apartments in st petes and moscow

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am beginning to think that i will steer clear of the big hotels in these cities
even the modestly priced ones are 248 euros a night and i think we can do better in an apartment somewhere
i realise that ill have to go about getting an invitation in a different way but i am tempted to go live like a russian for a while- commute on the metro and shop at local stores
i may change my mind and pay the 200 - 300 euros a night and be central but only if i perceive that there is danger on the metro and the undergroud walkways at nights
has anyone ever had an enjoyable experience renting an apartment for a few days in russia?
what checks can be made that all is above board?
thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 03:57 AM
Original Poster

im guessing no one has read this or noone stays in apartments?
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 06:32 AM

You might post this question on the forum at www.slowtravel.com. That site specializes in self-catering rentals.
Old Mar 30th, 2008, 08:09 AM

do you speak or read russian? without it, it would be a big challenge for you to stay in an apartment. English is not as widely spoken or catered for as in many other countries and it is one place where a good concierge nay be very, very helpful. another option is to have a guide with you all (or most) of the time who will meet you at your apt in the morning and drop off in the evening. For example, subways have no english inside, so you have to figure out the stops by reading russian.
visa process may be more complicated, although there are agencies who will help you with this. Regarding St.Pete, keep in mind the central area has very old housing stock, so many apts may not be up to western standards. there are top-notch renovated apts in old buildings, but i'd guess they'd be pretty expensive as they would cater to businessmen.
shopping at local stores - i guarantee clerks won't speak any english. just be prepared (and many times there are strange procedures - first, you got to cash register to pay for items you want, get a receipt, go across the store and present receipt to the right department and then receive your goods). but there are regular supermarkets as well.
bottom line - if you are adventurous and willing to put more effort, then it's doable and you may enjoy it. but it's by far not the same as renting an apt in Paris or Rome.
safety - it's generally same on the metro as any other major city. just don't wear anything flashy and look like you know where you are going. there has been a recent increase in violence against minorities (mostly black), so if you fall in that category try to get more info what areas are better/worse.
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

thanks Mimar
i had a look at slowtravel but couldnt find out how to post a question...will look again

and lerasp..thanks for your reply too
i am quite fluent in russian and feel confident that i will be able to follow and signs and ask for directions
its always a challenge but i have been honing my skills and have been fortunate to have a brief but satisfying encounter with an expat ( albeit he was from armenia ) who was encouraging re my russian
you do get rusty and i havent studied it for many years but its amazing what you retain and what you pick up again once engaged in conversation
i can make like a local...i hope!
as for western standards...well it would concern me if water was not available
i read somewhere yesterday that in moscow water is turned off for a month a year...surely that is not right? i know that thered be plenty of water in the pipelines ...but dont see the point
hot water according to my georgian encounter is not always available as it is heated some way away from the buildings ie the buildings do not have their own water heaters-
stranger than fiction but i can believe anything!
i will, if necessary heat water in a kettle and dilute with cold to bathe in - im pretty robust but still id like that basic creature comfort!
Old Apr 1st, 2008, 04:47 AM

Re the hot water -- I believe that is still true. It is turned off for a month in the summer. It's to clean the system (or something like that).
Old Apr 5th, 2008, 02:00 AM
Original Poster

thanks petitepois
will stand by with the kettle of hot water and a basin for invigorating sponge bath
i cannot not wash my hair and thats final!