Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Approprate dress for visiting churches in Moscow and St. Petersburg?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am traveling to Moscow & St. Petersburg at the end of June. Some guidebooks say long pants are ok and others advise me to bring a wraparound long skirt to wear over my pants. Do I need to bring such a skirt? Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:40 AM

I have not been to moscow since 1991, but I would venture to guess you don't need the skirt. Russians are not as strict as italians about attire for churches. many young russians wear skimpy outfits even to church. At the same time, I am not advocating wearing skimpy outfits. Wear what you are comfortable and try not to be loud and you should be fine.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:43 AM

Which travel guides recommend bringing a skirt?
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 11:46 AM

I wouldn't worry about long pants, you are not the first tourist they see in their lives.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM

Will you be visiting Russian Orthadox churches, ksfg. I do not belong to that church and I have never been to Russia but this I know which may longer be the rules of the church. About ten years ago a young fellow in our family married a young lady who was a member of the Russian Orthadox (I hope I have spelled that correctly) church. A few women had purchased dressy pants suits to wear to the wedding which took place in San Francisco. The bride informed them that they had to wear skirts and if they didn't the church did have some skirts that they would be given to wear while in the church. Have this rule changed these last ten years, I don't know. And are the rules the same in Russia, again I don't know. But unless you find out for sure I would pack one below the knee skirt just in case. Best regards and have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 7th, 2011, 02:51 PM

Because Love Italy usually gives good advice, I googled russian orthodox church and dress code for women and apparently the Church has been on a mission to institute a strict dress code. There are articles about it in the Nytimes and christian science monitor. So, I withdraw my previous comment.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 04:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
When I was in Moscow and St. P last September, long pants were the rule but then again it wasn't warm enough for shorts. The one thing I highly recommend is bringing a head scarf. There were two instances where I needed it in order to be able to enter the church at all. One was the church in Novodevichy Convent in Moscow and the other was at Alexander Nevsky Lavra in St. P.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your advice. I think I may bring a skirt just in case I need it.
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 07:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
And a head scarf... ;-)
Old Jun 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM

I am Russian Orthodox (no "a", LoveItaly!) and live part time in Moscow so I speak with some experience.

In *most* Moscow and St Petersburg churches, a female casual visitor can wear pants and no scarf. If they are praying in the Church, or if they are visiting during services, then a skirt below the knees (and a head scarf) is expected. I have been to some churches in tourist areas(notably Kizhki and Novgorod) and there would be skirts outside of the church building for use by female visitors who weren't prepared.

Our church in NY is relatively liberal on dress code and didn't require attendees at our wedding to wear skirts and scarves, but that is usually not encouraged.

And off the top of my head most guidebooks do recommend skirt/scarf for female visitors to Russian Orthodox Churches.