Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anywhere but here... (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anywhere-but-here-92363/)

mmm Nov 2nd, 2000 03:19 AM

Anywhere but here...

Are you sick of being in your boring home country? (assumed answer is YES..heh) Where would you rather be? <BR> <BR>Me, I want to be- <BR>In Europe: South France or Italy or Greece or Spain, somewhere warm and un-pollen-y <BR> <BR>In the rest of the world: Canada (somewhere in the vicinity of Daniel Lavoie), Tibet (cos it's cool), Africa (near animals)

Al Godon Nov 2nd, 2000 05:43 AM

Vienna: near operas <BR>Switzerland: near mountains <BR>Yellowstone: near about anything wild and wonderful <BR>

Linda Nov 2nd, 2000 07:17 AM

Well, I'm going to be in Mexico later this month and Tasmania probably in March, so I can handle my boring state till then! But I'd prefer to be in England or sunny southern Spain any time!

m.tyner Nov 2nd, 2000 10:18 AM

There are time when I like being boring - however, if I was granted 3 wishes: <BR>spring & fall: Eastern Europe - probably Budapest ( I might have said Prague but it gets so crowded in the spring, Budapest still seems somewhat overlooked) <BR>winter: the Maderia islands <BR>summer: one of the Italian Lakes

lisa Nov 2nd, 2000 12:00 PM

Hey Linda, I'm going to be in Mexico later this month too -- what part of the country are you going to? We'll be in Isla Mujeres, Merida, and Laguna Bacalar. <BR> <BR>But in answer to the original question, yes, I still fantasize about going away, even though I've already got an upcoming vacation planned! I believe the wanderlust accelerates around this time of year as the days get shorter and shorter, darker and darker, colder and colder. Right now, Italy has the biggest hold on my imagination, but it will have to wait until next year (heavy sigh). <BR> <BR>THIS isn't even a bad case of wanderlust yet though -- just wait until about mid-February when it seems winter will never end -- ugh!

Thyra Nov 2nd, 2000 12:48 PM

Well I am seriously thinking of ways to get 8 days in London and Paris this March..... I am scheming and planning...oops I already found a charming hotel in London... therefore I HAVE to go now... only 5 months, nearly an obsession, but not quite.

Neville Nov 2nd, 2000 02:34 PM

speaking as a Brit who visits various part of the States, I sometimes wonder why Americans seem so eager to get out of the country when you have such a wonderful variety of scenery and customs, from Alaska to Hawaii. This is not intended as a criticism, I'm just curious.

Thyra Nov 2nd, 2000 02:38 PM

Well I certainly don't presume to speak for everyone, only myself, but one reason I go back again and again is because of the history!!! In L.A a place is old if it was built in 1940. I still get a thrill when I touch a castle wall, or visit an ancient tomb. The USA is a great place and you could spend a couple of life times not seeing it, but for a history buff like me, well..

Thyra Nov 2nd, 2000 02:38 PM

OOPs, I meant to say, spend a couple of life times and NOT see it all.... sorry

atchoo Nov 3rd, 2000 03:14 AM

Neville- grass is greener, n all that....personally, I like going overseas for the history (like Thyra said), and also for the different languages and people <BR> <BR>btw I'm Aussie, not American so yeah

Judy Nov 3rd, 2000 03:34 AM

MMM, I agree with Thyra. The USA is a great country and I love her dearly, BUT Europe just has more history and I am fascinated with history. After all, the UK "was" our mother country, and to know her history is to know our own better, IMHO.

Jen Nov 6th, 2000 01:00 PM

Neville, <BR> <BR>As a yank with an undying obsession for western europe, I think part of it has to do with language, culture, and a sense of history. <BR> <BR>It's funny, although I have been to about 30 states, have driven across the US three times (twice on my own) and have lived about equal time on both coasts, it all feels like the same place in many ways (albeight Manhattan is about as far from Northern CA culturally as the moon is from cream cheese). I think if the country and the language changed as often as it does in Europe that I would feel more well travelled than I do. <BR> <BR>Also, because the US is a young country, the depth (length? breadth?) of history is not as great as in some other parts of the world. Cheerio...