Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone used Orbitz for tix to Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-used-orbitz-for-tix-to-europe-376260/)

cch1 Nov 14th, 2003 10:17 AM

Anyone used Orbitz for tix to Europe?

I am just wanting feedback on people's experiences with Orbitz for an international flight. If traveling as a couple and ordering 2 tickets, does Orbitz have you seated together, or are seats assigned at check in? Thanks.

Jennie Nov 14th, 2003 10:43 AM

cch1:

My mom and I got our tix to Europe this past Sept./Oct. on Orbitz. We had a very positive experience. You are able to choose your seats yourselves by clicking on the seats you want on a "seat map."

Of course, depending on how far in advance you buy your tickets, you may have to wait until the airline itself opens up seat selection (in our case, we couldn't choose seats until 90 days in advance of our flights), but that's an airline thing, not an Orbitz thing.

Have a great time in Europe!
Jennie :)

baby108 Nov 14th, 2003 11:39 AM

I booked airfares for our family couple times on Orbitz and it worked out good both times. Like Jennie mentioned above, you will be able to pick the seats right on the web-site or if you want to change that later, you can always call the airline at

baby108 Nov 14th, 2003 11:41 AM

Sorry, I didn't finish yet.
Call the airline at least more than 3 days ahead and get the seats changed. If it's within 3 days of the flight date,most airline won't be able to do that but rather at the time of check in.

travelbug18 Nov 19th, 2003 07:56 AM

I've had nothing but good experience with Orbitz. They're actually my favorite when it comes to booking travel online...though I always do a quick search of other sites to make sure that there's not something better out there.

DH actually had a really good experience with them bc he signed up for their wireless care alert bc he goes away on business alot. Apparently, his flight was delayed and they sent him one of those text messages before he left for the airport. It's something really small, but there's nothing worse than waiting in the airport for a delayed flight.

brandiandmatt Nov 19th, 2003 09:05 AM

I didn't use Orbitz for overseas (although have used them many times domestically, with happy results), but I just booked my airline tickets to Italy on Hotwire. They don't show you the flight times (a touch nerve wracking), but we got a very good deal on a direct flight from Miami to Venice on Aitalia. We couldn't be more pleased.

Travelnut Nov 19th, 2003 09:20 AM

Also, I nearly always use Orbitz to "troll" for fares, and most of the time I locate the same on the airline's own web and book there.
But I did order tickets thru Orbitz for domestic trip, and all was fine.

travelingtedrows Nov 19th, 2003 06:26 PM

I tried to use Orbitz on the trip we're taking next week. Unfortunately, when I was searching, the day I wanted and the fare I wanted would come up but when I tried to book, suddenly there wouldn't be availability. When I went to the airline's page, I was able to see the availability more easily. Also, the airline site didn't have a service fee. I've used them on other trips before. No problems with seating or anything

travelbug18 Nov 24th, 2003 06:33 AM

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'm sure that as more people are booking online and leaving their travel agents behind, sites like Orbitz have been experiencing higher volumes of traffic. I know that they only updat their site a few times a day, so maybe this has something to do with it. Glad to hear that this is a first for you though.

KAMG Nov 24th, 2003 07:05 AM

I used Orbitz to book tickets to Italy in Jan. 01 (not long after 9/11 changed flight schedules!) and by the time of our trip in June one of our flights had been cancelled. Orbitz was great - they called us and I actually worked through changing our flights with an agent. They would have let me cancel and refunded my money, but by then all the flights were more $$$. So they let us take a bit of a long layover btwn London and Milan, and we did not pay a cent more.

I just booked tix to Ireland with Expedia, I hope they are as good to deal with as Orbitz!