Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Appenzell or St Gallen for last 3 nights?

Old May 18th, 2018, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an itinerary planned by train through Switzerland for 15 days. We will have Swiss Travel Passes and the last day of the pass will be used to travel by Voralpen Express to either Appenzell or St Gallen. Here wed stay two to three nights.

From here we leave for Salzburg via Buchs on a Railjet, the tickets for which I will buy advance purchase.

Im tempted to stay in Appenzell because of the free Appenzeller card well get. But I wonder if wed be better off staying in St Gallen and taking a day trip to Appenzell instead.

After all the mountains well already have seen in Switzerland, Ebenalp (which is free with the card) may not seem that wonderful anyway.

Staying in St Gallen would also make it easier for departure day to Salzburg with one less train change.

Do you think the Appenzeller card is worth getting when it means we must spend three nights in Appenzell?
Old May 19th, 2018, 01:49 AM

3 days is a lot for both. St. Gallen offers more possibilities for day trips (whole Lake Constance area).
St. Gallen - Salzburg by train:
change either at Munich, at Bregenz, or at Buchs SG (3 different itineraries).
Discounted tickets: BB - Startseite, Laenderticket Bayern,Flixbus, etc.
Old May 19th, 2018, 05:27 AM

Just back from a trip that had us spending our last 2 nights in St. Gallen from which we did a day trip to Apppenzell.(caught train from St. Gallen direct to Zurich airport for flight back to US, easy peasy) I know nothing about Appenzeller card, but I can sure tell you that St. Gallen has a lot more to see and do than Appenzell, which nonetheless makes a great day trip from St. Gallen. I think you're definitely leaning in the right direction for all the right reasons. The St. Gall Abbey is one of the most beautiful I've ever been in and the library is terrific. The town itself has lots to engage you. We dined at the upscale (and upstairs) Schlossli where we had one of the best meals of our trip (which included meals in Zermatt and St. Moritz), enjoyed Gastette de Lowen for lunch, The town of Appenzell is delightful but much smaller (St. Gallen is the 6th largest city in Switzerland), very easy to walk and delightfully kitschy in that painted houses way. We had lunch in a hotel with a nice raclette. The train trip from St. Gallen to Appenzell is very pretty and passes many pretty small towns that we would have enjoyed stopping in, had we more time. Both St. Gallen and Appenzell are nice places to tour. You are in for a good time.
Old May 19th, 2018, 07:42 AM

Other good day trips from St. Gallen--Einseideln with another lovely monastery, and Lindau on Bodensee.
Old May 20th, 2018, 12:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, but weve decided not to stay in that area now. Well stay longer in Thun and travel to Austria from there via Zurich.

Maybe one day in the future well get to Appenzell and St Gallen.