Apartment to rent in Zurich - help.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! Help! I'm not having too much luck finding an apartment in Zurich, Switzerland for 3 people to stay in.

Here are the essentials: 3 people - two early 40 something (yeah) siblings and their 71 year old mom. Budget: $1500 - $1700 U.S. When: Sun Sept 4th, 2011 (arrival) - Monday Sept 12th, 2011 (departure) - 8 nights.

I've Googled, I've looked at VRBO, Craigslist, and a few other sites and am having a hard time panning something out.

Ideally we'd like to be near the center of Zurich (not too far from the train station). I've considered a hotel, but after staying in an apartment in Paris the last couple of years, I'd really like an apartment. If you know of a good hotel that could accomodate the requirements I have listed, let me know.

So, that's it. If any Fodorites can help me on this, it'd be greatly appreciated!
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 10:06 AM

Depends how you are with steps....http://www.holidaylettings.co.uk/rentals/zurich/113743
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 11:08 AM

We always stay in apts. Have used www.homeaway.com the last couple of times and it worked out extremely well. Ranged from 10 days to a month. Enjoy. jk
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

@alihutch - I've looked at this one before on the site you've posted the link to and have already sent an inquiry to them. The only problem is that I don't think the place really has 2 bedrooms as such - a main bedroom and the living room from what I've read before, but I don't think that'll be too much of a problem as I can always bring along a sleeping bag!

@jan47ete - the site you linked to only had 1 property in Zurich and it was a bit rural, but thanks for the link!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 04:47 AM

Try www.zuerich.com
available in both english and german.
Click on accomodations, then apartments for a full list of available apts.
You can communicate by email for availability and prices.
I love Zuerich, but did not want to stay in the city proper, so stayed 30 minutes away by train in the town of Rapperswil (at the southern tip of Lake Zurich).
Many of the small towns all along the lake will have apts to rent as well...something to consider (ex: Kuesnacht).
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM

I see what you mean, although if they are providing a bed and a sofa bed, they should provide bed linen for the sofa bed as well.... (they do claim to have 2 nedrooms, though)
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:10 AM

Also, keep in mind that Zuerich not only has the main train station (Hauptbahnhof), but also a secondary stop at the south end of the city, Stadelhofen, when looking at various neighborhoods. This can save quite a few walking steps!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

@mokka4 - hi, yeah, I've looked at this site before and despite all the choices of places to rent from, I couldn't find anything. Actually, I kinda did, but the price that was listed was incorrect when I went to the one website. I almost thought I had something there!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 08:53 AM

How about a Bed'n'Breakfast? Would you consider that?
Check www.bnb.ch under Zurich region.
Jeger has 3 single rooms, two with balcony.
BNB Chez Paula has 0ne Dbl and 1 single room.
Franz Rueb has 3 single rooms, one with balcony.
Seiler-Dakini's has mutiple room choices,
Senn-Sondheimer appears to have just One Dbl bed, But is in the HEART of ZURICH, very near the Grossmunster.
Staub has 2 single bedded rooms.
Most all of them appear to be reasonably priced, and having your own rooms in the same building (often the same floor), might be nice... plus breakfast, helps....The owner may be able to cut you a better price break for taking two rooms...
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Okay, here's my final thought (glad its not busy at work today).
If nothing else works out, and you DO consider staying in another nearby town...
check www. zurichsee.ch for listings of Ferienwohnungen (vacation apts).
Rapperswil lists a 2 bedroom Fewo in the Altstadt (old town), "Hirschi" on Marktgasse.
Either this site or the bnb.ch site lists the town of Staefa, 33 mins away from Zurich, with the Macartney Guesthouse 60-120 pp for a Dbl and 80-100 for a single.
Last, the town of Horgen lists a 2 Bedroom, 15 kms from Zurich, bus stop in front of the house (19 mins away from Zurich) for 70-100 pp.
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 09:34 AM

I forgot about www.venere.com !!
Hope you find something---let us know (we live vicariously)!
Old Jan 7th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

@mokka4 - thanks for all the suggestions! I was looking at some during lunch. I really am trying to ferret out all the sites that rent apartments. There's still the one apartment in the old part of Zurich that I'd like to try and get. Heck, if it really only has one bedroom, I'll sleep on the floor in a sleepingbag!
Old Jul 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Just an update on this, but I did manage to find an apartment in Zurich. It was a bit more what we'd budgeted for, but since it was starting to get late in the game, it was time to bite the bullet.

Mind you, there was one apartment service http://www.cityappartements.ch/e/index.htm that I wanted to use, but when I inquired about one of the apartments back in January, I was told to check back around the middle of August due to their short notice time of 14 days. Apparently they wouldn't know until then the availability of their apartments - which I thought was kinda odd.

Trying to find an apartment in Zurich is tough. Yes, there are some, but the pickings are slim - not like trying to rent one in Paris. My mind is at ease now that we have a place booked! And here's the place:

http://www.en.e-domizil.ch/vacation-...?LmNr=#summary
Old Jul 27th, 2011, 04:36 AM

I'm glad you had luck!
And the trip is finally coming up--lucky you!
Have you been to this city before?
Old Aug 1st, 2011, 05:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi mokka4! Yes, it was such a relief to finally have nailed down an apartment! I was getting very worried.

I've been to Zurich many times before, but for those visits I've either stayed with relatives or in a hotel. This year my mom, sister and I wanted to rent an apartment (like we did for Paris last year) because it was going to be cheaper then getting a hotel and we wanted to do the "live like a local" thing. Ever since my two sisters and I rented an apartment in Paris back in Dec of 2009, I've been convinced that renting one is better than staying in a hotel.
Old Aug 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM

Hi traf:
I agree about the apartments. I like the extra space and going "home" each night. The local store clerks (ie: bakery, cheese store, grocery) get to know you.
I've been renting apartments on my own in various German and Swiss towns for about 15 years now. The ONLY drawback which I see is the end cleaning fee, which CAN be quite expensive in some options. But the longer you stay, the better it pans out.
Have a great trip and post after returning for all to enjoy!