Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anything I should know about flying out of Luton?

Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It looks like my best option is a flight from London/Luton to Berlin. Has anyone flown out of Luton? If so, are there any suprises--anything I should know?

Their website suggests taking the Luton Airport Parkway train from St. Pancras and then the Train2plane bus.

I'd appreciate any advice.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Should have previewed that! It's supposed to be "surprises."
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Which airline are you flying with? This matters far more than the airport you are flying from.
Luton is mainly used by budget airlines, and you need to stick to their T&C to the letter, or you may be denied boarding or charged an excessive amount of fee at check-in. Check-in deadline is strictly applied. If an airline says check-in closes 40 min before departure, it means exactly that, even if you are waiting in line to check in. No mercy is shown if you are delayed by public transport. Also 40 min refers to the original scheduled departure time, even if a plane is delayed. They also take weight and size limitation of luggage seriously, and any excessive weight is charged at punitive rates. Some make you check-in online before arriving at the airport.
As an airport, Luton is moderrn, fairly compact (just one terminal) and quite well signposted. Just aim to arrive 2-3 hours before departure, to be sure.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Original Poster

Alec,

Thanks very much for the info. I'll be flying Easyjet, basically because it has a 1:05 p.m. flight. If I flew out of Gatwick, I'd have to take a 6:55 a.m. flight. I don't even know how I'd get to the airport at that time.

I'll be sure to get there really early.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:28 PM

I've done it a couple of times and it's a scoosh.
Old Jul 13th, 2009, 01:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I flew Luton-Nice on Easyjet earlier this year. Only problem was that it left late.

Getting to Luton I took the train from St. Pancras and then the shuttle from the station. Note that the platforms for the trains to Luton are at the BACK of St. Pancras - you have to walk past the full length of the international platforms to get there. Taxis drop off at the back, but buses from south of the station don't.