Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Appreciate Assistance - Planning (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/appreciate-assistance-planning-705127/)

samm111 May 14th, 2007 04:10 PM

Appreciate Assistance - Planning

First time going to Greece and was looking for some advice. I am going from May 31 - June 9. I was about Athens for two days (31 and 1), Myknosos for 1 day, Santorini for two days and then head over to Rhodes (5 -9). I have a time share in Rhodes that I have booked for a week but was going to give up a few days to visit other islands. Can anyone advise me on this plan? Should I forgo one island for more time somewhere else? Also had a question about the ferries. THANK YOU!

stanbr May 14th, 2007 05:32 PM

Unless you plan to fly to Mykonos and Santorini you will be spending the better part of a day on the ferry getting from one Island to the other.

I would suggest you drop Mykonos and head directly to Santorini and really take time to explore and enjoy it rather than spending large chunks of time just commuting from one Island to another.
I suppose it is too late to make any changes but it is not a bad idea to take that last night and spend it in Athens before your return home.

brotherleelove2004 May 14th, 2007 06:10 PM

The only days you can get from Santorini to Rhodes by ferry in your time frame are Sunday, June 3 or Friday June 8 on an overnight ferry. Neither date works into your plan. I hope you've made plans to fly instead. I'm thinking you'd be better off flying from Athens to Rhodes and exploring another island nearby (such as Symi or Kastellorizo/Megisti) instead of trying to visit Santorini and Mykonos, which are in a completely different region of the Aegean Sea. You can also take an overnight ferry from Piraeus to Rhodes on the 1st or 2nd of June and save some daylight. Another suggestion would be to go to Rhodes and take a ferry over to So. Turkey to Bodrum or Marmaris for a day or two.

samm111 May 15th, 2007 10:57 AM

Thank you for the tips. I appreciate your help very much.

I have one other question I was wondering - does anybody know if I can take a ferry or highspeed boat from athens to santorini and a boat from santorini to rhodes? If not, how can I go (via boat) from Santorini to Rhodes?
Thank You!

brotherleelove2004 May 15th, 2007 11:07 AM

There are plenty of ferry departures from Athens/Piraeus to Santorini. Blue Star has a morning highspeed ferry from Athens/Piraeus to Santorini that leaves about 7:15 AM and takes 4 hours.

There's no highspeed ferry from Santorini to Rhodes and I've already explained the options for the "regular" ferry during your time frame.

Heimdall May 15th, 2007 11:22 AM

No problem with the Piraeus to Santorini connection, but as brotherleelove explained, getting from one island group (Cyclades) to another (Dodecanese) is not a simple matter. The Greek ferry system is there primarily to get Greeks between mainland and islands. Thus, it is easy to get to any island from Piraeus and a few other mainland ports, but not so easy to get from one island to another, unless they happen to be on the same ferry route.

Suggest you forget about the Cyclades on this trip, and concentrate on the Dodecanese.