Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment rental 7th near Musée Rodin..pro's and con's of this neigborhood?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're seriously considering renting this apartment for an upcoming Paris trip:

http://www.vrbo.com/192210

We haven't stayed in this neighborhhood before, and are wondering about the good and bad points (the apartment is supposedly 1 block from Musée Rodin).

Also, has anyone had experience with this particular apartment/owner?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM

The 7th arrondisement has been the subject of quite a few brawls on Fodor's. There are some posters who have a near cult-like devotion to the 7th. Others (like me) find it tiresome to constantly have to rely on public transportation to get to other arrondisement, don't like the restaurant choices, find it sterile because of the all the goverrnmental/embassy institutions that colonize the 7th, and the lack of truly charming public parks (the garden in the Rodin charges a small fee to get in) -- and the Seine has big monuments at tourist lines at that section (rather than bookstalls and lovers).

You're not likely to get a dispassionate discussion of the neighborhood on Fodor's, but key to me would be what else you want to do while you are in Paris, and whether you want to be able to walk there or don't mind constantly using the bus or the metro (and if it's the metro, how close is the nearest metro stop?)

If the heart of your Paris trip is about the Eiffel Tower, Les Invalides and Musee d'Orsay or Musee Rodin, and the Christian Constant restaurant mini-empire, it's great. If not, figure out how much time you'll be spending traveling to your destinations, and how you'll be doing it.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:08 PM

Recommend that you request the address, so you can determine the exact location and all that is/isn't nearby.

Regardless, the neighborhood of Varenne metro station is NOT Rick Steves territory in the 7th. And, no matter where you stay, you'll want to go all over.

I, personally, think that the rent is a bit steep for the amount of space, especially when you add on "A housekeeping and laundry fee of 120 Euros must be paid in addition to the rent (mandatory)."

And, while 17 steps (look at them!), may not seem like a big deal, they can be...moving in/out with your bags, running out for fresh pastries in the morning, returning with groceries. Those narrow, curving, stairs, can be quite dangerous when you're carrying things.

The problem with Varenne metro station is that it's on a route with awkward connections for visiting the rest of the city. And, the nearest bus route (69) does not run evenings, Sundays, holidays.

Is there a phone in the apartment? Or, just the cell phone available for rent?

For me, there are too many con's for this particular property, and I'd pass and keep looking. You can do much better.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

I'll show these comments to <i>mon mari</i>. He's been lobbying for the 7th.

My preference would be to stay in the Marais. ;-)

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_72.htm
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 04:19 PM

I'm with you on the Marais location. The place is a bit smaller but in a <u>much</u> more convenient location, and it has an elevator. The vrbo place looks OK, except for the stairs, but the VIP place is definitely in an area that would be a much better base to get around.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:09 PM
cw

Though this apartment is in the 7th, it is not in the area (as djkbooks says) is traditionally discussed as the 7th (Rue Cler/Eiffel Tower). Walking, it's probably equidistant between the Eiffel Tower area and St. Germain.

A good area, quiet, and a 15-20 minute walk to St. Germain and the Tower. If I loved the apartment, I'd stay there but the Marais apartment is in a more convenient area, I think.

Ask your husband why he wants to stay in the 7th. If it is to be near Rue Cler and the Tower, this apartment is not going to give you that experience.

I like staying in a quiet area, but I also don't like the added cleaning and laundry fee. Seems strange to me--why not include everything in the rate? I've seen cleaning fees extra but I've never seen a laundry fee added on.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:43 PM

I happen to much prefer the 7th for staying in an apartment. The food shopping in the area is glorious and all over (in the area between ave de la Motte Picquet and ave de la Bourdonnais) - could not be more convenient.

And, since I prefer the buses to the metro, I appreciate the half dozen or more excellent routes to all over from the 7th.

When are your dates?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM

Rue Cler and the area around is not my "cup of tea".
Residential , dull in the evening.
7th closer to 6th is a bit livelier, Marais is charming .
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:52 PM

I've stayed right in that neighborhood -- at the Hotel de Varenne, a block from the Musee Rodin -- and I did not find it convenient to anything -- not restaurants, museum-going, or getting other things done -- but I didn't go food shopping. Some people go to Paris to cook in an apartment. Even when I stay in an apartment in Pari, I sill like to eat in restaurants, and have a variety within easy walking distance. I also like to walk to my other destinations, rather than take buses.

I don't know that the time of year I was in Paris would make any difference.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:54 PM

I've stayed right in that neighborhood -- at the Hotel de Varenne, a block from the Musee Rodin -- and I did not find it convenient to anything -- not restaurants, museum-going, or getting other things done -- but I didn't go food shopping. Some people go to Paris to cook in an apartment. Even when I stay in an apartment in Pari, I sill like to eat in restaurants, and have a variety within easy walking distance. I also like to walk to my other destinations, rather than take buses.

I don't know that the time of year I was in Paris would make any difference.

But I agree it would be interesting to know why you're husband wants to stay in the 7th
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 06:55 PM

Sorry for the double post!
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the input.

cw - yes, it was the "Eiffel Tower branché" concept that DH was going for...doesn't sound like the first apartment I listed will provide that.

djkbooks - we'll be there mid-October. This was kind of a spur-of-the-moment trip, inspired by some low airfares from LA. From what I've figured out in the last few days, the best apartments rent well in advance.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

One more question (and thanks so much everyone for your help), is the location I've listed in the Marais actually close enough to food/boulangeries/etc that I can run out in the morning and grab something to bring back for breakfast?
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 07:46 PM

Yes, you will be able to dash out for brekkie bread from that Marais apartment, no problem. Lots of places to eat, too.
Old Aug 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM

Deja Sue, I would have had quite a few recommendations in the 7th, but they are all booked for the month of October.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 03:48 AM

Deja Sue,
The 7th is my favorite area to stay, but not this part. I prefer the western part near St. Dominique/Rapp/Bourdonnais.

Many people do like the area near the Rodin and being closer to the 6th.

October is a very busy time. You may have a problem finding something..

Good luck..

Joan
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

djkbooks - thanks! I think because we're trying to book so close in, we've missed out on the best places. Some of the Fodorite-recommended apartments look like they're booked up at least six months ahead.

Joan - yes, most of the "ooh, aah" places we saw were already booked (or more expensive than the hotels we were also considering). Hopefully next time we visit Paris (she says, optimistically) we'll have more time to plan and can possibly find something in the areas you've mentioned.

**One more question about this Marais apartment: it looks to be half a block or so from the Pompidou. Will this be a noisy area? The bedroom faces a courtyard, but if we open windows at night will there be lots of ambient noise?
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 05:54 AM

I don't care for the 7th that much, either, and don't prefer to stay there, but even if I did, it would not be around the Varenne metro which is one of the dullest areas of the entire quartier (which to me is pretty dull to begin with). It's really an inconvenient location for about anything, I think, and for public transportation. It isn't particularly close to the 6th, either, IMO. Sure, it is closer than ave de la Bourdonnais, but it's still not that close if it is around the Varenne metro. That's the trouble, it's about right in the middle of the arrondisement and near a bunch of govt buildings (like the French ministry of education and some other ministries), a school and museums and embassies.

That street just off the Pompidou museum wouldn't be my cup of tea, either, and isn't particularly attractive (although many small streets in Paris aren't, but rue du Temple is very lively. That street is very narrow with just tall 5-6 story buildings on it and no setback, it can't be a major thoroughfare for cars. I wouldn't worry about noise too much from the Pompidou, although it is true, sometimes if you are near a popular attraction, tourists walking up and down the streets will talk in real loud voices till all hours, and it echoes a lot with buildings like that. Hard to say, I've stayed in a few hotels like that, but it's probably not likely on that street. As for the courtyard, it's a guess -- I've had rooms open onto courtyards like that which were very quiet and others that were noisy because the neighbors were noisy, you never know.
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:00 AM

Deja_Sue,

If the western part of the 7th is where you want to be, and apts. are not available, perhaps a hotel. I know that many like the Duquesne and the Muguet. They both do have some rooms with ET views. Don't know about their availability either.

Joan
Old Aug 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Christina - thanks! None of the feedback on this apartment mentions exessive noise, but hard to know what time of year they were there and whether windows were open regularly.

gracejoan3 - thanks. Actually we also have a reservation already at the Hotel Luxembourg Parc in the 6th, which would be very nice (we love that area too) but I was trying to find a less expensive alternative.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -