Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Appenzell vs. Maienfeld (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/appenzell-vs-maienfeld-584267/)

katzen Jan 23rd, 2006 07:43 AM

Appenzell vs. Maienfeld

Hello,
I am now finally(I hope)looking into hotel reservations ... I'm currently trying to decide where to stay between Appenzell and Maienfeld. We are looking to stay for 2 nights. We will be driving from Meersburg. And once we leave Appenzell or Maienfeld we will be driving to Luzern.

My original thought was to stay in Appenzell and the next morning get up early and head to Maienfeld (do the Heidi thing).

I have literature/brochures on Appenzell but not much on Maienfeld. I've been to the website www.heidiland.com.

Can anyone tell me anything more about this area ... suggest where to stay and maybe places to stay? We'd love to stay in a rustic B&B of some sort.

Thanks for your help!

katzen Jan 23rd, 2006 07:54 AM

I forgot to add that what is confusing me is that on the heidiland.com web site it's giving me hotels options in the Amden-Weesen region of switzerland. Am I to assume that this region is where Maienfeld is located?

Thanks!

tcreath Jan 23rd, 2006 09:05 AM

I've never been to Maienfeld, but we spent two nights in Appenzell in May and loved it. We chose to stay in Haus Lydia, a B&B about a ten minute walk from town. Our room was wonderful; we had an attic room with big window and gorgeous wood floors and paneling that went up the walls and on the cealing. It was very quaint. The owner was nice and friendly. I will admit that the breakfast left something to be desired; the owner was just leaving for the bakery to pick up fresh bread when we came down for breakfast so we just ate some yogurt and fruit, but we aren't big breakfast eaters so it wasn't too big of a deal for us. Still, I would highly recommend it.

http://www.hauslydia.ch/English/home_e.htm

Tracy

kleeblatt Jan 23rd, 2006 09:41 AM

The word "Heidiland" isn't patented unfortunately and so it could be anywhere in a wide area of Maienfeld. In fact, Liechtenstein sometimes uses it for their small country as well. It's a great marketing gimmick. Amden-Weesen is located 30-40 minutes from Maienfeld. It's an alpine village tucked away above Walensee. You won't find Heidi there but you'll be way up in the mountains.

Maienfeld is actually better known in Switzerland for it's vinyards and wine. It's a valley with mountains towering on both sides.

Although Maienfeld is nice and quaint and Bad Ragaz is nearby with its spa, I would choose Appenzell. Appenzell has a magical quality to it with it's quaint houses stouting many tiny windows and it's rolling hills. Stick to your original thought and visit the museum in Urnasch. It depicts a typical Appenzell household a century ago.

katzen Jan 23rd, 2006 10:01 AM

I think I am going to stick to my original plan of two nights in Appenzell. I've found a few web sites for Maienfeld and what they consider to be "heidi country" but that can be a day trip for us from Appenzell.

katzen Jan 23rd, 2006 10:11 AM

I forgot to ask those of you who have been to Appenzell .. is two nights plenty of time to visit this area/get a feel for it? Keep in mind we will be traveling to Mainefeld (heidi) (included in that two night stay).
Thanks for your help!

kleeblatt Jan 23rd, 2006 11:27 AM

You won't have time for any mountain hikes like up to the Hohe Kasten but if you just want to see the town, drive through the countryside, visit Maienfeld and maybe take in a two-hour museum somewhere along the way, you should be able to do this in two full days. No diddle daddling allowed!

Ingo Jan 23rd, 2006 11:35 AM

schuler,

"Heidiland" *is* patented - the Kurverein of St. Moritz has the rights. It was a quite a good deal for them! Hanspeter Danuser, the manager of the Kurverein had the idea many years ago. They get money from the region Amden - Weesen - Walensee for them using this brand "Heidiland" for marketing.

katzen,

While I think that Maienfeld and the surrounding region is very beautiful I believe you will enjoy Appenzell more. Two nights means only one full day in the area and that is not much - you'll get a first impression, not more. There are so many things to do - cable car to Mt. Säntis, a hike to Ebenalp, Wildkirchli, maybe a visit of St. Gallen etc. Between Appenzell and Maienfeld there is Werdenberg, a quaint tiny town to see, and also Sargans with a castle is worth a visit. I would maybe add another night.

schuler's recommendation of the B&B sounds excellent.

I.

katzen Jan 23rd, 2006 11:44 AM

Thanks for the advice. Now, would you all spend 3 nights in Appenzell or Luzern?

My itin. originally had 2 nights in Appenzell and 3 nights in Luzern (1 day trip to Bern).

Thanks!

tcreath Jan 23rd, 2006 11:52 AM

I thought two nights was enough to see the town and hike to ebenalp, etc. but if you are also planning on visiting Maienfeld you may want to include another night. Otherwise you will feel rushed and this is an area meant for lingering and relaxing.

Unfortunately I can't comment on Luzern s I haven't (yet) been.

Tracy

Ingo Jan 23rd, 2006 12:07 PM

I would not deduct one day from Luzern if I'd stay only 3! 2 in Appenzell and 3 in Luzern sounds good.