Anyone stayed in an italian convent?

Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone stayed in an italian convent?

I am traveling to Italy this summer and staying a week in tuscany with a group of family who have booked an apartment. after that I am on my own and want to stay in Milan and Venice and northern italy for a week or so. has anyone stayed in italian convents or other lowcost housing? I am also open to staying in small towns that are along the train instead of in large cities if convenient and cheap.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Yes, I have stayed in an Italian convent in Rome and found it perfectly adequate for my purpose: a safe, clean and quiet place to sleep. I chose mine from the list on the Web site of the Church of Santa Susanna, the American church in Rome:

http://www.santasusanna.org/comingToRome/convents.html

Most but not all of the convents are in Rome; there are three listed in Venice.

You should be aware, though, that most of them have a curfew, generally but not always at 11:00 p.m. You should also reserve well in advance; many of them have only a limited number of rooms and they fill up quickly.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 02:10 PM
tmh

I stayed at what HAD to be a convent in Siena a few years ago. There was no formal sign just the distinct feel and look of one (never mind it was run by the Dominican order). It was next to Catherine of Siena church.

It was very nice although 2 double beds was the order of the day. Very clean and quiet. There was also a curfew but at my age I beat it by a mile!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Do convents allow married couples to share a room/bed? or are they for women only?
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 02:50 PM

Most of the convents I have seen described on the Santa Susanna Web site or in a book called "Bed and Blessings Italy" (published in 1999 for Jubilee Year in 2000) will take couples as well as singles of either sex.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:03 PM

We just got back from Borders bookstore and they had three copies of a book about Monesteries and Convents in Italy. There was a brief description, prices, rules (like 11 PM curfew), meals etc. and phone numbers. Many had web sites.

They are all over Italy including all major cities and many in the countryside. If you are married (someone asked), you may share a room with your spouse in most of them. Families are welcome in most of them. Many offer kitchen facilities but you have to clean up after yourself if you cook a meal.

It really looked interesting to me. You might check Borders.com and see if you can find the book on their search engine.

Let us know how it is if you decide to stay in them. I suspect many of us are curious.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 06:11 AM

Stayed in convents in Rome, Siena and Venice last summer. I have a small trip report. If you want it send me an e-mail. Highly recommend religous lodging as a great way to stay in an inexpensive, clean and safe place.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM

I have a book I purchased on line called "Lodging in Italy's Monasteries" and it has over 500 pages of information. Here is their web address: http://www.monasteriesofitaly.com
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:27 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
"has anyone stayed in italian convents or other lowcost housing?"

I have not, but have headr they are second to Nun.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 12:31 PM

Here's a suggestion for Florence:

Instituto Oblate dell'Assunzione
Borgo Pinti, 15
Firenze 50121
Fax: 39 0155 234 629
Sr. Lidia

We paid about $50/night for a double two years ago. The place was squeaky clean, and the location is great. The sisters speak Italian and French. I had to fax at least twice before receiving a response, so fax again if you don't hear from them within a couple of days. Book early, the convent fills up fast.
Old Jan 22nd, 2004, 01:10 PM

I agree they are safe, clean, and adequate. The nuns we met visiting Rome on their Golden Jubilee were a hoot at the breakfast table in the mornings. they won the money and the sisters back in the states voted to let them keep the money to use for their Jubilee trip. You will get get woken up rather early by early mass in the chapel next to your rooms though...
Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 02:10 AM

We stayed at the Casa Beata Margherita Caiani Convent (via Fabio Massimo, 26 Rome) in June 2001.
A triple room with ensuite was then only 120,000 lire a night ($35AU each)
Check out other religious institute accommodation on
www.romeguide.it
the above convent is on this site and you can check out rooms etc.
The nuns did not speak english but we had a great 2 nights there. Just near the vatican. There was a curfew but it did not worry us as we were very tired each day from all the working etc. Lots of nice restaurants near by.
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 01:57 PM

Bed and Blessings is an excellent guide to convent stays. I used Casa di Accoglienza "PaoloVI" in Rome. It is across from the entrance to the Vatican Museums on Viale Vaticano,92. We found a convenient Metro stop near the convent.

Also used Villa Agape in Florence. It was a fantastic place on the outskirts of the city. But it was so beautiful and quiet. Again we found a bus stop nearby or used a cab to go into the city. They served meals at the convent and they were so good and reasonable.