Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone stayed in Montalcino or Montefollonic?

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 09:38 AM
sue

I'm visiting Tuscany this month - flying into Pisa - would love to stay in southern Tuscany this time...close enough to visit Siena, Pienza, etc. I think its about a 2 hour drive to this area from the Pisa Airport. I want to stay in a lovely town in this area with at least a 3 star hotel. Karen Brown's guide recommends Locanda La Costa? Anyone have any advice on this - we'll only be staying 3 nights and then moving up to Fiesole for 2 nights - visiting the Chianti region en route - and then seeing Florence for 1 day.

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 11:15 AM
Marija

We've stayed in Montefollonico, but I wouldn't recommend it. Locanda La Costa is a fine hotel but Montefollonico is an extremely small town with nothing going on, except for La Chiusa, an acclaimed restaurant. There's nothing to do in the evening unless you want to drive somewhere on dark, unfamiliar roads. Montalcino, in my opinion, is a much better choice (try hotel Dei Capitani and make sure you get valley views. It's not a luxury hotel, but quite pleasant). Montalcino has restaurants, a piazza where you can people watch, etc. I would definitely stay in Montalcino again. <BR>

Old Nov 4th, 2000, 02:52 PM
Carol

Yes, I stayed in Montalcino and I'd recommend it. I would also recommend the towns of Montepulciano, Pienza and Cortona as places to explore and stay overnight. Corona is especially worth seeing at different times of day for the different qualities of light, atmospheric conditions and social life of the town at various times of the day. <BR> <BR>I'm a little fuzzy about the names but I think these are the places: <BR>Cortona - Hotel San Michele ?? <BR>Montalcino - Hotel Dei Capitani <BR>Pienza - restaurant: Latte e Luna

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:13 AM
sue

I'm leaning towards Montalcino - in addition to the Dei Cap there is:

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:16 AM
sue

sorry - pushed the button too soon - there is hotels: Hotel Bellaria and Albergo Ristorante Il Giglio in Montalcino - also a Hotel Vecchia Oliviera - does anyone an opinion on these. I'm thinking about just driving there and picking my hotel without a reservation. I e-mailed Il Chiostro in Pienza but no reply. There does'nt see to be many great hotels in Montepulciano. I've already stayed in Cortona on a previous trip - please tell me more

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 06:45 PM
xxx

If you're traveling alone or not rooming with your travel mate, do not stay at Il Chiostro di Pienza. It is a beautiful place, and the larger doubles are interesting and attractive, but some of the singles are smaller than a monk's closet, with broken mattress springs, no tables, desks, bedstands, chests, closets or other storage places, and not enough floor space to lay a suitcase down flat to open it.

Old Nov 5th, 2000, 07:08 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Sue, let me suggest the Hotel Posta <BR>Marcucci in Bagno Vignoni. This is a great location to explore all of south <BR>Tuscany and the hotel is more than <BR>adequate. They have a good web site you <BR>can find by searching under that name. <BR>You will love the area. I am going back <BR>in early April.