Apartment rentals in Italy - Rome, Venice, Florence, Tuscany

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are starting to plan our June 2014 trip to Italy. We are 4 people and would like to rent an apartment for a week in Rome, several days in Venice, Florence and Tuscany. Have a couple of citeria that are not negotiable. The apartment must be wheelchair accessible, either with a lift or on the true 1st floor (not European 1st floor - really 2nd). I travel with a portable scooter. Suggestions for management companies or specific apartments would be most helpful. Location is more important than furnishings, as long as beds are good and place is clean. Proximity to good bus transportation would be helpful as well. Thanks!
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:28 AM

Asking on this list is a start also you might join Slow Travel as they have numerous reviews of apartments all over Italy. Since there are so so many places for rent either list should be able to help you make up a short list of ones to consider. In the end only you can make the choice, based on your needs, locations and funds.
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:55 AM

I am currently renting an apartment through RentalInRome.com. They have been extremely helpful. I initially requested an apartment that was pet friendly. My first choice was not. They were quick to supply me with a list of alternative choices.

The apartment is not only clean, but is exactly as represented by the pictures on their website. And their agent was here on time when we arrived.

The apartment I'm in is great for four, alas- it is not accessible by wheelchair.

But they are, so far, a very good company to work with. (And my apt, since I'm here 3 weeks, comes with a cleaning lady every week! :])

I've also rented from SleepInItaly.com twice and they, too, were great to work with.

Buon viaggio!
Old May 31st, 2013, 01:39 PM

It may serve you well to use the term “ground floor” if/when discussing the floor location with a true Italian.
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Some of the links listed on this may be out of date.

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/access.../resources.htm

http://www.handyturismo.it/index.php?newlang=english

http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/easyaccess.htm

You might find some places in this trip report.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...wheelchair.cfm
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:25 PM

You need to specify not only Ground Floor but also NO steps. Many buildings have 2 or 3 steps at the entrance and any with ramps are very rare - since europe does not have rules about accommodating handicapped persons - not surprising since many of the buildings are hundreds of years old.

You might do better by looking at modern hotels built in the center.
Old May 31st, 2013, 05:46 PM

We stayed at Palazzo Olivia in rome. It was great. I think it had an elevator,but we just used the stairs. Very close to transit restaurants etc.
Old Sep 8th, 2013, 04:39 PM

Unfortunately, we did not have a good experience with Rental in Rome. The 2 bath apartment we rented turned out to be a one bath with an adjoining door that led to the laundry room that contained a toilet. The only option they provided was to take another apartment without air conditioning. As we were there in the month of July it was not a viable option. The representative did ask the owner to discount the rental fee. The owner refused. We in turn asked the agency for a price accommodation and they would not honor our request. It was our impression that no one from the agency ever visited the apartment. I would highly advise not using Rental in Rome.