Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Apartment choices in Paris -- Need help deciding

Jan 6th, 2009, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

My family of four -- we are husband, wife, teenage daughter and teenage son -- is going to Paris for a week in March. I need advice on picking an apartment. I'm looking for one fairly centrally located and have it narrowed down to the following three:

http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_116.htm
http://www.vacationinparis.com/apts/id_221.htm
http://www.parisattitude.com/apartme...mProduit=2255#

I know the Paris Attitude apartment isn't as nice, but I think we might like that location. Also, I could use some advice on whether the Ile de la Cite area would work. The apartment is pretty but I've never stayed on the island so I really don't know....

Jan 6th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Vacation in paris is very easy to deal with. You can also pay in dollars and/or use a credit card. I would go with apartment 116. It is out of my price range, but the location is good (central) and the view from the living room is great. It is nicely furnished. Looks new and clean. Metropoleparis.com holds weekly meetings at the cafe on the corner.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:17 AM

If it were up to me, I'd choose either of the first two (116/221). The last one looks a little depressing to me, like it wouldn't be the best place to come "home" to. The other two, though -- looks like I could live there full-time!!
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I like the way Vacation in Paris operates (sending me a key instead of setting up a meeting for someone to let us in.) I also don't like Paris Attitude's deposit requirement. They want 1200 Euros (refundable of course, but still...)

The main thing that's holding me back from the ID116 from Vacation in Paris is the lack of a dining table for four people! Silly, maybe, but we don't really want to eat two-at-a-time.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I would strongly prefer the location of either of the first 2 (which are pretty close to each other).
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:35 AM

Personally I'd take the second one as I find that area more atmospheric. But, it's not a 5-minute walk, as advertised, to the rue Buci open-air market area. I would say it's a 15-minute walk.
I've stayed, in the Buci open-air market area, almost annually, since the early 80s and regularly on the same street. There's a big grocery store right across from it at the corner of rue Buci and rue de Seine.

From, vacationinparis' Apt #122, which I rented last March, THAT'S a 5-minute walk to the market. Have you looked into apartment #122? That's really in the heart of a great area and walking distance to a lot of places. It will be less space, but the area is great. It's at the east end of the 6th, and just across the Blvd. St. Michel is the 5th. However, apartment #2 is near the 5th, too.

The second pick, on your list, would be the first apartment that you've listed. That one is close to metro Lines 1 and 7 as stated in the info. I'm just personally not a heart-of-the Right Bank type of person. I prefer the Left Bank or would go for the Island if I had to. Good luck to you. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:37 AM

Givings, I would definitely choose the one that can seat 4 at a time at the table! There you go -- the second one LOL!
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:43 AM

Not to make things more complicated but we just returned from Paris and rented VBRO 112368. I believe it is the same price range as the number 16 and it is a real three bedroom - which would be nice for the two teens of different sexes. I LOVED the location on the left bank - a few blocks from Notre Dame, close to several metros and Stacey was very easy to work with from the rental agency.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:51 AM

MomDD, it would be nice if those two apartments were equivalent in price, but they're not, #116 is $399 USD per night in high season, the one you stayed in is 385 euros per night in high season.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

Guenmai, apt. 122 is not available (nor is the VRBO one, MomDD.) But thanks for the tips! I'm thinking the one on Ile de la Cite is the one for us, but...one more thing. It is listed as "3rd and 4th floor, no elevator." I'm worried we might regret that. Is that typical in Paris?

And is walking on and off the Ile de la Cite just a matter of using pedestrian bridges? I know I've been, just can't remember.
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM

sf7307 - opppss..my bad. I am sorry! I thought I must have had a real bargin or number 116 was over priced. I beg forgiveness. I am still suffering jet lag
Jan 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM

Givings - it seems typical to me in Europe. I have only rented in Italy and France - in Italy we had an apartment which seemed to be on the 20th floor with no lift in Rome (obviously not) and I regretted it. But that was at the end of our trip - and we were tired.

It depends on all of you I think.?

This trip (Paris) it was just two flights and there was a lift. Sorry again for the mistake with the Euros vs. Dollars on the VBRO.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

It's all good. Honestly, I was willing to go up to $500/night, so that one isn't too far off the mark but it's not available anyway. And I cannot imagine going up 20 stories with no elevator! I think we'll be fine with that.

I'm still trying to get a feel for staying in this neighborhood (Ile de la Cite.) If anyone can speak to using it as a "base" for the various day outings we plan to take with the hope of coming home to either pick up something and eat in, or look for a neighborhood restaurant close by, I would appreciate your thoughts.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM

And I cannot imagine going up 20 stories with no elevator! I think we'll be fine with that.
===
I was of course exaggerating. I believe we went up 7 flights in Rome.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM

The place Dauphin has several cafes and the famous wine bar Henri IV. It's the very tip of the Ile and there is good transport on either side of the brige. About a 1 or 2 minute walk away.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM

And I cannot imagine going up 20 stories with no elevator! I think we'll be fine with that.
===
I was of course exaggerating. I believe we went up 7 flights in Rome.

And I cannot imagine going up 7! 2 or 3, or even 4, but 7 - uh uh!
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:30 AM

Ile de la Cite - my apartment was within walking distance (5 minutes) of the Norte Dame and we loved the location. The only bummer was right around the Notre it was CRAZY busy with tourists.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:33 AM

The island should be pretty convenient as its in the middle of things. Of course, you do have to walk over to the RB to get onto the metro. I don't think its very convenient for actual living, though, at least for grocery stores and things like that. Few people rent apts on Ile de la Cite that I can recall, usually it is Ile St Louis where there are more apts, stores, etc. But place Dauphine at least is very close to the Pont Neuf metro.

I wouldn't rent that apt. due to the spiral staircase, which I think is dangerous and nothing I personally would want to do.

It is typical not to have an elevator in older buildings, but it's not a French thing in itself, it's just the age of the building. You wont' find a building with 20 floors without one, as those would be modern.

You do just walk on and off that island, there are bridges. Now that island does have the Cite metro stop, also, which you could use, but at that location, it is very close to either bank, anyway, it's barely noticeable you are on an island.
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:40 AM

Yes, there are multiple bridges from Ile de la Cite leading to the left bank or the right bank, and one behind Notre Dame leading to Ile St Louis. For my birthday trip in September, we stayed in a lovely 2 BR/2 BA apt just opposite Ile St Louis on the left bank with a view of Notre Dame but I'm afraid it's more than your price range (here's the link if you're curious: http://www.chezvous.com/apartments.p...ement&select=5
). But I mention it because I loved being that central and close to Notre Dame--it's easy to go in any direction from there. For me Notre Dame is really the heart of the city--did you know all distances in France are measured from there (or at least that's what I've heard ;-)). You'll be able to walk easily to restaurants in the St Michel, St Germain and Marais areas from there.

You should ask though if that apt is on the European 3rd floor (which would be our 4th floor) or the US 3rd floor (2 vs 3 flights of stairs).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO