Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Apartment Rental in Rome? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/apartment-rental-in-rome-345178/)

BLN Aug 6th, 2003 06:39 AM

Apartment Rental in Rome?

My husband and I are going to Rome for the week of Thanksgiving this year. I have a reservation at a hotel, but I was thinking an apartment might be the way to go.

Does anyone have any comments or feedback about specific apartment rental companies? I'd really love a recommendation! What about comments on staying in an apartment vs a hotel?

Thanks!

dln Aug 6th, 2003 07:48 AM

BLN, we're off to Rome next month and we've rented an apartment through sleepinitaly.com. Our dealings with this company thus far have been excellent! Guilia Amatto in the booking department has been very quick in answering all my questions. They have a beautiful selection of apartments at reasonable prices. We're staying in an apartment because we like all the extra living space. I couldn't stand being cooped up in a hotel room, even if it were a 5*. Also, I am very spoiled. My husband rises earlier than me and gives me a cup of coffee in bed. I don't see why he should break such a lovely tradition just because we're on vacation (yes, I know the man is an angel)!!!

Bailey Aug 6th, 2003 09:29 AM

DIN....thanks for the web-site advice...looks good!!!
PS...I have the same kind of "kind" husband!!

BLN Aug 6th, 2003 11:10 AM

dln - thanks for that info.
PLEASE post back here and let us know how it is!

dln Aug 6th, 2003 11:33 AM

BLN, have no fear about me writing a trip report--it will probably read like a mini novella. I tend to get carried away writing when it's something that interests me!

yipper Aug 6th, 2003 05:54 PM

Hi,

I just read a trip report and they rented an apartment in Rome from www.palazzo-olivia.it/ I went into the web site and the apartments look great.

Have fun.

BLN Aug 7th, 2003 09:19 AM

Thanks again for the feedback.
Does anyone else have any experience with rental agencies? Other comments on Sleepinitaly.com or what about RomanHomes.com?

dln Aug 7th, 2003 09:35 AM

BLN--RomanHomes has a lot of controversy attached to it. A Dr. Mauro Abate runs it and to some he's heaven, to others, hell! Type in Romanhomes in the text search box and start reading all the threads. I contacted them because their apartments looked great, and despite several e-mails I never got a response. I crossed them off the list because they evidently weren't concerned about getting my business. You might want to take a look at the reviews of apartments at www.slowtrav.com. Good luck!

ecat Aug 16th, 2003 09:03 PM

Hi there, I have used Roman Homes and it was a bit odd. I have also used sleepinitaly.com and they were wonderful! Another good site that I almost used is guestinitaly.com

Have fun, Eileen

BLN Aug 18th, 2003 04:20 AM

Thanks ecat, great to know. dln, look forward to hearing about your experience with sleepinitaly!

kismetchimera Aug 18th, 2003 08:24 AM

dln,
are you sure that we dont have the same Husband? Mine does the same thing.. coffee in the bed every morning.. he make excellent coffee, but the irony is that he is not a coffee drinker..

dln Aug 18th, 2003 08:31 AM

LOL, Kismet! My husband has wisely figured out that it is in his best interests to serve me a cup of coffee in the morning. I am hardly human without it. This is an important feature of a successful European trip.

tory Aug 18th, 2003 09:39 AM

We also booked with sleepinitaly.com and were very pleased with the apartment and the response times (Guilia is very helpful and pleasant). I would recommend it.

As dln writes about Roman Homes, I think we looked into them and I got a pleasant, helpful response for a VERY high end propery while one of the other people we were travelling with got a response saying they had nothing that would interest him! We laughed, although my friend felt a bit miffed. I am not 100% sure it was Roman Homes but sounds like it may have been. The properties did look amazing but expensive.

We travelled with children and found the space as well as kitchen facilities in an apartment really suited our needs.

Good luck and have fun!

Tory

Darcie Aug 20th, 2003 05:01 PM

Hi,
We booked an apartment through Rome Accommodation (www.romeaccom.com). Leon Krammer has been tremendous to deal with. Tried hard to find what we wanted, quick replies to our emails, etc. By a stroke of bad luck the apartment we selected has a plumbing problem, and rather than wait and see, he warned us about us well in advance, and we changed to another apartment. He's really been great.

Our rental isn't until Sept 10... so we'll see how the apartment works out, but so far, so good!

Darcie

Carroll Aug 20th, 2003 08:02 PM

Are the apartments listed at www.palazzo-olivia.it air conditioned?

BLN Sep 15th, 2003 08:21 AM

DLN - are you back from your trip? Have you posted a trip report yet? I would love to hear how your experience went with sleepinitaly!

Paula Sep 15th, 2003 08:38 AM

We have 6 days reserved for the end of this month from RealRome.com. in Trastevere. We dealt with a very nice person, Tim Pearson. Immediate response to emails. Held the unit by my credit card number, (delivered in 2 speratate emails)He sent lots of information, explicite details,help with transportation, and contact numbers. They have a website RealRome.com. So far, I'm impressed. I'll post a follow up after we return.

alohatoall Sep 15th, 2003 03:01 PM

First of all, read the reviews of apartments in Rome on www.slowtrav.com, to find out what people really think about the places they've rented. We've been delighted with www.italian-itineraries.com. Barbara is a joy to deal with, and her selection of apartments is terrfic. Have fun!

Patrick Sep 15th, 2003 03:09 PM

To answer Carroll's question above, no, the apartments at Palazzo Olivia are not air-conditioned. Or at least nothing in the website or my contract mentions it, so I can't imagine they are.

BLN Dec 1st, 2003 09:11 AM

This was my original post/question, and just wanted to follow up and say that we had a great experience with sleepinitaly.com. We loved our apartment, fair price, good owners and everything worked out exactly as planned..... We LOVED having the extra space over a single hotel room. It made our week there feel so much more "home" like. Thanks for the comments, everyone.