Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Apartment Passage du Chantier, 12th near Rue de Faub. St. Antoine and Rue de Charonne. (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/apartment-passage-du-chantier-12th-near-rue-de-faub-st-antoine-and-rue-de-charonne-739484/)

ggnga Sep 28th, 2007 04:43 AM

Apartment Passage du Chantier, 12th near Rue de Faub. St. Antoine and Rue de Charonne.

Hello,
I have mentioned my plan to do travel assignments In Hawaii for a few months and then travel a few months. It might be happening. I have the job lined up and I think my house is leased for a year. Suddenly my heart is pounding. This is such a scary but exciting prospect. Give me courage please.

Next, I have an apartment for a little over a month I can get in Paris for a reasonable amount, rented in $ by a guy in California.
It is in the 12th as above Passage du Chartier. I have visited the area briefly. He gives good links to his favorite shops and pictures of the neighborhood. What do you think about this area? I am ok with the apt. but want you guys to tell me about the location. Anything really not good about it? Please let me hear from you soon as I need to decide over the weekend.

Thank you very much. When I go for my trip on October 14, I may not be returning until getting to Maui on Dec. 17th. Then a job in Honolulu starting the 1st of the year. It is so much to get my head around.

gg

Christina Sep 28th, 2007 09:38 AM

Someone has asked about an apt. right near that address before on here, and we had a discussion. I think someone even went by it or ultimately did stay there and reported on it with a trip report (julies). Or at least one nearby. I've stayed in that area and don't like it and wouldn't go back and right around where that apt is. Others do like it (and one guy on this board lives there, as I recall -- maybe Dave). So it's totally personal taste.

This is the thread discussing on just one street over:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...p;tid=34753053

Michael Sep 28th, 2007 09:55 AM

I have friends living 2 blocks from there, near the Place d'Aligre. In my opinion, the neighborhood is fine.

kellyee21 Sep 28th, 2007 11:00 AM

Hi ggnga,

I am an american living in Paris and I have been living in that neighborhood (F. St Antoine & Ledru-Rollin) for the past 7 years, I love it ! I can't think of anything bad to say about the nieghborhood. Tons of cafés, restaurants, monoprix is right there (and a Franprix as well), shopping, marché d'aligre... I have always felt very safe here coming home along at any time, no matter how late. There are always a lot of people out and about. You are also close to Bastille metro with 3 lines, 5,8 and 1. Let me know if I can tell you anything more specific.

ggnga Sep 29th, 2007 05:40 AM

Thank you so much for the information. I am going forward with a giant leap of faith. I am so excited but anxious at the same time.
Like I mentioned the owner gives information regarding his favorite shops. I have been to Paris many times but never more than a week or so. Any more tips regarding the area would be appreciated.

gg

kerouac Sep 29th, 2007 07:21 AM

Excellent authentic area. We will strangle you if you set foot in Saint Germain-des-Prés.

Seamus Sep 29th, 2007 08:48 AM

I'll hazard a guess that you are talking about http://jimdietz.com/chantier.html. I have not stayed in that same block but have stayed in the general area and found it quite enjoyable. It is much more "authentic" than touristy, perhaps a bit grittier than some more upscale locations but all in all quite fun. The place itself looks a bit small but pretty functional. I do wonder about the bathroom - when I am looking for an apartment it is sort of a red flag if there re no photos of the bathroom posted.

Micheline Sep 29th, 2007 08:56 AM

If Seamus is right it is a very small apartment but you can't beat the price.

PatrickLondon Sep 29th, 2007 10:32 AM

I've home-swapped several times with someone at the next metro station along, and I must have walked past the passage loads of times.

No need to worry about safety more than anywhere else, and it's convenient for excellent markets (Aligre, and at the weekends Blvd Richard Lenoir) and everyday shopping. You have several cinemas over the road at the corner of Blvd Beaumarchais, you have Opera Bastille on the doorstep, it's ten minutes walk from the place des Vosges and the rest of the Marais and not much futher in the other direction to the Ile Saint Louis, you're not far from the Canal St Martin or - as he says - the Promenade Plantée.

Can you tell I'd love to stay there? It's Paris as everyday Parisians live it - gentrifying quite fast, I think.

ggnga Sep 29th, 2007 08:59 PM

Yes, it is the one you posted. It is small and no TV, however I am a world news junkie, don't watch much else now.
He has a shortwave with BBC so I will survive. Plan to read several new books. I love Paris and enjoy wandering up and down and round and round so I will easily entertain myself. I wondered about the bathroom but do know from email that it has a bathtub which for me offset the TV.

Price is big since I just have to go for it or not. I had a big part of the plan in place in my head. Then I put my house for lease on Wed. and it rented on Thursday. I already had a ticket to Paris ff miles Oct 14 to 31 and another ff ticket to Maui Dec 17. I could just bridge the gap....in Paris.

Then a call to Delta, yes I can get a return ticket on Dec. 14 for $50 change fee. My hear is pounding...I changed the reservation. My main job is in a change for the worse, downsize, downsize. I come to work this weekend with 80 more layoffs, no more matching 401K and no more long or short term disability. Get on with it.
Leap!!

Also, I love gritty. I have stayed in two very small cheap Paris apts. before. No problem. One was near Nation and the other, should I dare say it--St. Germain. I am at Hotel Cosmos for a week, thanks Dave, also a 9 day tour to Morocco. I will have lots to report on.

Thanks again for your feedback.

gg

travgina Sep 30th, 2007 12:16 PM

Wow, ggnga - you sure are making some big changes in your life! I totally understand the "heart pounding" and "scary but exciting" feeling you have about the future you have lined up, but I must say that I envy you! Paris, Morocco, Hawaii.....if I remember correctly from our GTG in Paris, isn't the grandbaby in Hawaii?

Have a great time in Paris! Did I read right - you may end up staying from October 14th until the middle of December? I'll be going back next September, renting an apartment with my sister, but only for six days.

Anyway, it sounds like you have a wonderful adventure ahead of you, so good luck, enjoy, and keep us posted.

Gina