Anyplace in Europe inexpensive?

Dec 1st, 2004, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Anyplace in Europe inexpensive?

We have been reading alot about the weak dollar and the resulting high costs in Europe. Though I wonder if there are any countries that are not connected to the Euro where the American dollar has held up pretty good and things are reasonable or maybe even inexpensive.

Maybe certain Eastern European Countries or Portugal.??
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:33 AM
ira

Hi trav,

The Danish Krona has remained fairly steady against the dollar.
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:48 AM

Never spent more than $24 for dinner for 2, including a bottle of wine in Romania a few weeks ago. Plenty of decent double rooms for less than $40 a night.

Of course, inexpensive is in the eye and wallter of the beholder.
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:48 AM

wallet, that is
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:18 AM

I agree with Clifton. What do you consider "expensive" and when something is "expensive" does that automatically mean it isn't "worth" the expense?

Example: First Class Airfare which a lot of people think is expensive and a lot of people feel isn't worth that expense.

Going to Europe AND seeing the places you WANT to see vs. seeing the places that are "less expensive." Is it worth it? Have you really "saved" any money?
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:46 AM

I was in Serbia, Hungary, Austria and the Czech Republic in September 2004.

Austria was expensive, but worth it to me, because it had been high on my wish list, and it delivered big time.

Hungary and the Czech Republic were cheaper than the "west." However, local people told us that prices had increased a great deal in recent years and, if the trend continued, they anticipated their countries would catch up with the "west" in due course.

Serbia was considerably cheaper than Hungary, but there were some things about it that put me outside of my comfort zone. There were some gorgeous buildings (town halls, churches, mansions from the past), but there also was poverty. My reaction was similar to the one I had when I went to a friend's wedding in a non-touristy part of Mexico. If you decided to visit Serbia, I would recommend doing extensive research ahead of time.

I have not been to Slovenia and Croatia, but I've heard they are lovely countries and at this point they are less expensive than the "west."

I've also heard good things about Poland. From what I've heard (from my son's girlfriend who is from there originally and who returns for quite regular visits), Poland is similar to the Czech Republic when it comes to the rate at which it is recovering from the after-effects of Communism.
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:17 AM

In the summer of 2004 I went to Tallinn in Estonia. It was beautiful and much less expensive than Sweden and Finland. Take a peek at the articles below:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34523524

http://www.fodors.com/forums/pgMessa...=0&keyword=127

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/desti...cs-cover_x.htm
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:43 AM

Would you consider visiting rural Alabama over New York City because of the expense. There are lot of inexpensive places. The question is, is that where you wanted to go?
Dec 1st, 2004, 07:51 AM

Portugal is fairly inexpensive and very beautiful.
Dec 1st, 2004, 09:02 AM

It's already been said, but it all comes down to your point of reference. Yes, the dollar is currently very weak and is not likely to recover anytime soon, so you'll just have to pack a few extra dollars where ever you plan to go. There are places in Europe where you can get by without breaking the bank if you know how to get along on the local economy. Your major expense will by your hotel. You can always find inexpensive restaurants in any city or village. One key example can be found in the Basque Country where you can have an excellent meal for under $25 USD, including wine. You can always go to the grocery store and live like the locals, who still earn far less then most Americans.

When the dollar finally recovers, as it will sometime in the near future, then you can return to Europe and live like royalty as so many Americans did during the height of the Clinton years.
Dec 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM

To save money go east and south. Istanbul is probably the most fascinating place I've ever been and it is much less expensive than major cities in France, Germany, and England. Bulgaria, Romania, and the other eastern countries are also very inexpensive but not nearly as interesting as Istanbul.
Dec 1st, 2004, 06:09 PM

I will second Istanbul, and Turkey in general. You money goes much further.
Fascinating country, extremely friendly people. The Med coast is one of our favorite vacation spots. Go in May/June or Sept/Oct before the hoards descend on the beaches.
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:07 PM

Molvania?
Dec 1st, 2004, 08:45 PM

>>>>>>Molvania?<<<<<<

(I'm glad they didn't detain you in China for too long, Neil. It is great to be benefitting once again from your deep insights.)
Dec 2nd, 2004, 12:49 AM

Judy, for some reason the Chinese authorities did their best to help me leave, but were frustrated at every turn by China Eastern. I think my next Asian excursion will be to the previously little-known nation of Phaic Tan, now brought to prominence by the latest Jetlag ytavel guide, "Phaic Tan: Sunstroke on a Shoestring". I can hardly wait.