Apartments in Paris

Search

Apartments in Paris

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1st, 2016, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartments in Paris

It is time to start planning for our April trip. I want to rent an apartment but have no idea where to look. When we were in Rome we used Sleep in Italy. What are the vacation apartment rental agencies to consider for a Paris vacation?
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 03:21 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I suggest you first "search the forums" above, using terms "Paris apartments" for an overview. No need to go through it all again. You'll see why once you search and do some reading on past threads.
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 03:29 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
yes, Read some of the other threads. The vast majority of apartments in Paris are illegal and the city is cracking down more and more.. That is the short version - some of the threads are gargantuan.

But I personally would not risk it for next Springs because more apartments will likely be pulled off the market by then.

If you definitely want a flat -- then maybe a Citadines or other aparthotel property . . .
Old Nov 1st, 2016, 11:03 PM

There are folks who will swear that "this agency is legitimate, and all their apartments are legal".

However, it is only the agency which is legitimate.
The agency does nothing illegal by listing vacation rentals.

It is the owners and tenants who are renting illegally.
The City of Paris is going after the owners, which means that you risk a last-minute cancellation.
Landlords are going after tenants who sublet, which is illegal.
Anybody might cancel your reservation if they have people who want to stay longer and pay more money.

If you require a kitchen, the legal choices for vacation rental apartments are:
Citadines
Adagio
Le Roi de Sicile
Hotel Residence Henri IV

Most moderately-priced hotels in Paris have mini-fridges in the room, if that's really all you need.

Italy is a different matter. Short term rentals are prohibited in Barcelona, not sure about anywhere else.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 03:08 AM

There are many short term rental "crackdowns" currently taking place in Paris. The speed and extent of these "crackdowns" is anyone's guess. The bearing, if any, the loss, lately, of tourism Euros has on these "crackdowns" is also anyone's guess.

1. Subletting an apartment without owner approval.

2. Failure to report short term rental income of over 23,000 Euros/year by those deemed "professionals" because they advertise their rentals on a web platform such as AirBNB

3. Violation of short term rental laws much discussed previously on this forum.

In none of these "crackdowns" is the tenant to be held responsible for any violation. However, the city of Paris has not developed an effective way of separating legal rentals from illegal rentals. The only risk to the tourist is the cancellation of the rental. Big risk or little risk? That's up to the renter to decide.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

Ok. I guess my plans will change. We enjoy staying in an apartment for the flexibility, we can cook, one can watch TV if they want without disturbing the others and the obvious extra room that you get to just spread out and be "at home".

It isn't worth chancing not having a place to stay if the city or even the "owner" will cancel our reservation. Back to the drawing board I go. Thanks for the information.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't have to change your plans . . . Just book at a legal ApartHotel like Citadines. fuzzbucket gave you a list of options.

These are hotels made up of apartments with separate lounge/living room (if you book a 1 or 2 bedroom and not a studio) and kitchens.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:24 AM

We stayed at élysées Union hotel they have apartments there.
You may try on booking.com searching for one room with 5 people. Then check - you'll get apartments. If they belong to hotels or chains they are most certainly legal.
I found one like that in the 18th. Complete with conciergerie in normal working hours.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:40 AM

What is your budget? I stayed in an apartment a couple of weeks ago, rented by friends, that is legal (because the owner rents it out on Airbnb, but less than four months a year.)

The owners stuff was everywhere, and I thought it was a little pricey (I think over 200 euros per night) but if you are interested I can post the link.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:51 AM

We stayed in a Citadines apart'hotel in mid-October for a week and loved the morphing of a hotel (concierge/desk assistance, good security, little breakfast room with fresh coffee 24/7) and an apartment, with our own little efficiency kitchen, which included a microwave oven, mini-fridge, dishwasher, stove/hotplate and all utensils and dishes/pots/pans.

We stayed in the one at Bastille/Marais, on Boulevard Richard-Lenoir. It was perfect for us -- with the added benefit of the Bastille farmer's market taking place basically right outside the window on the boulevard.

There are many Citadines in Paris, with different vibes and different pricing. I recommend it. www.citadines.com
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 07:53 AM

The Citadines that hikrchick mentioned is probably one of the best, if you want a local neighborhood and want to shop the open-air market at Bastille on Thurs and Sun mornings. Also very convenient to Metro and Bus, and you can walk to many places from this area. You won't have to spend hours washing sheets and towels if you stay here, either.

You didn't specify when you're visiting or how many of you will be staying, but the normal size of a 1 bedroom vacation rental in Paris is about 35m2 - this 350 sq ft size legally includes closet space, toilets, kitchen, hallways, sleeping lofts and any nooks and crannies - so is not an accurate reflection of the space you think you'll end up with. The kitchens are tiny, normally very basic and not usually well-equipped.

If you're looking for a 2 bedroom apartment, these normally run between 40 to 50m2, with the same legal measurements I mentioned above. It's difficult to find true 2 bedroom apartments which have real beds in separate rooms for everyone to sleep in, unless you have a healthy budget.

If you're planning on visiting during the Summer, it is extremely rare to find an apartment with air conditioning - and you will need it. Hotels do have a/c.
Check with Citadines and the other legal apart'hotels I mentioned to see if a/c is listed in the amenities.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 07:56 AM

rialtogirl - unless your friend has applied for a registration number from the City, he is not renting legally. Only those owners who are approved for the registration number may list legally and must include the legitimate number in their advertising.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 08:13 AM

fuzzbucket, I am not friends with the owner of the apartment. I had friends who rented from the owner through airbnb. It is clear the owner lives there and I believe the law allows owners to rent their places out for four months a year and not be breaking any law. Whether the owner has applied for any registration number, I have no idea. But I just looked at the listing and it is crazy expensive (over 300 euros a night.) Not worth it, IMO.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 08:27 AM

They are visiting in April, so the AC issue isn't a problem, luckily.

There are many many rental agencies advertising Paris apts, there isn't just one to look for, and some are legal. But the ones people on Fodors will promote are usually exactly the ones that are illegal but they want ones that are solely used for vacation rentals and don't have any owners' belongings in them. That is sort of a tip off as to be legal, it is supposed to be rented 4 months or less of the year. And no owners is going to take all their belongings out for only 4 months and put them in storage, I'm sure.

In fact, I have rented a couple apts in Paris but not in recent years, and they did have owners' belongings in them so they could be legal now, probably.

I have never seen an agency advertising an apt that appeared legal due to this owner issue as they always are used totally for vacation rentals that I've seen. The ones that are more likely to be legal are the ones on places like VRBO or even Airbnb, if you see a photo that doesn't look staged or empty of owners' stuff. Then you can ask if they have a registration number and see what they say, if this is really important to you.

I know someone on Fodors claims Paris Perfect apts are legal, but I'm not sure how they know that as that website doesn't even mention the issue nor give registration numbers. I've also seen that claim about Vacation in Paris apts but their website also does not mention the issue nor give registration numbers and they even have a blog section about supposedly important issues and never once mention this (and their terms explicitly protect them in case an apt you rent is not available due to "legal restrictions"--but they will refund your money). You could ask them about the legal issue if you aren't that concerned about the possibility it might become unavailable. In April, you could probably get a hotel at the last minute without much problem, just probably not your top choice, in case that happened.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately there will be four of us, and again there is no "healthy" budget. I just assumed that like in Italy there would be legitimate apartments to rent for a week or so. The last time we were in Paris the hotel room was sooo small. Just a monkey wrench to be worked around. Again thanks all.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 12:07 PM

You can get around the issue of illegal rentals if you are willing to stay in the nearby Paris suburbs, which are just a short distance to Paris by RER. Here are some nice towns to consider, much cheaper rent and you'll have everything you need:
Chatou
St Cloud
Versailles
St Germaine-en-Laye
Nogents-sur-Marne
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 12:32 PM

If your budget for 4 is around 325 euro per night, there is a listing at Paris Vacation Apartments that is a true two bedroom, listed on the Mairie's website (along with all the other apartments at the same address) that is legal. It is in the Palais Royal building. Excellent place.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 12:36 PM

I usually sleep for 110 euros a night - double bed no breakfast.
3 or 4 stars.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 01:15 AM

The OP already stated that there was no "healthy" budget.

apersueder - anyone can list apartments on the Mairie's website.

This site accepts paid advertising, and does not vouch for the legality or quality of the goods or services advertised here.
Apartments listed on this site do not have registration numbers and are thus not legal.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 04:08 AM

I have no idea how helpful this will be regarding information on the short term rental situation but just in case it might be of use . . . .

If you follow the link below you will get to The Local article on Tourism

https://www.thelocal.fr/20161102/how...l-of-the-world

If within the article you scroll down to in red "59 Concrete Steps" and click that will link you to Schema de Development.

Section 41 will tell you exactly what will happen with the short term rental situation in 2016. (I think Paris is running behind its own schedule.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -