Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment near Duomo in Florence???? Noisy at night????

May 16th, 2002, 11:27 AM
cherie

We have rented an apartment near the Duomo in Flornce for a week in June. I've been reading on message boards that it is really noisy around the center of town at night. Has anyone ever stayed near there??? I've stayed other places in hotels in Florence and never noticed the noise - now I'm wondering if we'll have trouble sleeping. I guess we should just take earplugs???

May 16th, 2002, 12:00 PM
Marilyn

It, of course, depends on the apartment and it's exact location in relation to the streets, how high up it is, what's around etc. But, I will say we stayed in the Best Western near the center. I don't remember the name--it was as close to an American hotel that we've ever used over there. When the Duomo bells rang at 7 a.m. in the morning we all sat up in our beds. It sounded like they were going off in the room. And we had a noisy restaurant that was open until about 1 p.m. each night right underneath our room. We never stayed there again and left as sleepy zombies. M.

May 16th, 2002, 12:21 PM
Vita

I stayed at a hotel on Via dei Banchi, near the Duomo. The street was noisy, but the windows totally blocked out the noise.

May 16th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Frank

I stayed in the Hotel Pendini overlooking Piazza Republicca and it was noisy until midnight or 1 AM. Shutters and window reduced noise by 70%, it depends on how light a sleeper you are.

May 16th, 2002, 08:37 PM
SuZy

We stayed at a B&B that was directly across from the Duomo. The noise from the square NEVER stopped, and since we were on the 4th floor it was as if we were in an ampitheater. Luckily I did bring earplugs, but even those didn't drown out the noise on some nights. It was a relief when we finally headed out into Tuscany for blissful, quiet nights.

I must say it was fun being right in the heart of things. It wasn't too difficult to give up 5 nights of sleep for Florence!