in Venice and Rome; snow is rare but can occur; Rome had a gorgeous light snowfall late last winter. Still a great time to visit as there will be many fewer tourists, and the bare trees, etc are actually beautiful.

I live in Europe and find rooms to be very overheated, even in hotels. Layers are best to remove or add as necessary. Very few restaurants will require a coat and tie for men; "smart casual" as we say in Asia is more than acceptable most everywhere.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:32 AM

Agree with the previous poster. Layer, layer! I was in Venice once in that same time frame. It was magical! We loved every minute, though we frequently ducked in for expressos & hot chocolates to keep warm. It was a wet & very cold period, and the wind & dampness from the canals made it brutal at times. Keep in mind that many Venice sites (churches, etc.) are largely unheated. I encountered the most bonechilling cold there. A fluke? Perhaps. But, layering & being prepared took care of it. We had a great time.

Remember to have footwear that is both comfortable and can handle wet & even some snow.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:00 AM

If the forecast predicts bitter cold and high winds, put the ladies in sable and get full-length Armani cashmere for the guys. My animal-rights days ended after one brutal winter in Venice. I was the only idiot not wearing fur and nearly froze to death. (I also got very sick.) My perspective on wearing fur has changed.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 06:29 AM

Excellent advice NYCFoodsnob; there is so much fur around in the collections this autumn/winter, and you can buy it when you get to Italy (Try Fendi). Also, this takes care of one problem that many people seem to face; you will not look like a tourist in a Fendi fur.
Old Aug 22nd, 2003, 07:13 AM

Better yet, instead of wearing a fur coat, just drape live animans all over your body. Between the fur still on the animals, and the body heat produced by the animals, you get kind of a two for one effect. I would think if you could just sew a bunch of live minks or chinchillas together in the rough form of a coat, this would be the most effective.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks dgorall for your "informative" reply. Not sure if I could fit this in a suitcase! Thanks for the laugh.