Apologies to Fodorite reviewers

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apologies to Fodorite reviewers

It appears from the outpouring of replies to my posting yesterday about lengthy reviews, that in fact I was wrong, and most Fodorites like these reports. So I do aopologize if I offended anyone with my style of posting, sometimes one tends to forget that some posters are thin skinned at times and easily take offence when none is intended....(which statement will in turn most likely be considered offensive by some)

In defense, I don't mean to criticise lengthy reviews, which Fodors Forum seems to provide a means to write, but my comment was that recently some posts were getting longer and longer and more and more detail, then say 6 months or a year ago. I thought a slight editing might be called for, but I suppose that the majority has voted with their fingers, so be it. However there was once a polite protocol to let people know that the review was lengthy by posting a "long review" warning. And then the long header I used was of course a take-off on the other trend I have also observed recently for these long headlines.

And then lasty my comments on the heat is not American bashing, far from it I have lived for years both in UK and California (which is undergoing an unusually hot summer), but based on recent observations while travelling in a hot summer in Europe, and my interest to provoke a meaningful debate, not a trans-atlantic slanging match. Of course not all Americans complain about the heat and quite a few Europeans do, but some thoughtful comments did come out of this as well as the folks who like to add to the heatwave by flaming LOL.

Lastly for those who asked "whinge" rymes with "binge" and is I think a term Australians first used for chronic grumbling British visitors (as in "whinging poms"). I am sure it has entered OED now, probably not Websters though.

Ta ta and have a great summer to all, I am off for a swim and a gelato to beat the heat, and so sorry I don't have AC in order to be able to sit and write long reviews of my travels
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Do you really need a "warning" something is long? Are you truly not capable of looking at the length in a few seconds and figuring out for yourself how long it is and if you want to slog through it even if they haven't edited and catered to you? Everything isn't about you.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM

That was a pretty long apology.

Cheers to you for posting it!!!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:45 AM

"So I do aopologize if I offended anyone with my style of posting, sometimes one tends to forget that some posters are thin skinned at times and easily take offence when none is intended.."

oooh, classic backhand apology. nice.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Neopolitan

Thanks for the second funniest post in days. Yesterday's was the funniest!!

Nothing like a nice long apology for complaining about nice long posts!

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:46 AM

If you really meant that not all Americans complain about the heat or expect AC, then why did you write that they did??

"And they *ALL* seem to expect that European places should have air conditioning, which is not too common in Europe except of course in southern cities and resorts."
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:47 AM

You know, Christina, you could be just a little more forgiving of someone who actually had the nerve to re-post and apologize (which I am not sure is totally warranted rather than doing the scolding schoolteacher thing which is oh, sooooooo 10 years ago.

Please lighten up.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:49 AM
ira

Hi C,

Apology accepted.

Go say ten "Hail Mary"s and ten "Our Father"s.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:52 AM

... and so sorry I don't have AC in order to be able to sit and write long reviews of my travels"

With that one sentence you completely negated your already feeble attempt at apology. A look back at your posts gives rise to a suggestion: shorten everything you write (or say, presumably) by at least one paragraph; just leave off the last one and you might have a chance of sounding sincere.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:06 AM

Challicewell,

That's quite all right.

P.S. Your apology was not too long - even if it was I always had the option of quickly scrolling through it
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:09 AM

no, no, no, Challice. Please do not write anymore -- please pick up a spelling and grammar workbook and practice a little.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:22 AM

How come we all have time to read this long apology? Shouldn't we use this time to write our long reports?
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 09:28 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"sometimes one tends to forget that some posters are thin skinned at times..."

Hmm, maybe that's why we want air conditioning. It's all starting to make sense now.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:25 AM

How many characters would qualify a report as long--and thus require warning for those delicate readers who can't take a lot of words in one spot? Is there a character count facility here?

I would imagine that the character count would apply to all of the sections of the report summed together if it is split into sections.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:03 AM

Ira...LOL...I think you're letting him off too lightly. As a catholic, I would have made him say at least 25 of each.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:11 AM

There are a LOT of characters here, too many to count!
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:21 AM

I disagreed with your post but don't believe you should feel compelled to apologize. It's how you feel ... you don't like lengthy posts. I posted an opposing view and am not apologizing for that.

Though, the comment:

"So I do aopologize if I offended anyone with my style of posting, sometimes one tends to forget that some posters are thin skinned at times and easily take offence when none is intended ..."

doesn't really qualify as an apology. You are about an aorta short of half-hearted.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:37 AM

maitaitom - LOL
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:48 AM

while I can't speak as to thwther this apology was sincere, I do agree with one point the OP made - I don't read trip reports anymore because they ARE too full of every detail of every single thing that happens. T me trip reports can be long, but without the needless detail that every report seems to be full of lately. Often times there's no perspective on the trip, just a travelogue of every occurrence whether it's related ot the fact that you're traveling or not.

The difference is I just choose not to read reports anymore, unless it's a poster I know has something to say about the trip. I think everyone should post in whatever style they like, and others liek myself can choose not to read the,
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:53 AM

Come On people be nice.Just accept Challicewell apologies without making a fuss about her writing's style.
Not everyone like to read long detailed reports, me included..I tend to skeep the trivial parts and read only what I think is interesting.
Lets Us accept that we are individuals with different tastes, cultures, likes or dislikes..
Have a great Buon Pomeriggio Everyone, Ciao..

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -