Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone used an inflatable beach ball as footrest on plane?

Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

I read that tip somewhere and thought it might be a good idea. Has anyone tried it? If so, do beachballs work well as footrests/leg rests? Or do flight attendants want you to keep the area in front of your seat clear?
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:39 AM

Let's see, you can hardly get your feet under the seat in front of you as is. But it could be fun. Instead of a foot rest - how about throwing the ball around the cabin especially when people are eating? Liven things up a bit! I jump rope, myself.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:46 AM

No I have not tired it, but I'm pretty darn sure, there is not enough room for a blown-up beach ball!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 09:53 AM

Unless you're in First Class - in which case you have at least a lounge chair - and possibly a bed - it would fit between the seats only if the smallest beach ball known to man.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:03 AM

I think that's a stupid idea myself. I usually fly Air France and they give you foot rests on the plane that fold up or down as you want them. I don't recall other carriers, isn't that common? Anyway, there isn't room for one, but if there were, a beach ball would be a bad idea because it is round and wouldn't be stable. I do everything I can to keep that space as open as possible so I can stretch out my legs when I want, which I think is more important. How much of a footrest do you need? You could use your carryon or something maybe, especially if you take off your shoes.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:06 AM

Not to mention your knees would be up around your chin!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM

OK seriously... if you are very short and really need a footrest, take as your carry-on bag, one of those old-fashion cosmetic cases, hard-sided, square-shaped. It is the right size and is stable to rest your feet on.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM

Maybe the intent is to only partially inflate it, making an inflated pillow? If so, I would think a flatter type inflatable would be more stable. (I envision feet slipping off the ball)
Even though the space under the seat in front of me is small and I am 5'5", I usually need something under my feet if I want to try to stretch out as much as possible. I usually put my daypack there and use it as a footrest.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:11 AM

No, Christina, it is not common.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:19 AM

I love the idea about tossing the ball about - now that would be fun and make those long flights pass a lot quicker. Maybe we can get the crew to play some good beach music via the intercom and string some lights around the overheads and come around serving rum runners and Bahama mamas...everyone in their flip flops and swim suits, spread a little sand on the floor....ah yes.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:27 AM

Well an inexpensive barely inflated one sounds pretty good to me. I could use it to roll my feet on and then rest them on it, leaving it on the plane, deflated.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:29 AM

As pointed out upthread, no, U.S. transatlantic flights are not equipped with footrests in coach. And I can't recall footrests in coach on AirFrance on my last transatlantic trip with them either. In fact, the only coach seat I've ever had that included a footrest was Air New Zealand, and that was for a very, very long flight indeed.

The beach ball would actually work very well for me. It wouldn't sit underneath the seat in front of me, but between the front edge of my seat and the back of the seat in front of me. It would permit me to fold my legs indian-style, and I could rest my feet on it with my knees bent (the way you'd sit on the floor, basically). The ball needn't be fully inflated, as squishing it into the space available will bring it up to the height you need, and will also prevent it from rolling around.

I'm going to try this on my next translatlantic flight in June.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:32 AM

if it were only partialy inflated, it wouldn't roll around since your feet would be sinking it down. It would have to be rather large however (in diameter) to comfortably fit both feet if you wanted to spread out a little so I don't think one of those mini balls would work.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:38 AM

Blowing it up on the plane would give me a headache anyway, nevermind.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 10:39 AM

Curt... I want to be on that flight too!!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:29 AM

Terese, if you do what you describe, your knees will be in your neighbors lap!!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 11:36 AM

Hi luxing ~ actually my nieces have a small beach ball that would fit under the seat in front of you.

I think it is a pretty brilliant idea. I often place my feet upon my carry on to elevate a bit, I find my legs ache less when I do this for long flights. A small beach ball, possibly inflated half way is a pretty fantastic idea, and I like it better than using my carry on, which sometimes has things in it that I wouldn't want to damage.

Excellent
Many thanks!
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:09 PM

It would sure work better than the portable foot rests Magellan sells. (and be a lot lighter in your carry on)

The folks saying your knees would be under your chin are obviously not short. The lack of leg room for most people is a big issue for sure. But if one is short - the lack of a foot rest is an even bigger problem. My feet do not hit the floor in an airline seat and a 6 or 10 hour flight can be excruciating.

I generally rest my feet on my handbag/carry on. But something squishy like an under-inflated ball might be a great solution.
Mar 23rd, 2007, 01:24 PM

janisj~ and you really think we can all sit cross-legged without overlapping the edges of our seats?
suze
Mar 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM

Remember that your fellow row-mates will have to climb past you (and your beach ball) to get to the aisle, unless you have the window seat of course.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO