apartment at 49 Blvd. St. Germain

Feb 21st, 2005, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

apartment at 49 Blvd. St. Germain

Hello, I posted yesterday about an apt. in the 14th near Port Royal. I really like this apt. but wasn't sure of the location as I really wanted St. Germain.

Now I have gotten response from Lodgis that this small studio, with a double bed not a sofabed which I absolutely would not do, is available for 100 euros less per week. It is not nearly as nice looking as the other apt. but more like a hotel room with a kitchenette.

It is at 49 Blvd. St. Germain, corner of rue Carmes and Maubert Mut. metro. A very convenient location. It is on the 7th floor/top of the building, with an elevator. I looked it up on pages jaunes and I know it is an extremely busy area.
I like to be in the middle of the action but do you think it will be over the top. Would you absolutely rule it out because of this location right on Blvd St. Germain.

Also it looks like the rent deposit is non refundable after the contract is signed and accepted. I looked at a vrbo apt. and was put off by this. I suppose this is the norm for an apartment. By the way in both cases the deposit is almost the entire rent amount for the week... 400 euros of 460 euro rent. I do have trip insurance which I purchased last night.

Thanks for your input again. I am almost to the point of just booking my little very budget hotel near Denfert, rather than sort all this out. UGH! But I had my heart set on St. Germain for this trip.
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:13 AM
ira

Hi gg,

You have 8 responses to your first thread.

Click on your name to find all of your posts.

Feb 21st, 2005, 06:22 AM

Being that the apartment is on the top floor I think you should have less noise pollution. Its a good location, I would call it the Latin Quarter rather than St Germain.

Port Royal is a VERY nice area also. Its right at the edge of the 5th and 6th next to the tip of the Luxembourg gardens. Plus you have access to both the RER and metro which can come in handy as it gives you more choices when moving about. There are loads of restarants in the area. Personally i would chose the Port Royal location if the apartment is much nicer.
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Morgan. I still haven't heard from the Port Royal owner. I will be patient.

Ira...this is about a differnt apartment. A woman who cannot make up her mind. Imagine that!!
Feb 21st, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I might as well throw the other apartment in the mix. I had ruled it out because of the high deposit on vrbo but that may be the norm. It is at 52 rue Dauphine, Odeon metro. It is okay in looks and size but not nearly as nice as Port Royal. rue Dauphine is really considered in the middle of St. Germain, correct?? It is the most expensive but only by 40 euros.

Thanks for your help in sorting this out. I really value your input.
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:23 AM

Yes that is right in St Germain. Its at the corner of Rue du Buci, Rue Dauphine, Rue st Andre des Arts, etc. Rue du Buci has a yummy pastry shop on it as well as a couple of interesting brasseries and a grocery store. Expect there to be lots of pedistrian traffic. You are close to both Mabillon and Odeon and you could easily walk to St Michele for even more choices on metro lines. Its a nice area. I consider that corner a bit hetic but it wouldnt put me off. Its definately more in the heart of things. There are alot more tourists about in that area. I think Port Royal is more upscale quite neighborhoody where as this location is really in the meat of it and would allow you to walk to Notre Dame, St Chapelle, Hotel de Ville, even the Louvre if you dont mind a little walk.
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:35 AM

Just wanted to chime in that if you take the apartment near the Odeon metro, do not visit the Le Relais d'Odeon cafe. We were there Xmas day and they ripped us off by charging our credit card twice, once for the correct amount and once for an outgrageous amount. Without going into the details, we didn't find this out until we returned home and saw our VISA bill. Fortunately, I keep all the receipts and we were able to fight this. They are crooks!
Feb 21st, 2005, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

I just heard back from the rue Dauphine apartment. He takes the credit card info as a guarantee, but does not charge your card. You then pay the full rent on arrival. Much better.

I am now really leaning toward rue Dauphine. I love this area and I know exactly where it is thanks to your info Morgan. I am now at the age where the convenience of being right in the meat of it saves my poor old knees.

I will heed your warning Aliska.

Thanks,

gg

Feb 21st, 2005, 09:24 AM

I think any apartment right on a major blvd will be noisy to some extent (and any place nearby, to be honest, with city noise -- I was in a very obscure street with hardly any traffic only a block from a major street and the motorbikes at night were very loud with open windows. However, that end of bd St Germain near Carmes is not the busiest part of that boulevard. Of course, that is right on the place near the metro which means more traffic, I suppose, than a little farther east. I stayed a block from there and don't really care for that part of Paris, myself, although other people do. In fact, of all the areas of Paris I've stayed in for several days or more, it's the only one I would not ever go back to. My reasons were not because it's right in the thick of things, but the opposite, I just found it dull and an inconvenient location. I just didn't like it much at all.

I might like the Port Royal location as I know that area, but not the part down near St Jacques metro so much. I know it more right around the boulevard and then north to around Val de Grace. I don't think there are any big grocery stores around there, that was one reason I didn't rent an apt in that area, I didn't think it would be convenient for that reason. There are always a few small grocers around, though, depends how much you want to buy stuff at a grocery store.

I think rue Dauphine might be a good choice for you, from what you say about these alternatives and what you want.
Feb 21st, 2005, 04:35 PM

gg,

If you want to avoid alot of walking, you might consider using the bus system. It is really easy to use even though it can seem challenging at first. The nice thing about the bus compared to the metro is no stairs or escalators or long halls, plus you can of course see Paris as you move about.

If you decide to use the bus, ask for a large fold out map at the metro station. They are free. This will give you a more detailed map of the bus lines so that you can more easily locate the stops. One metro ticket is good for one bus ride. No changes allowed. But you can go all the way to the end of the line. You can buy individual tickets from the driver but you cannot buy a carnet of 10 tickets. That is only availabe at the metro stations but you can use them on the bus.

Here's a link for a photo of the apartment building as well as a map from pagesjaune.fr :

http://tinyurl.com/66pge

Hope you have a great trip where ever you end up !