Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone traveling to Rome to honour the Pope's passing?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a colleague who is cashing in his frequent flyer miles to take his entire family to Rome for a week to participate in the time of mourning. He believes that this is part of his children's historical and religious history.

Do you know anyone who is going to Rome for this reason (not clergy)?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

oops "historical and religious heritage."
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:01 PM
ewt

What a great memory for his kids.

As of now, it looks like I will be there for the concave or right after the election of a new Pope, which is likely to involve some celebratory activities. Its not the vacation I expected to have here, but as a Catholic who will be visiting my friend who is doing graduate work in Theology there, I am positive it is one I will never forget.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

Are you in Rome now?
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 06:13 PM

I would love to go over there now, but, alas, a gal's gotta work!
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:39 PM

I am just wondering if anyone who does not have a hotel room as of today will be able to get one. I rather doubt it considering all the people that will be coming into Rome.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 10:44 PM

I would be worried about involuntarily losing an already made reservation, as well. I'm sure there are many people who are coming to Rome who would be quite willing to pay several times the going rate.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:06 PM

Hi WillTravel, your comment made me jump because after I posted the same thought went through my head.

Not to make anyone nervous but in that people are flying in from all over the world, and no doubt many of them have a lot of pull so to speak not to mention being in strong financial shape plus not coming in as a tourist but to pay homage to the Holy Father I would be concerned. So I guess that comment would certainly make anyone going to Rome in these coming days nervous. I would sure doublecheck my hotel reservations etc.

The other side of the coin is I wonder if other cities like Florence, Venice etc. might not have an abundance of empty hotel rooms in the coming days.

I would anticipate that a lot of average Italians will be coming into Rome also. And I would think a lot of Polish people perhaps?

Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:17 PM

I would think your speculation might be right, about empty hotel rooms elsewhere.

I just took a look at Expedia and put in a stay of Apr. 5-11 for Rome. A bunch of places still came up at the same rates. Maybe their owners haven't gotten around to updating the prices yet. I'll check again tomorrow just for curiosity.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:27 PM

Hi WillTravel, were you planning on going to Rome this coming week?

If I were, and had any problem with getting a hotel room (or keeping the one I had reserved) I would immediately try somewhere else for sure.

Your post got me thinking.
Can you imagine what the airport at Rome will be like? The trains going into Rome, the crowded restaurants, the busses, the taxis etc. etc.

I would go to Venice or Milan or Florence or -- anywhere else unless I absolutely knew I had a hotel room and could handle a lot of frustrations and delays while traveling.

I heard on our local ABC news that it seems as the Holy Father's funeral will probably be this coming Friday.

Take care.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:30 PM

Oh no, I'm not going - I was just curious.

Best of luck to all the travelers. I would worry most about the trains - I can just imagine they will be jammed. Hopefully there won't be any strikes in the circumstances.
Old Apr 2nd, 2005, 11:42 PM

WillTravel, I don't think the Unions would dare strike during this coming week, do you? I think they would have the entire country as their enemy.

I could be wrong but that is my thought. Italians I believe will go out of their way to provide what they can due to their national pride. And also to honor John Paul II.

It certainly would be a moving and emotional time to be there. I was just thinking that I believe it would try the patience of a saint though.
Old Apr 3rd, 2005, 05:24 AM

We are leaving on April 15 for Rome...yikes! I think we will be there when they fly the cardinals in. Hopefully we will get to see some of the annointing for the new Pope. I'm not Catholic, nor am I well versed in any of these things so I could be totally off base. Anyone know what goes on when?
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 01:02 PM
ewt

I responded to this thread earlier, but my post seems to be deleted. Anyway, no I am not there now, but I leave in a couple of weeks.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:32 PM

We were meant to be visiting Rome this weekend but are going to cancel the trip. Is anyone looking for a room - we have a queen non-smoking room in the 5* Radisson SAS next to the main train station for 8-11 April. The hotel will change the name over but I would need to know by tomorrow.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 02:33 PM

We are leaving on the 13th and will be in Rome (I hope) from the 17-19 before flying to London, so we may be there for conclave. I e-mailed the hotel yesterday and they say they will honor the reservation-I hope so!! If not, I guess we'll go back to Tuscany or Umbria for the last two days. I'm a little wary of being there during this time, though I am Catholic and find the election interesting. My husband and I are a little bummed that we won't see the Sistine Chapel-again. We missed it in June due to a disasterous flight from the US to Italy. I guess we'll have to plan to go back again!!
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:00 PM

The college of cardinals meets in conclave in the Sistine Chapel beginning no earlier than 15 days following the death of the Holy Father. For serious reasons, the conclave may be postponed up to an additional 5 days.
That means the conclave will likely begin April 17.
The duration is anyone's guess, as short as one day.
If there is a deadlock, the balloting could go one for days and days.
And don't forget there will be at least a week's worth of special masses and other Papal events following the official installation mass.
Plan your trips accordingly.
I know Rome very well. It would be interesting to be there for such a historical event, however I don't enjoy the idea of being amidst AT LEAST two million people packed into a relatively small area. I'm staying home for this.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:21 PM
PJK

Our plans are to be in Rome (at the end of a two week trip elsewhere in Italy) on the 22-25th. Although I know the timing is anyone's guess, should I be concerned about hotel rooms at that point? We have two nights reserved at a hotel near the Forum on 22 and 23, and then our reservation is at the Holiday Inn at the airport on the 24th. It is pre-paid. There is not much I can do about the flight out at this point, but I could stay elsewhere until the night before the flight if necessary. What might be the best way to figure out my quandry once I am a few days away from going into Rome. Thanks for opinions. I know that no ones knows for sure. Regarding the post previous to this one---let's be respectful, okay? PJK
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:27 PM

E-mail from my spouse today, who is in Warsaw on business.

All the talk there is of special fights, trains etc to Rome.

Sounds as though half the country is decamping -- if that is not too undignified a term -- to Rome for the funeral.
Old Apr 4th, 2005, 04:28 PM

We leave on May 3, so we could be there during the conclave or the decision of "Abemus Papum" -- your friend is brilliant for taking his family. What an historical event. I am so sad at losing JPII and I do so hope we get an equally fantastic humanitarian.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -