Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartments in Jun/Jul in Rome, Venice, Florence (family of 5)

Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my Fodor family!
My family of five (husband, wife, 16, 11, 9 year old children) are visiting Italy for 13 days in late June, early July. We fly into Venice and fly out of Rome. While I amassed my guidebooks, etc, in December, I am of course only getting my act together now for hotels, and I suspect I may be late in the game for the best properties.
I am looking to stay in an apartment in the major cities (about 2/3 nights each), walking distance to major attractions (or at least in a picturesque neighborhood). I know of sites such as vrbo and airbnb (and have visited them).
Would love to hear from folks who have stayed in apartments that they would recommend. I do not have a particular price point (more affordable, the better, or course) - it appears that I need to be prepared to spend at least USD300/night.
Any recommendations would be appreciated (also, if you had a nightmare apartment, please let me know as well - that way I will not pick that one)! Thank you!!
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM

Most apartments in season will require at least a 3 night stay.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 10:49 AM

And many of the best were reserved long since. Apts are reserved much earlier than hotels - and you are even latish for bargain hotel reservations.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 11:10 AM

We used sleepinitaly.com for an apartment in Rome in Trastevere. Everything went smoothly with the rental.(but we stayed 1 week). You might try them, I believe they rent in Venice, too.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Calabria62. Do you happen to remember how large your apartment was, and the location?
kybourbon and nytraveler - thank you for your input - I realize that (hence the preamble to my query). Any properties/hotels you could recommend? Thank you.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:15 PM

This is kind of an inefficient way to search for apartments, since people will recommend something to you, but it may already be booked at this late date. (Also, they do not know just where you will be when.)

Why not look at Sleep-in-Italy or VRBO and find several apartments that are available and meet your criteria. Come back to this post and provide links so that people can give you feedback.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:24 PM

Here is the apartment we stayed at in Rome which I highly recommend for location and set up for a family of 5:

http://www.vrbo.com/305032

But, it only has a week or two open in June and July.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 12:34 PM

http://www.vrbo.com/149494#.

We spent two months in this place in Venice and loved it.
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 01:29 PM

We stayed in a lovely apartment in Venice some years ago. This is what I wrote on my review:
We spent 3 days in Venice and stayed at Casa Veronica (www.athomeinvenice.com) . The apartment had been recommended to us by friends and it was one of the best we stayed in during our 7 weeks in Europe. It was well located to the ferry and not far from the Rialto Bridge. It was on the second floor (no lift). The apartment was modern, impeccably clean and tastefully furnished. The master bedroom had a king sized bed, the second bedroom had a very large single bed (perhaps a small double), and there was a comfortable sofa bed in the lounge. We walked widely in Venice from the apartment, but the San Stae ferry stop was close by.
Dealing with Veronica over the internet was very easy, and she met us at the ferry stop upon our arrival to show us to the apartment. She was a wealth of information about all manner of things – sightseeing, restaurants, markets, islands, internet cafe etc. There was a lot of travel literature available in the apartment as well. Veronica very kindly let us arrive early and check out late – obviously that is dependent on what other bookings she has.
When we arrived there were biscuits, fresh fruit and water provided for us to settle in – a nice touch. Everything was included in the price. We would not hesitate to stay at Casa Veronica again and highly recommend it!
(My friend stayed there with a family of 5 - we were only 4)
Old Mar 10th, 2014, 03:46 PM

This is not centrally-located, but is right on the tram line, as well as across the street from the regional train, and a dozen bus lines out front, also. I loved it.

I stayed here for 3 weeks last May/June and it would be perfect for a family of 5.

http://www.rentalinrome.com/trasteve...lconyapartment

Loved working with RentalInRome.com. They were great. (Consider buying ticket book or day passes for trans- it is about a 10-minute ride into city center (last stop on the tram is the Piazza Venezia).
Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Stay away from 1106 Campo San Travoso aapartment from Interhouse. Ground floor for 5 people. Very poor condition, leaks, bugs, unclean,musy smell, mold, broken everything. Very poor place to stay, I know as I did july 12-17 2014