Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Appropriate clothing in Moscow and St. Petersburg

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Carol

Are slacks acceptable dress for women in churches, at the opera or ballet, at restaurants? Is it o.k. to wear jeans. If so, where?

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 07:51 PM
Marc David Miller

In churches the only requirement is a head covering (I was in Kizhi in June and my guide wore a VERY short skirt in what is a religious community).

Jeans would be fine at most places, but would definately be uncommon at the opera; most operagoers wear their best outfits (Russians) and most foreigners (with the exception of students) wear what people would to an opera in New York or other major city.

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Marc David Miller

I will say that most men do remove their jackets in the summer time at least at the Maryinskii (no air conditioning).

Old Nov 11th, 2001, 09:30 PM
sana

You can dress the same way you dress at home. Dress up when going to opera or theater though you will see tourists wearing jeans, but it is not the thing to do.People dress up when they go out to a nice restaurant as well. When in church you should cover your hair before you walk in but you will still be allowed in if you don't obide by this rule. Jeans are ok everywhere else.
Have fun!

Old Nov 12th, 2001, 06:46 PM
Carol

Marc and sana,

Thanks for your replies.