Fussen car rental

Search

Fussen car rental

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 04:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fussen car rental

We are staying in Fussen, Germany, for a couple days in September and planned to rent a car there to tour the surrounding area. However, we are having trouble finding a car. Rick Steves book recommended Peter Schlichtling www.schlichtling.de, However the website seems to be only in German. Any suggestions? Before Fussen we will be in Munich, and after, we're taking the train to Augsburg and on to Stuttgart.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 04:18 AM

Ugh. that site is horrible.

You can't reserve a car directly on their site. You'll have to call/stop in. Their contact info:
Kemptenerstrasse 26
87629 Füssen
Tel.: 08362-922122

There is a Hertz in Fussen.
http://www.hertz.de
Hertz
Fuessener Strasse 112
Fuessen (Schwangau), DE 87645
Hours of Operation Mo-Fr 0800-1200 1400-1800
Sa 0800-1200
Su on request
Location Type Corporate
Phone Number 08362 986580

Have you considered renting a car in Munich and dropping off in Stuttgart?
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 05:34 AM
ira

Hi K,

Have you considered renting through www.autoeurope.com, www.kemwel.com or www.gemut.com?

Old Aug 15th, 2013, 06:16 AM

Hertz is the only major chain which has a franchise in Füssen.
If I needed a car in the region and did not want to drive from Munich, I would rent from there.
Even though the office is somewhat beyond easy walking distance from the train station.
You can take a cab from the station and should pay less than 10 euros.

But you should give the alternative of renting from Munich to Stuttgart a thought.
There are many places to stop along the routes to visit sights which you otherwise would just pass.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I thought I checked out most of the major car rental companies, but must have missed Hertz. We had discarded the idea of driving to Stuttgart because relatives had warned us not to try to drive on the autobahn. Would we have to be on that highway between Munich and Fussen--Stuttgart? Guess I need to do a little more research.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 12:52 PM

<i>because relatives had warned us not to try to drive on the autobahn</i>

Dear God, why would they do that? Wait, you're not a horrible driver, are you?

Also, you <i>can</i> take backroads to your destinations. That will route you through some beautiful villages.
Old Aug 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In my experience the drivers on the autobahns are on the whole a lot more courteous than the ones in the US. For one thing they do not hog the passing lanes. Those roads are exceptionally well-marked and maintained.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

No, we're certainly not terrible drivers. And my sister and brother are California drivers--which is not exactly easy. But I guess their German relatives think the high speeds on the autobahn might be too much for us. Not so?
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM

Those stories about scary high speeds on the autobahns are largely a myth. There are stretches where people can go as fast as they want, but also many stretches where the speed is limited to 120km/h (75mph); and no matter the speed limit, you don't HAVE to go that fast. I usually cruise along at 125knm/h, just staying our of the fast lane, or wathcing my rear while passing on the fast lane. As Duckey1 says, the Germans don't hog the passing lane.

But there is a very nice way to go from Fuessen to Stuttgart: Fuessen to Lindau at the Lake Constance (Bodensee). From there along the northern shore of the lake as far as Stockach/Singen and then the A-81 north to Stuttgart. I would take it in 2 days, staying overnight in Meersburg or Ueberlingen, with a stop ,worth spending some time there. .

There are several ways to drive from Fuesseen to Lindau. One I have driven drequently is a bit more alpine (via Hindelang/ Sonthofen and the Alpine Highway B-308 - - nothing to be scared of. The other route goes via Pfronten - Mittelberg - Durach and then on the B - 12 to Isny and on to the A-96, and about 10km on that autobahn to the causeway to the island of Lindau. The latter road takes you through the foohills of the Allgaeu alps. It is a bit longer.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 08:16 PM

Your relatives are being silly. Aquaint yourself with the basic laws in Germany and what the signs mean. Many people don't and do just fine but you may want an edge.

On the Autobahn stay to the right. It's very sensible. The left lane is the fast lane. The 1st time a huge car comes barreling down on you, you'll figure it out. Stay to the right, it's the slow lane.

Go to AutoEurope.com and rent your car. If your over 25 there should be no problem.
Old Aug 16th, 2013, 08:18 PM

I'm sorry, I meant to add that autoeurope also supplies a driving guide but I like to recommend this one. It's a lot of information but at least glance over the basics and the signs so you can know what's going on. Unless you speak German.

http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/regeln.shtml
Old Aug 18th, 2013, 12:10 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I agree with the others about being "warned" about the autobahn. Most have speed limits, and where there are none, simply stay to the right and pay attention to you rear view when passing. I find driving in Germany and Austria less nerve wracking than in the U.S., especially around the greater NYC/ NJ metro area. People actually do stay right unless passing plus they actually do know what the directional signal is for. If they're ok driving highways in their area, they'll do fine in Germany.
Old Aug 23rd, 2013, 05:06 PM

I strongly recommend you check out www.gemut.com, as one of the replies suggested. They specialize in travel to German speaking countries, but I've used them to rent cars in other European countries as well. They work through AutoEurope, which works through all of the brand name rental car companies. On several occasions they have been able to get rates that are substantially lower than those advertised on AutoEurope's web site which are pretty competitive to begin with. They will also go to bat for you if you run into problems with the rental agency, as I found out on my most recent trip when I had mechanical problems with the car.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all the help!!! Because of your advice, we have rented a car in Munich, which we will drop off in Stuttgart.

Treplow--Thanks for the route to Stuttgart. I'm not sure, though, that we will be able to take 2 days to drive to Stuttgart, because the relatives are expecting us at a certain time. However, we will consider this info.
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

Now, what should we see on the drive between Munich and Fussen? We will spend 2 nights in Fussen. Any tips on how to best spend the 2 days between Munich and leaving for Stuttgart?
Old Aug 27th, 2013, 03:59 PM

Hi ,

I'd suggest Andechs Monestary, Linderhof Palace or the Wieskirche on the drive. Based in Fuessen (we love Fuessen by the way) Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau castles, Fuessen is a charming old town, Tegelberg luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn) and Tegelberg cable car. Since you have a car, Ehrwald, Austria and the Zugspitze trip is less than an hour away.

Paul
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Paul. Re the castles, I read that you should reserve at least the day before to get a time to tour them. What's the story?
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 03:51 PM

Can't imagine why they would tell you not to drive on the autobahn. The roads are in better condition than most in the US and drivers take it more seriously and are good - if fast.

I have never run across the dashboard diner there, or the soccer mom waving across all lanes in giant SUV you can;t control while screaming at all the kids - or a senior who no longer should be driving due to poor eyesight and reflexes.

All you have to do is follow the rules - and stay on the right except to pass.
Old Aug 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM

Hi,

We've never reserved a tour time, but I've heard it's best if you know the day you'll be visiting. Us, we toured just Neuschwanstein one year and then just Hohenschwangau another trip. Since we stayed in Fuessen, we simply got to the castles (ticket kiosk) around 8:30am. Didn't have a problem either time. Both trips were in mid Oct. if that may matter. Fuessen is about a 10 min. drive to the castle's.

Paul