Apartment in Rome

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Apartment in Rome

I am thankful to all the help I got for London trip last April.
We are now planning a trip to Rome in May,'20.
We are a family of 5 adults & looking for an apartment near
Rome Center. I have looked on Booking.com & I am really confused.
Initial reviews look good ,as you go reading not so good.
Our budget is $300/Day. I have booked Relais Rasella for 6 nights,
but i am having doubts now. I have chosen free cancellation.
Please suggest apartments you liked or heard good reviews.
Thanks.

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 02:17 PM

Last trip I booked an apartment through Airbnb. Lots of choice and you shouldn't have to spend nearly that much unless you try. Our nicely updated 2 bedroom/1 bath a bit out of the center was about US$100 a night. Decide exactly what neighborhood you want & have a look.

Old Feb 7th, 2020, 06:09 PM

You might want to check out HomeAway too. We have rented a couple of times successfully in Rome through HomeAway. Good luck!
Old Feb 7th, 2020, 09:21 PM

We absolutely loved this place on Air BnB last summer in Rome. Had everything and anything to make the visit enjoyable. Great location across the street from a metro stop, fabulous host.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, MmePerdu, Bibliotecaria71, Seamus for your suggestions.
@ Seamus, I really liked the apartment you suggested till I saw it is
on the 4th floor & will be impossible for me to climb.
@ MmePerdu I am ok staying a little further if I can save money, can
you share where you stayed so I can check it out.
I will check out HomeAway too.
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 06:23 PM

Apartment in Rome

I was in Rome a few years ago and booked an apartment through Airbnb. We did have to climb a few stairs, but we could lean out the bedroom window and see the Coliseum. Our host was wonderful and helpful. I think for 5 adults, this might be too crowded, we had only 3 people. I would check out Airbnb (superhost) or a similar arrangement. Good luck
Old Feb 8th, 2020, 07:21 PM

Here it is, not "far" just out of the center on Via Amerigo Vespucci in Testaccio but with good transport (streetcars) nearby & easy to walk. Also Testaccio Market which I enjoyed. Just a few steps into the building, ground floor

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1624229...BRUxLJetRMHEnu

Old Feb 8th, 2020, 09:43 PM

We have used Rome Loft a couple of times and have been very happy with both apartments.

https://www.romeloft.com

Old Feb 9th, 2020, 11:21 AM

Hi,
I stayed bin a very nice spot in Rome last October

The location was perfect, the areal very nice, the apt spotless...not sure you can fit five adults, but
They have another apt in the same area..the second is smaller..perhaps for two
https://montihome.wordpress.com/
Old Feb 9th, 2020, 10:28 PM

Kindgirl - there is an elevator. I would never take on a place on the 4th floor without one!. I might could handle it with a rest top, but SO would go apoplectic at the mere thought!
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 01:07 AM

First question I have is: why to book an apartment? Second question is: why to reserve a place in the center?
In my opinion, and I have traveled quite a lot, the two most important things to understand a city are: 1) to be in continuous contact with someone that can provide information and with other tourists that might have seen something out of our list, and that can be accomplished only in a hotel, and even in a bed & breakfast, and 2) to live out of the center, having the opportunity to understand the city life. In addition one can find better restaurants than in the center.
Good areas just out side of the center, I am from Rome, are Flaminio, Salario, Pinciano, Nomentano, San Giovanni, Ostiense.
In the center I would prefer Testaccio, the Aventin Hill/San Saba or the Caelian Hill.
A lot of things in Rome, btw, are out of the center (link here), including many museums.
Take into consideration that, even if you don't want to walk a lot, with your budget you may find an excellent accommodation out of the center and have enough money for a taxi.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:01 AM

I would recommend Easy Budget Colosseo, I Photograph al Colosseo, Monti Loft Colosseum Accommodation, Eve Penthouse Colosseo near Colosseum.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody for your suggestions ,I will go through the reviews & make a decision.
@ Seamus , @ MmPerdu,since I have never used Airbnb , can you tell me how the process is, do I pay any advance, is there free cancelation or is there a penalty for cancelling.
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 05:29 PM

Rather than us trying to explain how Airbnb works, have a look on the site where it explains it all, here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/...lace-on-airbnb

We can answer questions about the ins & outs after you have the basics.

Old Feb 10th, 2020, 07:53 PM

Rome apartment

Originally Posted by Kindgirl View Post
I am thankful to all the help I got for London trip last April.
We are now planning a trip to Rome in May,'20.
We are a family of 5 adults & looking for an apartment near
Rome Center. I have looked on Booking.com & I am really confused.
Initial reviews look good ,as you go reading not so good.
Our budget is $300/Day. I have booked Relais Rasella for 6 nights,
but i am having doubts now. I have chosen free cancellation.
Please suggest apartments you liked or heard good reviews.
Thanks.
Rome apartment I have been going to Rome for the last 12+ years and I always stay at this same apartment in Via agostino Depritis 10 minutes walking from main train station Melina the women who manages these apartments is wonderful and can arrange driver from airport if required + has a lift. They are old but very clean and depending on how many you can decide which one you would like but donít mess around as they book up quickly. If interested I will give you details thanks
Old Feb 10th, 2020, 10:22 PM

@kindgirl - do read the online info, but the short version is:
First you create an account with Air BnB.
Your credit card may be charged in advance but the owner does not receive payment until you have checked in and are satisfied with the property. In the rare instance you would arrive to find the place is not as advertised, you would contact AirBnB and they would refund your money. FYI, that has never happened to us. You will surely hear terrible tales of woe (they don't report the planes that land safely!) but the vast majority of AirBnB rentals go off without a hitch.
Cancellation penalties vary by property and are prominently posted in each listing.
Do maintain communication with owners via Air BnB. An owner asking you to use an alternate email prior to your arrival is a red flag.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, MmPerdu, Seamus for the quick reply.
@ gentle, can you please share the place in Melina.

Last edited by Kindgirl; Feb 11th, 2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 03:28 PM

Kindgirl, the place MmePerdu recommends is in a good location and looks reasonable. I myself would trust that recommendation. I wrote this a few days ago but couldn't post it. I hope it works this time.

We have rented from various agencies in Europe and have good luck with airbnb, if that helps at all.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 03:30 PM

We stayed in this 3 bedroom 2 bath apartment in Trastevere:

https://casaglorioso.com/

Excellent place, fairly well equipt kitchen, comfortable beds and great shower.
We loved the Trastevere location.
The price is way under what you are looking at.
Old Feb 11th, 2020, 09:40 PM

Hi KindGirl,
Some of the more outlying residential neighbourhoods offer excellent value. These would include San Lorenzo, a major student area, plus its neighbouring Pignetto district. Subway/metro connections allow those who stay there to get into central Rome without difficulty. Good Luck.

I am done. The end.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO