Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone visited a place because they'd read a book about or based at a location?

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:23 PM
kathryn

Just wondering if anyone else has ever read a book about a place & thought that it would be interesting to visit? If so,where was it & did it live up to your expectations?

To start the ball rolling,I recently read a book called 'The year of wonders'.It was based on what happened in the Derbyshire village of Eyam when the plague reached there in 1665.The book was unputdownable & the village itself,although beautiful,had an air of sadness about it,despite it being a suuny day.

The village church was especially moving,and the story of the great sacrifice the inhabitants made is told in there.It is hard to believe only 1 in 6 people survived.You can still see the plague cottages,where the whole thing started,and people still live in them. Spooky.Definately glad I visited.

Anyone else?

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:26 PM
Grasshopper

Yep, Italy. When I read The Agony and the Ecstasy 10 years ago the seed was planted. Since then I go to Italy (and Europe) every chance I get.

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:27 PM
StCirq

Really quirky, I know, but I once made a rather big detour to the town in Germany where the semi-colon was invented after reading a grammar book.

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:39 PM
kerouac

I have been to 1. the westernmost point of Africa (in Senegal), the southernmost point of Africa (in South Africa), the westernmost point of France, the southernmost point of the United States... Obviously these places have no specific interest other than geography. But I was happy to go to all such places.

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Ani

AFter reading extensively about Richard III, Simon de Montfort, Eliz. I, etc...our entire trip to England and Wales in MArch was based on places I'd read about and wanted to see. And now, after reading much about Mary QO Scots-our Scotland trip will be similar..its wonderful to see these places.

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Buzzy

I visited Provence after reading Peter Mayle's books based in the area. I saw the water wheel outside the Casse D'eparge mentioned in the book Hotel Pastis in Isle sur Sorgue and the cave which the robbers are said to have swum into to get underneath the bank (all fiction of course).

I visited Menerbes where Peter Mayle used to live and walked into the Cafe Du Progress mentioned in the book A Year In Provence. Everywhere was exactly as described and if anyone else wants to follow the same trail they will not be disappointed.

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:54 PM
mpprh

Hi

actually I've always done it the other way round.

Read the books, because I've been there first.

Hence Peter Mayle, James Clavell etc.

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com

Sep 5th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Book Chick

Yes, I went to Avignon after studying that the seat of the papacy was located there in the late 12th and early 13th century.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:00 PM
dave

I went to Leiden Holland after I learned that the people on the Mayflower actually lived there for a while before sailing for the USA. There is even a plaque on a building to this effect in Leiden.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Ima Drunk

I went to the Czech Rupublic town of Ceske Budejovice in order to tour the brewery. It is home to the original Budweiser brewary. One Bud brother went to America and watered down his beer, and the other brother brews his Budweiser under the original name (Budwar) from this town.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:05 PM
x

The collected works of Rick Steves, of course, started me on my course to europe.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:06 PM
Horn Dog

I went to Paris after watching the movie Moulin Rouge. Of course, I had to make a pilgrimage to the famous club.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:07 PM
Kid Rock

I went to Bologna, Italy after watching an Oscar Meyer commercial.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:11 PM
Rick

I read some story about a little boy who saved the town from a bomb when he took a leak on the fuse of the bomb. I read that they made a statue of this boy and that it is actually called Mannequin Pis. FOr this crazy thing, I traveled to Brussels.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:14 PM
Yep

I read some stories about lesbians, so I visited the Greek Island of Lesbos.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:15 PM
Mandy

I went to Germany to visit the town of Frankfurt to - you guessed it - eat a frankfurter.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Bob

I read a story about people eating Weinerschnitzel, so I went to visit Wein (Vienna) Austria. True story. they have excellent Weinerschnitzel.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Tina

How about Salzburg after seeing teh SOund of Music?

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Dave

After reading about the Storming of the Tuileries during the French Revolution, I made sure to visit Lucerne Switzerland to see the memorial of the Lion.

Sep 5th, 2002, 01:20 PM
Nancy

I visited a small village in Northern Italy after I had read in an autobiography that most of the town's men and boys had been killed in retaliation to a German officer being killed in WWII.
We went to pay homage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO