Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartments or Pensions in Prague and Krakow

May 21st, 2007, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

I am going to apologize in advance - I am fairly new to this and didn't realize that when I first posted this, I didn't pick any search topics. So, I am reposting.

We are a group of 8 that will be looking for accomodations (4 rooms) in Prague and Krakow for the first two weeks in October (one week in each location). We are looking for affordable, clean and centrally located apartments/pensions. We don't mind an extra 5 to 10 minute walk from the tourist central, if it will save us.

Any suggestions on locations or specific apartments?

Also, we are planning to do at least one day (possibly overnight) visit in each city. From Prague we are planning to go to Karlovy Vary. And from Krakow, Zakopane. Is it worth spending the night in each location?

What is the best way to arrange this with our apartment in Prague/Krakow?

I appreciate any help. Thanks
May 21st, 2007, 03:12 PM
eds_hms

I too an new at this and have relied heavily on the recommendations and opinions of people who post here. We are going to Prague for the first time in AUg and if you search Prague in the opportunity above , you will be given the recent conversations about Prague that will include useful information and web sites eds

May 24th, 2007, 10:04 AM

While in Prague we stayed at Residence Belhedraska 35 in apartment A1. I think it was a great bargain and I highly recommend them. We had three large bedrooms, a huge kitchen/dining room/living room area, two separate bathrooms and a tub area with two sinks and a washing machine. The kitchen had a full stove, refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker and all the dishes you could need. The living area had a dining room table and a large leather sectional. We had only four people in our group but you could have easily slept 8 there. Breakfast wasnít included but there was a nice grocery store less than a block away. The building itself is on a moderately busy street but two of the three bedrooms face the rear of the building on a quiet inner garden area. The one front bedroom was a little noisy if you were a light sleeper but with the windows closed we had no problems what-so-ever. There is a tram stop Ĺ a block from the front door, and itís only a few minutes to the Muzeum stop which is right at the top of Wenceslas Square. All of that for only $130 a night is pretty cheap I think. The Czech Republic as a whole is a good deal for travelers but lodging in Prague can be pretty spendy. There was also a computer and internet connection provided for us right in our room which was a nice bonus. Our guide thought that the place was a steal.

Residence Belhedraska also has an airport service they work with that is also very reasonable. They picked us up from the airport (the 1st time Iíve ever had someone standing in the airport lobby holding a card with my name on it, I felt special) and dropped us off at the front door for $28. For four people thatís about $7 a piece (I had help with the math) which is darn cheap compared to the other prices I saw. Residence Belhedraska made the airport pick up arrangements for us.

www.b35.cz [email protected] Phone # 420-603-460-828

Cheers, the turnip
May 24th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

I am going to check that out...sounds like a great deal. I appreciate the help. I am going through all the threads looking for all the MUST to dos in Prague and Krakow so I don't miss a thing. Thanks again.
May 24th, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Turnip,
That apartment looks great - especially the one with the terrace. I am wondering, with the tram so close is the location a problem at all? Were there plenty of restaurants and pubs close by or does the train run late enough not to even worry about such a thing? I appreicate your help.

TraceeC
May 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM

The area of Residence Belheradska is on the main tram line, so there is some noise. It is not super noisy, though. There is a night tram, so you can always get home, eventually. You could also check www.happyhouserentals.com www.marys.cz www.travel.cz www.athos.cz etc for other ideas, also.

There are some big apartments on Jungmannova that could accomodate at least 6 people easily. Check on athos or www.a-prague.com under 3 star apts & Jungmann. You can take a look...

I think Belheradska is a fine choice, but something like Jungmannova Ulice is within walking distance of everything.
May 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM

You heard the tram, but never annoyingly so. Here's some more about the area from my painfully long trip report.

"At the end of the block from our apartment were two mom and pop type restaurants right across the street from each other. We loved them both. The girls preferred the one across the street but I think I liked the one on our side of the block better. We just asked for the house specialties and we were not disappointed.

There are so many different ideas on what to do and see in Prague Iíll leave it up to you as to what to do while youíre there. A few of the things we enjoyed seeing were Petrin Park and the view from the mini Eiffel Tower, the Charles Bridge before 8:30 am when it wasnít chock full of vendors and tourists, the view from the Charles Bridge Tower, St. Vitus Cathedral and the Alphons Mucha stained glass, walking through the quaint little side streets of Mala Strana, the Jewish cemetery, (if all you really want is to see the cemetery itself you can save $25 by peeking thru the big door thatís on the busy street that runs along the Vltava), and the Dripstone Wall or Grotto as they call it."

If you do a search for "turnip" about 40 messages down is way to much info about the Czech trip we took awile back.

Cheers, the turnip
May 27th, 2007, 04:08 AM

My husband and I just rented an apartment in Krakow and it was wonderful. It was our first time renting an apartment and the whole process went very smoothly, from start to finish.

We used http://www.warsawshotel.com/ (Old Town Apartments) and were extremely pleased with their wonderful correspondence, helpfulness, and professionalism. We rented the Florianska 1 apartment. Great location and terrific apartment.

This agency has apartments in Warsaw, Krakow and Prague and I highly recommend them. They represent tons of apartments and their descriptions are excellent and accurate. They went over and above in their service. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

Valarie