Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Apartment and Hotel help in Rome (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/apartment-and-hotel-help-in-rome-702553/)

happytotravel May 4th, 2007 05:03 PM

Apartment and Hotel help in Rome

We have booked a cruise out ouf Rome for June 2008. We would like to spend one week in Rome prior to the cruise. Both sets of in-laws will be joining us. I would like to find a location where my family of four could get an apartment and both in-laws could stay in a nearby hotel.

This is what I have come up with so far:
Apartments:

http://tinyurl.com/yvjsfu

http://tinyurl.com/yt5kzj

http://tinyurl.com/28tyvl

Hotels:

www.albergosantachiara.com

www.hotelabruzzi.it

How does this look location wise for being close to each other but moderately priced? Any other suggestions?
Thank You

MaureenB May 4th, 2007 06:32 PM

Your plan sounds like a good way to go.

Right below the Barbarini Palace, near the top of the Spanish Steps are the Domus Julia and the Hotel Julia. They are side-by-side sister properties. Domus Julia has apartment arrangements, where we stayed in a twin room last May. It was very nice for the low price (about 170EUR, I think, with a nice breakfast buffet served at the hotel). Our room was not fancy, but was nicely decorated, new tile bath, and very clean. I found out about it from other Fodorites last winter.

Here are my notes about it:
"I arrived at Romeís FCO airport around noon, having flown in from the States. I took the hotel shuttle to the Domus Julia, a nice little B&B type hotel, just below the Barberini Palace and very near the Spanish Steps, at via Rasella 32.

Domus Julia is a great value and nice little hotel. Itís the apartment annex to the Hotel Julia, so you check in and have breakfast buffet at the hotel. It is a fine little place, in a great location, at a very reasonable price. We had a double/twin room, which was large enough by European standards (and is pictured on their website quite accurately). It was 170EUR, with a private bath, and including the breakfast buffet. We entered our room via a nice dining room/kitchen common area. There were two other units which shared that space, and I think they are larger apartments and might suit our family of four. They offer a 13EUR shuttle from the airport, which is a big cost-savings."

Here's my complete trip report from Rome:
Rome-- http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34813272

Have fun planning your trip.
:)>-

happytotravel May 5th, 2007 07:15 AM

Thanks Maureen, I checked those out. Is there one area in Rome that would be preferable to stay for first timers?

Gmross May 5th, 2007 07:57 AM

Try www.sleepinitaly.com. We rented an apartment from them 2 years ago. They have apartment s all over.
Good Luck and have fun.
GB

MaureenB May 5th, 2007 08:31 AM

Happy, you ask a question that many ask on this forum. It was my first visit to Rome, meeting my daughter who had studied in Florence. We were very happy with our location. Many people recommend the Piazza Navonna area for a first-timer, though. We liked staying better a bit away from the crowds.

We walked nearly everywhere from the hotel, including Trevi Fountain (probably 15 minutes from the hotel walking), Piazza Navonna, the Pantheon, via Condotti, etc. Except to the Vatican and the Colosseum we took the subway one way, walked all the way back in the afternoons. But, we like to walk. The hotels I mention are on a small one-way side street that is not busy or loud.

There are so many great choices for lodging in Rome, especially looking as early as you are. Finding an apartment near a hotel is a bit of a twist, but doesn't sound too hard to do.

Search this forum for apartments in Rome, and hotels in Rome. Have fun planning.
:)>-

happytotravel May 5th, 2007 02:31 PM

Does anyone have a preference over Rental in Rome to Sleep in Italy? I think I read here that some have had a problem with Sleep in Italy using bait and switch. One of the apartments I would like is available on both sites, but is much less on the Sleep in Italy.

Also any comments about the hotels I listed?

Thanks Again

happytotravel May 6th, 2007 08:42 AM

ttt

iamq May 6th, 2007 09:22 AM

Your choices look nice. We used ItalyPerfect and can't recommend them highly enough. Lisa Byrne was great to work with and our apartment was exactly as it was represented on the website.

NeoPatrick May 6th, 2007 09:48 AM

happytotravel, we are renting the second apartment you show above -- the one to the side of the Pantheon on Minerva. But we are renting it from SleepinItaly for 980 euro per week (plus 35 for cleaning), instead of the 1264 quoted on your site.
Here's their listing for it, along with some updated pictures:
www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_minerva.html

happytotravel May 6th, 2007 10:58 AM

I think am learning that it is the individual owner that makes the difference in the apartment rental more than the agency (I have seen pro's and cons for both agencies).

imag: Thank you, I looked at Italy Perfect but I didn't see any right near the Pantheon. I think that I want to stay right in that area because of the nearby hotels (less chance of our large group getting lost and we could always have the front of the Pantheon as a meeting point.)

Neopatrick, I can't wait to hear back from your stay. That was my first choice. The pictures on sleepinitaly are much better, and the price difference is huge. Please report back.

NeoPatrick May 6th, 2007 11:46 AM

One interesting thing is that on the site you gave, there is no mention of AC, but on the sleepinitaly site there is. Yet in the video on your site, I don't see any sign of any AC units. I've emailed Guilia to ask about that. I'm also disappointed that it appears there is no shower, nor curtain or divider -- just a hand held device in the tub. In the sleepinitaly pictures I was still hoping for a wall mounted hook to place the shower control on at least.

I rented through SleepinItaly last summer and they were great. The apartment we rented was the Rondanini one, which other than an oder problem in the shower (sewer gas escapes due to the lack of a trap, apparently), it was fine.

kopp May 6th, 2007 12:01 PM

We've recently returned from Italy, where we stayed in two apartments from Sleep In Italy. I found dealing with Giulia and the others to be very professional and courteous. All emails were answered promptly, and the apartments were as shown on their website.

I wrote reviews here on Fodors of the places we stayed. One was even the Rondanini which NeoPatrick mentioned above. Don't know if it would help you in your situation, happytotravel, since you probably want an extra bedroom.

(I can't get the link to work but if you're interested, just click on my name and you'll find the reviews of the 4 apartments throughout Italy.)
Happy travels!

kopp May 6th, 2007 12:22 PM

NeoPatrick,
I can so relate to your comment about the shower not having a place to hang the shower head.

On the same trip I described above, we also stayed for a week in an apartment in Chamonix. Same as you're describing. The shower had a nice big tub and one of those removable shower heads with the long attachment to move it around. But the only hook was next to the faucet where the water comes out in the tub area.

What we ended up doing was filling up the bathtub, bathed, then stood up and rinsed off while holding the head the whole time.

Kind of a pain but we managed.

Have a good day.

bardo1 May 6th, 2007 02:25 PM

happytotravel,

All of the apts. and both of the hotels look you came up with look fine and I think you won't go wrong with any of them. Unless you really want to split hairs, then I suggest simply picking one from column A and one from columb B. Great research!

SeaUrchin May 6th, 2007 02:39 PM

On the other hand, I am one who likes those hand held showers, even if the hook is by the faucet. When I first started traveling to Europe that is how most of the faucets were. I think of it as another reminder that I am in Europe and also that it is better in my opinion than those tiny showers with the wet plastic curtain spanking me.

Have fun whichever you choose.

LucieV May 6th, 2007 02:51 PM

SeaUrchin, I thought I was the only one who felt that way. So much so, in fact, that when we remodelled our house, I insisted on having one of those hand-held showers in our new bathroom. I love those puppies, and I agree: having them in hotels when we travel is another welcome reminder that I'm not in my own stomping ground.

kopp May 6th, 2007 03:17 PM

We have done the same thing with our showers here at home, installed those hand-held shower heads with the long hose. I love the kind that comes down like rainwater.

I especially like to be able to get into those "hard to reach" places, lol!

But I still prefer there to be a hook to hold it when taking a shower!

SeaUrchin May 6th, 2007 03:58 PM

LOL, yes, I have one too, in the package still waiting for someone to install it. It is the kind with the hook and the hand held wand in a really nice gold.

Just thinking about those bathtubs in Europe makes me want to return!

LucieV May 6th, 2007 04:11 PM

Sea, have you considered installing it yourself? 'Tain't no biggie.
http://tinyurl.com/2degzt

SeaUrchin May 6th, 2007 04:51 PM

Thanks for the info.! I'll take a look.