Apartment in Dorsoduro Area?

Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Apartment in Dorsoduro Area?

Hello:

My husband and 2 sons (ages 6 and 11) and I are considering staying in an apartment in the Dorsoduro district and were hoping to get thoughts as to the pros and cons of the area. The apartment is located on Calle dei Cerchieri 1262. We would appreciate any thoughts. Thank you.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 03:23 PM

I can't think of any cons to the area. It's the loveliest part of Venezia, I think.
Old Jul 10th, 2008, 08:45 PM

That is one of my favorite areas to stay in Venice: no cons at all, only Pros. Your location is also very good within the area. You are close to Vaporetto stops, the Accademia Museum, the fruit, vegetable and flower boat, a few restaurants, excellent sandwich shops, etc.
You are also fairly close to Campo Santa Margherita, almost like a little town center where, in the evening, local kids play socer, older people gather to chat on park banches, and young people eat pizza at the outdoor cafes. If either of your sons are brave and learn just a few words of Italian, they might join the other kids playing there.

You will be on the Grande Canal side of Dorsoduro. On the Zattere side, there are some great Gelato places and restaurants. There is also the place they build Gondolas.

Also, on the Zattere side, you can take a vaporetto across to Guidecca to San Giorgio Maggiore. You can take the elevator up in the bell tower there for lovely views of Venice. There are usually no lines at all, as there are for the bell tower at San Marco.

If you are there in warm weather, and have time, your boys might enjoy a few hours at the beach on the Lido.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:44 PM

You might try

http://RealVeniceVacationFlats.com

Can't comment on the apartment, because we have not stayed there yet - going tomorrow, 5th December 08.
The owner is based in San Francisco, and has been excellent to deal with. Answers emails rapidly, and mailed us the keys by Fedex to Australia.

We walked Dorsoduro last time we were in Venice, and found it less crowded than San Marco. It's easy to cross the Grand Canal - there's a convenient traghetto, which costs almost nothing. And it is a real gondola ride!
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM

We stayed at this apartment a few years ago for a glorious week. We had the garden apartment and thoroughly enjoyed it very much.

The location is truly perfect with everything desirable within a short walking distance.

The owners were very nice to deal with and the apartment care taker lives very close.

Have a great time.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I've been to Venice twice and stayed at Pensione La Calcina which is in that area. I LOVED it. Close enough to be very convenient, but a bit away from the hussle and bussle. Easy vaporetto stops.

Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 04:00 PM

We stayed at http://realvenicevacationflats.com/ also, the first floor apartment. It was a wonderful apartment and we loved the Dorsoduro location.