Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Anyone stayed in the Jeu de Paume Hotel, Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/anyone-stayed-in-the-jeu-de-paume-hotel-paris-190282/)

Carmen Sep 19th, 2001 10:25 PM

Anyone stayed in the Jeu de Paume Hotel, Paris?

Going in October 5th -any feedback? Thanks

Alex Sep 20th, 2001 11:50 AM

Carmen. Stayed at the hotel years ago. It's the only 4 star hotel on L'Ile St. Louis, a terrific island in the river.The island architecture is outstanding, brought to you by many of the same folks who designed the Palace...at Versailles. <BR>I've only heard very good things about the hotel since (on our last visit this Spring we stayed at the Hotel St. Louis, a hotel I would recommend you avoid). The rooms are very small, reflecting the architecture of the 17th century. There are many previous threads describing the hotel. <BR>The location is unbeatable. Close to Notre Dame, Sainte-Chapelle, Vosges, the Marais, Picasso and a slew of other museums, as well as many first rate boutiques and restaurants, and, to the south, the Latin quarter, Pantheon, Luxembourg Gardens, Museum of the Middle Ages and so much more... La Tour d'Argent is a two minute stroll across a short bridge to the Quai de La Tournelle. Beyond is the Boulevard St. Germain. <BR> To the North,it's also very close to the main east-west Metro line, so you'll have easy access to the entire city. <BR>It's our favorite part of the city.

Carmen Sep 20th, 2001 08:19 PM

Wow! Thanks Alex! That sounds pretty good to me- thank you for your feedback. Following on, I don't suppose that you can recommend any restaurants on the Ile St Louis? Regards, Carmen

Alex Sep 21st, 2001 12:31 AM

Carmen: I second Ursala's recommendation of the L'Orangerie. Intimate setting, attentive service, very good food (not inexpensive). We've also enjoyed another restaurant on rue St. Louis en L'Ile, Le Monte Cristo. The island is small, only a couple blocks deep, and a little longer. <BR>I truly love strolling south, across the bridge, to La Tour d'Argent. And, to the Vieux Bistrot on the rue du Clotre-Notre Dame (which was closed, for renovation, I hope, this Spring past). <BR>I don't know if you've visited Paris before, but, I'd encourage you to amble off the island. There are countless good restaurants, brasseries and cafes, both designer and no name, within walking distance of your hotel, in the Marais, Bastille, Latin Quarter and St.Germain des Pres areas.That's an eternal charm of Paris.

Alex Sep 21st, 2001 01:05 AM

You may also wish to see www.ilestlouisaway.fr, for a great preview of the island, now and then. Click on "stores" for names and locations of various restaurants (though no reviews or clues about cuisine)

Ursula Sep 21st, 2001 01:12 AM

Alex: The Ile Saint Louise site is <BR>www.ilestlouis.away.fr <BR> <BR>Vive la différence! ;-) <BR> <BR>Just had a look at it! Nice, thanks.

Ursula Sep 21st, 2001 01:13 AM

sorry: <BR> <BR>Forget the "e" - of course I meant to write Ile Saint Louis!

Carmen Oct 1st, 2001 08:30 PM

Thanks Alex and Ursula! I have been in Paris once before but we were only there for 4 days. We somehow managed to end up eating only at foul little cafes that all had exactly the same menu- tourist traps- our fault. This time we are going for 9 days (from Sydney Australia) and are trying to research things better so that we don't end up at similar places! Thanks for the weblink - I will try it out today! <BR>Regards, <BR>Carmen <BR>P.s - have either of you tried the airport shuttle? We have booked a reservation and were wondering if this is the best way to get to the Hotel on arrival? <BR>Thanks

Alex Oct 1st, 2001 11:08 PM

Carmen: <BR>We've taken a shuttle (Paris Airport Services, I believe.There are several different services) from the airport to our hotels, but not from a hotel to the airport. It seems we're always the last stop on a circuitous sojourn with the shuttle, which is okay when one wants to see some different areas of the city(or when it's too early to check-in at the hotel), and, that we wait far too long to be picked up at the airport. We always take a taxi to the airport. I can't overcome the fear that we'll miss our plane while we're swinging into the 17th arrondissement to pick-up one last passenger who's dragging 3 shopping bags and a steamer trunk that won't stay closed. If you're with a group of 3-4 people if may be cheaper to go by taxi, and quite a bit faster. <BR>The full web address for the Ile St. Louis is: ilestlouis.away.fr/index2.html. It seems some folks have a hard time locating it with a partial address. I think it's worth looking for and at. Last, I've never had a bad meal in Paris, though I've had some mediocre ones and been served food I couldn't identify using any of my senses.

Carmen Oct 2nd, 2001 10:18 PM

Hey Alex, you made me laugh as I conjured an anxious trip to the airport via shuttle (I am the most punctual person in Australia!) - I think that you have just convinced me to take a taxi back to the airport, thanks for the tip! <BR>I envy your never having had a bad meal in Paris - and I thought that we were quite savvy tourists!!?? Oh well - better luck this time I guess! <BR>Regards, <BR>Carmen