Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anything to do on 3-hour layover at Heathrow?

Jul 28th, 1997, 07:02 AM
Mary

we've got a 3-hour layover at Heathrow and wondered if anyone had suggestions for an excursion. . .thanks.

Jul 28th, 1997, 08:45 AM
Sally

Shop! Seriously. If you are transiting between terminals 1&4 that will take time as you have to go through security again. Heathrow is VERY busy and there are frequently air traffic delays that will eat into that 3 hours. In both terminals there are rather nice shopping malls. Our experience last week was that anything under a 2 hour layover at Heathrow is risky.

Jul 28th, 1997, 09:42 AM
Mary

Sally--thanks!

Jul 30th, 1997, 05:46 PM
Julie

I agree with the previous poster. Heathrow is huge with not much around it. It would be risky to leave the airport and hope to get back in time for your flight. But the duty free shopping there, especially in terminal 4, is terrific! Bring lot of credit cards.

Aug 3rd, 1997, 11:53 AM
Holly

When I was there visiting, I had a short time in London myself, but I chose to actually see some of London via the tube. Use your time wisely and I think you'll find some interesting things. Pick up a tube map and find what you especially want to see on it and go for it. Have a lovely trip.

Aug 28th, 1997, 11:52 AM
Marcy

I transit through Heathrow a lot, and I agree with the person that said anything under a 2-hour layover is risky. It takes a lot of time to get from one place to another, especially if you have to transfer terminals.
Shopping is definitely one way to pass the time (especially in Terminal 4). Depending on how far you've come and how far you're going, a shower can be a great pick-me up. Go to the information desks. They can tell you where the showers are, and they have towels for rent for (I think) 1 pound each. DO NOT try to get into London to see anything unless you have at least 6 hours. A taxi is a very expensive way to get into town but it's marginally quicker than the Tube (depending on the time of day). The Tube (Underground, Subway) took me over an hour to get from Harrod's back to Heathrow last year.

Aug 28th, 1997, 05:41 PM
John

We were at heathrow last year with a 3 hour layover on our way to Rome. We chose to take the tube to London, West end district and stopped off at an Pub , had a drink, ate a sandwitch and bought a briefcase in the course of this time. Had no problem with time as we moved fast!

Sep 8th, 1997, 10:48 AM
Tricia

Sending this to 9/8 so gentleman with 5 hour layover will see it. PEOPLE NEED TO READ!!