Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone watching the Eurovision competition? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-watching-the-eurovision-competition-617074/)

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 11:44 AM

Anyone watching the Eurovision competition?

I just saw Texas Lightening with their Never, Never song. Hope they win!

This is a competition that goes back 60 years. European countries compete against each other to see who can sing the best song. Celine Dion won the competition for Switzerland one year.

logos999 May 20th, 2006 11:54 AM

>Texas Lightening with their Never, Never song
They sure aren't bad, even though Dittsche is totally out of place as a drummer ;-)

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 11:58 AM

Hi Logos! I'm playing on-line jass and watching the competition at the same time. My husband grew up with this competition and is trying to get the kids hooked on it too. This year has been better than some in the past.

logos999 May 20th, 2006 12:05 PM

It's a nice tradition I recall Udo Jürgens and ABBA who became famous after winning. Mr. Siegel wrote the Swiss song this time... ;-), finally someone else booked him and has to suffer.

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:08 PM

That's pretty funny about Siegel. Doesn't say a alot about Switzerland this yer.

Abba won with Waterloo. Celine Dion won too. Nicole won as well, didn't she? (Ein bisschen Frieden.)

logos999 May 20th, 2006 12:10 PM

>Ein bisschen Frieden
It was the right song at the right moment. Never heard of her again though.

logos999 May 20th, 2006 12:17 PM

Looks like Finland will win this year .... ;-)

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:18 PM

Quite a show. Monsters at Eurovision! Kiss looks harmless next to them.

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:25 PM

What a surprise! The French are singing in.... French. Personally, I wish more bands would sing in their own language and not in English.

Mucky May 20th, 2006 12:26 PM

Great laugh !!

UK will get zero and the monsters will win.

What's Germany doing American country in English for? Do the Germans lack identity?

And the Lithuanians ? that song about we are the winners of Eurovision cracked me up !! whats all that about..lolol Do they know something the rest of Europe don't? ...doubt it..lol
Keep em coming I'm here for the duration, been up the pub already, got a few beers here and this is the best TV on ever. !! lol
:-)

Muck

Mucky May 20th, 2006 12:29 PM

Croatia...lolololololololololololololol

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

:-)

Brilliant entertainment !!

Muck

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:30 PM

Hey Mucky,

I think those beers are really kicking in. Or is it the red dress, long legs, red underwear and big lips of the Croatian singer?

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:34 PM

So, has Ireland put anyone to sleep yet?

logos999 May 20th, 2006 12:34 PM

Yes, brilliant! :-) Germans didn't want to end up last as we did last year, when the 2nd winner of the German version of "American Idol" sang for Germany. American country singers cost less than one might think and her song is REALLY good. :-) This time fingers crossed for Germany.

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:44 PM

Even Armenia is competing! Go Europe!

logos999 May 20th, 2006 12:48 PM

No this will be exciting!
SMS to vote is only 20ct (in the next 10 min.). Schuler, don't forget to send the SMS :-)

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 12:53 PM

Logos, I just read that the Texas Lightning singer is from Australia. Germany REALLY went global this year.

logos999 May 20th, 2006 12:57 PM

Now, don't forget to vote, only 3 min left. :-)

Mucky May 20th, 2006 12:57 PM

Norway is good ( well the singer is gorgeous ) sorry is this a song contest...those damn beers...lol
Whats going on with the Russian Piano....???

I can't wait for the voting...
Turkey and Greece..nothing for each other, Croatia will vote for its neighbours and if they vote for Lithuania then we know it's political...lol

But I think Sweden will win..

Muck

kleeblatt May 20th, 2006 01:05 PM

For a sample of the Texas Lightning song, you can go to no. 16 on this website.
http://www.hitparade.ch/weekchart.asp?cat=s

Mucky, why Sweden?