Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment Rental in Rome through Romeur.it:: how reliable are they?

Apr 16th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

I have never been to Italy, but will be finally spending a week in Rome on the second half of September. After reading the posts here, I plan to rent an apartment.

Romeur.it has very good rates, in comparison to other rental places, which gets me wondering: can I trust them?

They advertise a nice apartment at Fiera di Roma. Will I be too far away from the major sites?

Thanks for your help.
Apr 16th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Neopolitan

I don't know that area, except approximately where it is. It's not where I'd want to stay as I clearly like being in the "center" of things.

I didn't see anything about their rates so different from most other agencies with similar listings. That apartment is a "bargain" because of its location -- which is the usual thing.

Apr 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM

The Web site may be reliable, but do you really want to rent an apartment that is 7 kilometers or more from the center of Rome?

A portion of what you save on the rent will go on bus and/or Metro tickets.

The worst, though, is that you will waste a lot of precious time traveling, and you will not have the opportunity to experience Rome in the late evening, when everyone is out strolling on the streets, eating in the restaurants, having a drink or a gelato in one of the piazzas.

If you want to experience Rome, as I think you do, stay in Rome itself. Best of all, stay in the historical center, the area within or just outside the triangle connecting the Pantheon, the Piazza Navona and the Campo de Fiori. Almost anything you would want to see in Rome is then within walking distance.
Apr 16th, 2006, 03:58 PM

A tip for anyone wanting to visit Rome.
Hotels are cheapest during July and August.
August is quieter than most times of the year.
Roads traffic is half of nornmal,resulting in quicker and cheapet taxi journeys
Apr 16th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Neopolitan and Eloise,

Thanks for the tips about location. I am looking now at realrome, they have some nice places in the locations you mentioned as well as in Trastevere, which, I understand, is another fun place to stay.

Panamajack
I do not have a choice of month. I am going to meetings in Egypt and will stay for 10 days in Italy on my way back to Brazil. But thanks for the tip, anyway.
Apr 17th, 2006, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

How about Prati? Is it an OK area?
Apr 17th, 2006, 08:10 AM

Prati is an OK area; it's a mainly residential area with a good shopping street, the Via Cola di Rienzo. It has some but not many restaurants and is less lively in the evenings than the historical center or Trastevere. It will also mean taking public transportation to many places that you could walk to from the historical center.
May 12th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Hi everybody,

Just to let you know that I have finally made reservations through cityapartmentes in a seemingly great place in the Trastevere area. The rent will be 550euros per week.

I have never rented a vacation apartmente in Europe before, so I am sort of worried. But apartment rental was actually cheaper than most of the hotels I looked at through internet.
May 12th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Hi!
Just came back and had a rental for a week in Trastevere. Loved the area-wonderful restaurants and a HUGE supermarket (Standa). It is a very convenient area to all of the major sites, with good public transportation and an easy walk to many great sites. I think I will always stay in that neighborhood when visiting Rome. If you are young, the area around Santa Maria in Trastevere is also very lively at night. The rest of the neighborhood is quite quiet. Have a great time!
May 12th, 2006, 09:44 PM

prr761, what company and what apartment? Sounds great!