Reload this Page >

Anything like this ever happen to you?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 07:51 AM
Becky

Anything like this ever happen to you? <BR>Okay, so here I was, in France, at the pool, and I was playing water tag with this guy. Then, all of a sudden , he decides that he "loves me" (Yeah, right.) and tries to make out with me! Luckily, one of my friends came and saved me! Whew! Anyone else have an experience like this?

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 09:03 AM
Bob Brown

Hmm. Are you bragging or complaining? <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 09:09 AM
EZ2C

So, was there an extra charge for this little side trip, or was it included in the package price?

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 09:13 AM
Joann

Becky, I'll tell you what,...either grow up or post an intelligent question. <BR> <BR>Hmmm, better yet, can you do both?

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 10:56 AM
Sally

Yes, when I was in my early twenties by myself in Paris.I was walking by myself in the Latin Quarter, and a young black man tried to pick me up. I pretended not to understand French and kept going quickly.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 03:08 PM
Ann

Nope! I suspect you are THE only person that has ever happened to! Please tell me you are 14 years old or younger.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 03:19 PM
Catherine

Becky, I would say make the most of it. <BR>when women get to a certain age, 35 say.It dosen't happen any more. <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 03:57 PM
s.fowler

*GRIN* <BR> <BR>On my first trip to Europe [the infamous 300 churches 200 museums in 6 weeks one] I was take to dinner at the Savoy and then necked on a bench outside Westminster Cathedral with a young man I met on the flight over <BR> <BR>Now I enjoy the company of my spouse <BR>

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 04:23 PM
Becky

Meow! Ouch! Geez, guys, I was just posting a question to see if any other women out there had the same kind of experience! Oh yes, for the record, I'm complaining,and I am 17.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:39 PM
dan woodlief

I was hit on by a couple of men in the Gellert baths in Budapest. Luckily, at least one spoke good English. I had to quite forcefully say I was married and definitely not interested. I read after returning that this was a popular spot for "cruising" as they called it. No kidding!!

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 06:52 PM
nj

In Becky's defense, there was nothing wrong with asking a question such as that posed, though one had to pay attention to the details to guess her age. True, most people reading this forum are probably over 25-30 years old, and memories of playing water tag are long faded. I'm guessing that what Becky was really asking was whether men are more 'forward' in France than in the US. A very legitimate query in a forum such as this. Perhaps she could have gotten all the info desired without detailing the incident in the pool. But heck, she's 17....give her a break! An unwarranted outpouring of biliousness in my book. Lighten up a little.

Old Aug 15th, 1999, 08:43 PM
D.Spiegel

Becky, <BR>When I went to Europe for the first time I was 30, and I got hit on in just about every country I visited. This is not just something they do in Europe -- it could happen to you here in the States too, regardless of age. In some countries the men are accustomed to being around tourists -- and they know some of these tourists are seeking "adventures". As you travel, you may find the men especially forward in Greece and Italy. If you are offended, just make your feeling clear, and they will probably leave you alone. To some of them, this is just a game. Personally, I enjoyed meeting men as I traveled and they provided some company when I traveled alone. I considered it part of the experience. Remember, the word "NO" is understood in many languages.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 09:03 AM
Maggi

My husband and I were at a resort south of Playa del Carmen, Mexico heavily populated with Europeans, most of whom were very uninhibited about their bodies. Not being used to "topless" beaches, I was trying to be cool and continental. One lovely evening I was alone in the secluded swimming pool when a man came up on the deck. As I glanced casually at him, he dropped his trunks and dove in. I continued doing my laps, and each time I swam past him he made an attempt to have conversation. Finally, a light bulb went on and I quickly got out and ran back to my hut. When I returned a few minutes later with my husband the man was gone. Bottom line, better to be safe than "cool".

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 10:29 AM
Tracy

Now i can see why this was such a superficial topic...she's only 17. I can honestly say, some of the dumbest comments on here are by 17yr olds and younger. Case in point, the "Beach Week" topic in the United States Forum. <BR> <BR>There's nothing amusing about being hit on by a little French guy...

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 10:53 AM
ligtenup

Tracy, Lighten up. If you read Becky's other posts you will see that she is a bright young girl that has caught the travel bug. I think her comments have been very mature and I don't see your point.

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 11:21 AM
Sarah Gillespie

This has got to be one of the sappiest things I've ever seen on the Forum. "This guy tried to make out with me..blah blah blah". <BR>This looks more like bragging than an intelligent question. <BR>I'm 18, and have had attention from guys while on travel, but i dont feel the need to brag about it in a forum!

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 03:54 PM
topper

<BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 04:00 PM
jac

What on earth is wrong with all of you? <BR> <BR>If you don't like the question, just don't post a response. No big deal. <BR> <BR>It's totally unnecessary to post such nasty responses. Perhaps you should consider why you've made the aggressive responses you have? <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 04:18 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Becky-I agree one hundred per cent with the small number of posters who sensed your concern with the situation and tried to give helpful advice. The others must have had a bad hair day for your question was not out of line and I think you deserved a courteous answer. Hope you had a good trip anyway! Joan

Old Aug 17th, 1999, 04:53 PM
topper

<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -