apartment in sarteano

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
apartment in sarteano

Hi! My husband and myself are planning approximately 10 days in Rome/Tuscany next summer followed by a 10 day roman empire cruise. I have found an apartment on vrbo #60388 in Sarteano that is in Canadian dollars. Unfortunately I can not find any comments on the vrbo site or the Casa Sarteano sight about this property.By chance have any of you come across it in your travels or could recommend something else. I also saw a b and b in Cortona called Casa Chilenne that has received very good reviews.Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 11:45 AM

>> or could recommend something else. <<

We spent an enjoyable week in this lovely spot...

http://www.larasina.it/holiday%20home.htm
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks TuckH, Do you remember how much it was for a week? It doesn't say on the website. Was it you and your significant other or did you take other guests as well? Did you do some of your own cooking? Thanks again
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:17 PM

I just returned (three days ago) from spending a week in a villa only a few kilometers south of Sarteano.

Sarteano itself was a very nice town. I have no specific knowledge of where you might be staying in Sarteano.

We did visit Cortona and it was our favorite Tuscan hill town. You can't go wrong choosing that as a base. It was delightful.

Cortona is defintely nicer than Sarteano.
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:29 PM

It was '05 and there were 3 of us. We did our own cooking and had our breakfasts on the sunny patio.

For the pricing, email the owner. We corresponded in Italian, though she does speak English. From her e-mail:

Il miglior prezzo che posso farvi è di 66 euro a notte (462 euro è la spesa totale per i 7 pernottamenti): questo prezzo comprende luce acqua gas, l'uso della cucina e la biancheria di cucina bagni e camere.

Email [email protected]
Paola Mantengoli
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

TuckH- Thanks again, I will e-mail and see what they say.

dwzemens- Lucky you! You must of had a good time. Thanks for your impressions of Cortona and Sarteano.It defintely helps with my planning. Did you do your own cooking? And if you did, was if fun going to their markets or supermarkets or was is more of a hassle? Thanks
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM

There is a small "supermarto" in Sarteano. We enjoyed shopping their twice. For a small store, it had a great selection of food.

There is a larger super market about five miles east of Sarteanao and near to the A1 autostrada. There selection is better, but it seemed more like shopping at home when we went there. I would stick to the "supermarto" in the village of Sarteano.

We had two meals cooked for us by a local chef, and the rest of our night meals were at restaurants. We had breakfast fixings at the villa and ate our breakfasts in.

Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

dwzemens, Thanks for the info on the markets. Did you have the local chef booked before you left? Where and what were some of your favorite restaurants?
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:49 PM

A very nice restaurant was in Radicafani, which is about 12 miles south of Sarteano. It is called La Grotta (Grotto?) and is located several streets up in the old town. We had to stop at the butcher shop and ask for directions!

In Sarteano, there is a nice informal restuarant called Merlin Cafe or Trattoria Merlin...something like that. It is located about one block west of the one-lane traffic light in the center of town. You will have no trouble finding it.

The third restaurant, whos name I forget, is located about one block east of the town square. I want to say the name is La Fratina, La Fratino, or something similar. I am sorry I do not remember.

All three restaurants serve basic Tuscan food. Try anything that has mushrooms in the ingredients, especially the mushroom soups!
Old Oct 29th, 2008, 01:50 PM

The local "chef" was recommended to us by the villa owner. I am certain I can get contact information for her if you need it. Her name was "Graziella". She was awesome.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 07:22 AM

Do look at www.slowtrav.com. They have many traveler reviews of villas and apartments in Tuscany, as well as elsewhere in Italy and Europe. Plus they also have lots of valuable detailed information. For example, I learned there that when we checked in on Saturday, we needed to go to the supermarket that day to stock up on food, toilet paper, etc, because the stores were closed on Sunday.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again dwzemens for your reply.Were you with a group or was it only 2 of you? Just wondering if it's worth the chef's time to cook only for 2. And you do have me more interested in Cortona now. The owner of the b and b there did reply to me this a.m. and said the rate was 85 euro/night if we stayed for 6 nights.It's kind of a toss up if we stay in an apartment,which might cost a little more but you have more room and can cook if you choose or just rent a room, have breakfast and then go out for supper. Mimar, thanks for the info on supermarkets being closed on Sundays. It's funny how we are so used to everything here being open all the time.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM

Here is a list of accommodation in Tuscany sorted by price, some of those are very cheap

Here is the link of the page :

http://www.allhome.eu/search-accomodation-Toscana-TOS

Toscana accommodation
Arezzo

* Anghiari 2
* Arezzo 2
* Castelfranco di sopra 1
* Castiglion fiorentino 1
* Cortona 1
* Sansepolcro 2

Firenze

* Barberino val d'elsa 1
* Borgo san lorenzo 1
* Campi bisenzio 2
* Capraia e limite 1
* Certaldo 2
* Fiesole 4
* Figline valdarno 2
* Firenze 17
* Reggello 1
* San casciano in val di pesa 1
* Signa 1
* Tavarnelle val di pesa 2
* Vaglia 1

Grosseto

* Capalbio 1
* Castel del piano 1
* Manciano 2
* Montieri 1
* Orbetello 3
* Santa fiora 1

Livorno

Lucca

* Bagni di lucca 1
* Capannori 2
* Lucca 2
* Pieve fosciana 2

Massa-Carrara

* Aulla 1
* Fosdinovo 1
* Pontremoli 1

Pisa

* Palaia 2
* Pisa 5
* Pomarance 1
* Volterra 1

Prato

Pistoia

* Pistoia 1

Siena

* Asciano 3
* Casole d'elsa 5
* Castellina in chianti 2 Chianti
* Castelnuovo berardenga 2
* Castiglione d'orcia 1
* Cetona 1
* Chiusi 1
* Colle di val d'elsa 3
* Montepulciano 8
* Monteriggioni 1
* Monteroni d'arbia 1
* Pienza 5
* Poggibonsi 4
* Rapolano terme 1
* San gimignano 7
* San quirico d'orcia 2
* Siena 3
* Sinalunga 2
* Torrita di siena 1

Old Oct 30th, 2008, 08:59 AM

haphol,

There were 16 of us in the villa, so using the Italian cook was very cost effective. In fact, it was far cheaper to eat in than to eat out. When she showed up with the ingredients for the dinner for 16, we were all of the belief that she could never feed us all with the small amount of food she seemed to bring with her.

Needless to say, after we were all over stuffed with delicious food, we realized that she was right and knew how to use food in a way that we rarely do at home. Great food, in filling quantities, does not have to be expensive. We learned that at both dinners that she cooked.

I would be curious to hear about the B&B in Cortona, as I wouild love to return and stay in that village. Would you contact me off the board with info about it? dwzemens AT comcast DOT net.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

thanks tourimania for your recommendations. There is certainly lots of choices. It's deciding exactly where one wants to go. Each suggestion brings something different,so the decisions do become harder.dwzemens, the name of the b and b is Casa Chilenne. I will try to forward the info she sent me. I think I failed the first time so I'll try again.
Old Oct 30th, 2008, 12:11 PM

haphol,

Thanks, it looks like a great B&B.

Can you make sure you are trying to send the email to dwzemens AT comcast DOT net?

Many people mistakenly try to send it to comcast DOT com instead of DOT net.

Thanks!
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 06:45 AM

tourimania, in case you are not aware, this is not a site for posting advertising. Please respond only with your personal experiences.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Mirmar,

Sorry,but since tourimania had given me a whole list of different properties in Tuscany, I didn't realize it was wrong to give just one name that I'd seen on the trip advisor forum. I have never seen that place or been anywhere's near it, it was just a recommendation from another traveller who had enjoyed it. I don't think that classifies as advertising.(I had tried earlier to e-mail the person inquiring but I was unable to get thru). Sorry if it offended you.
Old Oct 31st, 2008, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Mimar, Sorry I didn't realize you were giving tourmania heck and not me. I truly apologise. Happy Halloween!